Jar curing questions

• Thread starter DreamTHC
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DreamTHC

DreamTHC

So I harvested one of my Auto Kush plants last week (monday) and hung dry them in my basement for a week (60% humidity) until the buds were a little crispy on the outside and the stems snapped. I now have the buds in jars with hygrometers and Boveda 62% packs. I've been keeping a close eye on the buds over the past couple days and they def have a hay-like smell to them. According to my hygrometer they are sitting at about 62-64%. Should I keep burping? Will the hay smell go away or do I keep burping until that smell goes away? Do I just seal them up now and as long as they dont go above 64% I'm good? This was an outdoor grow if that matters at all.

Help!

Kush
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Looks good! Take them out, hay smell means too wet, jar at *60% rh or below for best results
*(57-60%)

DreamTHC

DreamTHC

Looks good! Take them out, hay smell means too wet, jar at *60% rh or below for best results
*(57-60%)
Will do! Once I get below 60%, should I expect the hay smell to go away? I guess I'm most confused about how it should smell before I stop burping?

Mattyice

Mattyice

Keep burping the chlorophyll smells will eventually dissipate and start to turn skunky, or kushy lol. Curing takes patience for good smells and tastes and potency 👍 as time goes by you can burp less. Once the (hay smell )is gone. Also keep in a dark cool dry place, not cold but cool. Hope this helps

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

So I harvested one of my Auto Kush plants last week (monday) and hung dry them in my basement for a week (60% humidity) until the buds were a little crispy on the outside and the stems snapped. I now have the buds in jars with hygrometers and Boveda 62% packs. I've been keeping a close eye on the buds over the past couple days and they def have a hay-like smell to them. According to my hygrometer they are sitting at about 62-64%. Should I keep burping? Will the hay smell go away or do I keep burping until that smell goes away? Do I just seal them up now and as long as they dont go above 64% I'm good? This was an outdoor grow if that matters at all.

Help!
If you sit them out for an hour a lot of that smell will go away; after you put them back in the jar for a few hours you'll know how much of that hay smell is going to stay, it depends how wet they were when you put them away and how long you left them sealed wet, but this is just from my experience

I have a designated drying area and I do a very short cure now and I haven't had any hay smell at all in several years. It's really a learning curve, curing is like the Alchemy in this thing we do; good luck and if I can answer any other questions just ask

Madbud

Madbud

If you sit them out for an hour a lot of that smell will go away; after you put them back in the jar for a few hours you'll know how much of that hay smell is going to stay, it depends how wet they were when you put them away and how long you left them sealed wet, but this is just from my experience

I have a designated drying area and I do a very short cure now and I haven't had any hay smell at all in several years. It's really a learning curve, curing is like the Alchemy in this thing we do; good luck and if I can answer any other questions just ask
Makes sense

Brotofsky

Brotofsky

I not only open the jars but I also dump them out for 1 hr every few days in the 1st few weeks just to insure all the buds cure well.

Rikismom420

Rikismom420

I dried my in fridge partially , put n paper plates, then put in jars for about a week the. Dumped on paper plate in box...?? Humid but it’s been 2 and weeks and they are perfect, had the i. Open baggies in box , seems to work. Think it depends on the weather at your home and temp whatever u place them in and think trial and error.. I had some hay smell but in about 3 weeks from harvest it started out getting skunky and lovely and keeps on getting better..so good luck... this was my first grow and dry and cure and I did a bit of everyone’s info and my own thoughts and it worked for me...just my 2 cents 😊

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter

Help!
As long as they are kept fairly dry and without the chance of mold or mildew, I have noticed that it takes about 3-4 weeks to get the hay smell to dissipate, and the buds seem to get stronger at the same time. I have noticed that every grow, the buds get better after about 3 or 4 weeks, although I can't explain the reason. Once the buds get to the stage that they can be crumbled instead of just smashed up when a bud is broken up, it seems to increase potency. It shouldn't, but I have noticed this for mny years. The potency seems to go up as the hay smell goes down.
Once your humidity is stabilized and at the proper dryness, I don't think there is any advantage to burping any more. In my opinion.

Rikismom420

Rikismom420

As long as they are kept fairly dry and without the chance of mold or mildew, I have noticed that it takes about 3-4 weeks to get the hay smell to dissipate, and the buds seem to get stronger at the same time. I have noticed that every grow, the buds get better after about 3 or 4 weeks, although I can't explain the reason. Once the buds get to the stage that they can be crumbled instead of just smashed up when a bud is broken up, it seems to increase potency. It shouldn't, but I have noticed this for mny years. The potency seems to go up as the hay smell goes down.
Once your humidity is stabilized and at the proper dryness, I don't think there is any advantage to burping any more. In my opinion.
Alchemy 😇✨

DreamTHC

DreamTHC

Thank you! I have a couple of the jars down to 57% after letting the buds sit out for an hour or so. 57 is what its reading after being jarred back up over night. I popped the top this morning and the hay smell is pretty faint at this point, but no danky smell that I'm looking for. As long as it stays under 60%, should I just keep them jarred from here on out for a few weeks?

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Thank you! I have a couple of the jars down to 57% after letting the buds sit out for an hour or so. 57 is what its reading after being jarred back up over night. I popped the top this morning and the hay smell is pretty faint at this point, but no danky smell that I'm looking for. As long as it stays under 60%, should I just keep them jarred from here on out for a few weeks?
I don't know this for a fact but I've been taught do not let your Rh go below 57% because that's where the curing process stops

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I dry them in a sealed area with a steady 60% humidity for 6-7 days

then I'll put them in a jar and check the RH

If it's 60%rh or under I begin the jar Cure

if its above 60 I'll hang it back up to continue drying

I may turn my drying room humidity down by 1/2 or 1% RH at this point too

There are many ways to do this, this is mine, hope it helps!

DreamTHC

DreamTHC

When you say jar cure, do you mean seal them up for a few weeks? No more burping?

BloodShot

BloodShot

I've dried my flowers and now I'm in the process of burping the jars a couple times each day until desired moisture content is reached throughout flowers . I don't have any moisture meters atm and never used them but now have a Boveda pack in a couple jars.
When I am content, I will seal it in jars by sucking the air out.
This is fire and glad I took a clone, taste is smooth for just dried and burped a few days. It's sticky and the smell is wonderful since chop.
A few pics of BC big bud curing. I weight out over 84 grams of fine hard tops and haven't weighed any of the other buds but I'm very happy wit it.
😊
IMG 6113
IMG 6114
IMG 6115

Rikismom420

Rikismom420

I've dried my flowers and now I'm in the process of burping the jars a couple times each day until desired moisture content is reached throughout flowers . I don't have any moisture meters atm and never used them but now have a Boveda pack in a couple jars.
When I am content, I will seal it in jars by sucking the air out.
This is fire and glad I took a clone, taste is smooth for just dried and burped a few days. It's sticky and the smell is wonderful since chop.
A few pics of BC big bud curing. I weight out over 84 grams of fine hard tops and haven't weighed any of the other buds but I'm very happy wit it.
😊
View attachment 891349View attachment 891350View attachment 891351
Pretty pretty pretty ☺️

Latest posts

Top Bottom