Grateful Dead | Frost Amphitheater – Palo Alto, CA | May 10th, 1986
31 years ago today
Jerry1111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111

Photo: Ron Delaney

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
wow what a coincidence. 26 years ago today...

Just found this...
My first dead show was also the first time they played eyes...

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Grateful Dead | Chateau d’Herouville - Paris, FR | June 21st, 1971

“In June of 1971, the Dead found themselves at the 17th century Chateau d’Herouville, our lodgings 35 miles outside of Paris; having come to France for a one-off concert at a mammoth outdoor festival just outside Paris. But while the band, crew and gear were on a plane flying over the Atlantic, a deluge of a rainstorm forced a cancellation of the festival, which they learned only after they landed.

This photo... shows Jerry, having come downstairs for lunch ahead of most of the others, sitting patiently at the dining hall table. Out of frame to the right was film score composer Michel Magne, in whose historic and rambling home we were pleased to be staying. (The paintings are by Magne, who recorded his film scores in the Chateau’s top floor recording studio – also the site of Elton John’s recording for his album “Honky Chateau”.)

With several free days until our return flight home, we were able to drive into Paris for some sightseeing, enjoy the lovely hospitality at the Chateau and spend a restless night there during a howling rain and wind storm. And of course, with the band being there with their gear and no gig, music just had to manifest. So, 46 years ago today, Magne threw a lawn/pool party at the Chateau, invited the band to set up, had a TV film crew come out from Paris to light and record it and the rest is history. (The film can be seen on YouTube.)

Jerry has been quoted as saying, ‘We didn't even play to hippies, we played to a handful of the Auvers townspeople. We played and the people came — the chief of police, the fire department, just everybody. It was an event and everybody just had a hell of a time — got drunk, fell in the pool. It was great.’

(I was brought along as the French interpreter, and it remains one of my fondest memories of my time with the Grateful Dead.)” - Rosie McGee, Photographer and Storyteller
Jerry france

Jerry looks well.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Grateful Dead | Chateau d’Herouville - Paris, FR | June 21st, 1971

“In June of 1971, the Dead found themselves at the 17th century Chateau d’Herouville, our lodgings 35 miles outside of Paris; having come to France for a one-off concert at a mammoth outdoor festival just outside Paris. But while the band, crew and gear were on a plane flying over the Atlantic, a deluge of a rainstorm forced a cancellation of the festival, which they learned only after they landed.

This photo... shows Jerry, having come downstairs for lunch ahead of most of the others, sitting patiently at the dining hall table. Out of frame to the right was film score composer Michel Magne, in whose historic and rambling home we were pleased to be staying. (The paintings are by Magne, who recorded his film scores in the Chateau’s top floor recording studio – also the site of Elton John’s recording for his album “Honky Chateau”.

With several free days until our return flight home, we were able to drive into Paris for some sightseeing, enjoy the lovely hospitality at the Chateau and spend a restless night there during a howling rain and wind storm. And of course, with the band being there with their gear and no gig, music just had to manifest. So, 46 years ago today, Magne threw a lawn/pool party at the Chateau, invited the band to set up, had a TV film crew come out from Paris to light and record it and the rest is history. (The film can be seen on YouTube.)

Jerry has been quoted as saying, ‘We didn't even play to hippies, we played to a handful of the Auvers townspeople. We played and the people came — the chief of police, the fire department, just everybody. It was an event and everybody just had a hell of a time — got drunk, fell in the pool. It was great.’

(I was brought along as the French interpreter, and it remains one of my fondest memories of my time with the Grateful Dead.)” - Rosie McGee, Photographer and Storyteller
View attachment 712369
Jerry looks well.

here's the show..

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Awesome show opened with feel like a stranger. Weather was perfect. The party in the long forgotten gravel parking lot was jammin. Slept in a home made TP Saturday night. Got up the next morning and went back for some more.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Awesome show opened with feel like a stranger. Weather was perfect. The party in the long forgotten gravel parking lot was jammin. Slept in a home made TP Saturday night. Got up the next morning and went back for some more.
Where are the shows ?

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Autzen stadium, Eugene Oregon. Go ducks!! If I remember correctly indigo girls opened. Every summer the dead played there. I always liked the June July shows. The august shows were always hotter then shit. Literally.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
It's been 22 years now.

Jerry Garcia passed away on Aug. 9, 1995.

It just doesn't seem possible that it has been that long.
Trips1111111111111111111111111111111

What is the first song that comes to your mind when you hear Jerry's name?

RIP Capt. Trips. Return If Possible. A lot of people would like that very much.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Althea!! Collecting thoughts and enjoying life. We are so grateful that we had the opportunity in our lives to experience his life and music.

DAT

DAT

i saw a magnificent concert yesterday and the lead singer looked and reminded me a lot of Jerry.
Powerful Godlike Presence only the great ones have.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Was there for all 3 shows..
Fond memory..
I traded extra tickets for goodies in parking lot..
Mushrooms, hash, weed, opium gooey ball.
first day was a bit late entering. I found a spot 5th row and the guy was a biit upset me sorta hoarding in..
I whipped out a hash, opium weed joint and fired it up. gave hime some shrooms as well
that joint lasted the whole show, we got tore up!!
Next day I was walking in front of stage pre show and there he was yelling my name jumping up and down pointing to my spot...
we were having a high time...
Living the good life..
well I know...

Reactions: sun
Top Bottom