Jacks Vs Hydroponic Research

• Thread starter Savage Henry
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

Pimples

I can second this...jacks (and other raw salt formulas - I've used a few and made my own) made some great bud and I've never had nutrient problems or poor yields with salt, but there is a considerable quality increase, in flavor and aromas, with veg+bloom.

I think what really takes the cake, though, is the quality of extracts when you grow with veg+bloom. The difference there is absolutely noticeable - everything tastes like it's live resin, very very loud.
What is in Veg+Bloom that makes a considerable increase in flavor and aroma (quality) compared to Jacks or other "raw salt formulas"? I thought Hydroponic Research Veg+ Bloom was a raw salt formula. Besides some slight additives like fulvic acid.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

What is in Veg+Bloom that makes a considerable increase in flavor and aroma (quality) compared to Jacks or other "raw salt formulas"? I thought Hydroponic Research Veg+ Bloom was a raw salt formula. Besides some slight additives like fulvic acid.

There are a lot of unique sugars and complex carbohydrates in the mix - he uses a few ingredients that are custom manufactured from bodybuilding/vitamin supplement manufacturers. Since these are technically sugars they are considered organic compounds as opposed to ionic salts, which gives them a different chemistry in the medium and hence the opportunity for more microbial metabolites to be uptaken by the plant.

SMACKA

SMACKA

What are the downsides of Jacks (assuming 3-2-1)?

I've read that it doesn't jive well with customizing your feeding with additional products, which doesn't bother me too much because I'm a 'meat & potatoes' kind of guy. Keep it simple, avoid finesse.

Assuming I'm okay feeding straight Jacks 3-2-1 (into small coco pots) without customizing the schedule too much, what are the negative aspects of using an agro-industry product?

P

Pimples

What are the downsides of Jacks (assuming 3-2-1)?

I've read that it doesn't jive well with customizing your feeding with additional products, which doesn't bother me too much because I'm a 'meat & potatoes' kind of guy. Keep it simple, avoid finesse.

Assuming I'm okay feeding straight Jacks 3-2-1 (into small coco pots) without customizing the schedule too much, what are the negative aspects of using an agro-industry product?
If the fertilizer contains pH buffers like the hydroponic store liquid brands and the micronutrients like iron have been chelated ...there isnt a downside. Its the same minerals. We have been paying for bottles of water and fancy labels for a really long time. I mean really...if a hydro brand of nutrients adds fulvic acid or kelp to a typical 2 part (Canna - Advanced - Nutrifield - House & Garden) is it an amount thats really making a noticeable difference? I use kelps and fulvics as supplements. And its alot more than what your getting if its already added to a 2 part. There might be bio supplements they add but its in such small amounts as to make them ineffective really. They cant add a ton because it would throw shit out of balance. They add stuff like kelp..aminos..and humic/fulvic to say they add it and make you buy it. But in reality...you have to buy the actual supplements seperate in order to see any real benefit.

Last edited:
xavier7995

xavier7995

damn good post.

I grow with jacks and have not seen a downside. Stuff works great and is the cheapest option I have found, you may be able to shave a few bucks by ordering raw components and mixing your own but that's more trouble than it's worth in my humble opinion. I don't have a set feed amount really, just up the amount of calnit during veg so it's about equal to the base amount BY VOLUME and cut down the calnit during flower to get rid of excess N. I had read that you don't really need the extra magnesium as the base has quite a bit, seemed like a reasonable argument, but I did wind up mg deficient without it so have started using it again.

R

Rawrthis

I use an electric hand mixer. Also, first I structure my water (do a search for structured water), then add the nutes to ~ 2.5g. I used to have some clumping, but not in a long time. It could be the structured water (see my DIY in my Hail Hydro thread), or that I no longer mix > 600ppm, or maybe HR has done something

Speaking of structure water, have you measure the brixs level when you structure water and when you haven't? And what's your opinion on structure water so far?

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Speaking of structure water, have you measure the brixs level when you structure water and when you haven't? And what's your opinion on structure water so far?

No way to test, unless doing a side by side

Since posting this I learned the water needs to have minerals in it (+/-) charges in order to structure, so I add some minerals then mix in a blender, then add to the bucket I mix nutes nutes into

see www.pythagroras432.com

P

Pimples

View attachment 585262 One more added expense that is worth its weight in gold and I bought it as junk. The yellow one was bought from a lab supply company. For all people who mix small to medium quantity is wonderful as they stir and heat.
The fact that salts and sugars will dissolve better if you raise the temperature at around 110 F. I usually mix for about 30 min. and never have unsolved particles that I can see am 67 and might miss some but not much. I felt it was over kill and after a month bought the second one for $145. The first one still in the foam was from a school sale $25 was a steal.
One of these would fit me and my system PERFECTLY. I gotta have one.

DoctorBuzz

DoctorBuzz

I am right in the middle of this decision myself.

I will be running Jack's & Ful-Power in my Rockwool setup this round and V+B in another Rockwool room. We shall see..

I haven't done the cost analysis yet, but when purchasing Jack's in bulk I highly doubt V+B could come close.
GR33NL3AF...

Did you find that V+B was in ANY way comparable to Jack's???

I've found that I can get Masterblend a tad cheaper than Jack's.... plus Masterblend comes in a combo pack that saves me SOME kinda time during the ordering process. Hard for me to think that any of these 3 are much better than the other, so I feel like I should be going for the cheaper option overall.

I'm also interested in the 6-30-30 Mendocino Flower & Bloom by Grow More.... which I think has amino acids and other goodies unique to it over many other ferts. Can't really find too many comparisons between these 4, tho. Seems like most people are like me and just pick the cheapest one.

Hope you're still around and can provide us with an update. :-D

Thegreywizard

Thegreywizard

After reading this thread and We Solidarity's comments, I had the exact same question.
There are a lot of unique sugars and complex carbohydrates in the mix - he uses a few ingredients that are custom manufactured from bodybuilding/vitamin supplement manufacturers. Since these are technically sugars they are considered organic compounds as opposed to ionic salts, which gives them a different chemistry in the medium and hence the opportunity for more microbial metabolites to be uptaken by the plant.

HR seems to be quite a bit more expensive than Jacks.

So the only real difference is that HR has carbs in the mix?

From my research, it isn't the carbs giving it increased flavor & odor, but sulfur and guanos do.

So why pay so much more for HR over Jacks for just some simple sugars/carbs?

Does it have addee sulfur that helps a plant push aromas and flavors?

Top Bottom