Premium Member
Supporter
Would be awesome..
Deeeeeeeead

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Today marks the 45th anniversary of the release of the landmark Grateful Dead album, Workingman’s Dead.

“We're kind of on the far fringe of it, but we're part of that California Bakersfield school of country and western rock 'n' roll – Buck Owens, Merle Haggard. We used to go see those bands and think, 'Gee, those guys are great.' [Buck Owens' guitarist] Don Rich was one of my favorites, I learned a lot of stuff from him. So we took kind of the Buck Owens approach on Workin...gman's Dead. Some of the songs in there are direct tributes to that style of music, although they're not real obvious... But certainly there was a conscious decision. And then that, of course, led Hunter and me into the gradual discovery process of crafting a song, putting a song together that is singable, that has the thing of being able to communicate at once at several levels, and that you can feel good about singing” - Jerry Garcia
Wd

UCMETOO

UCMETOO

Today marks the 45th anniversary of the release of the landmark Grateful Dead album, Workingman’s Dead.

“We're kind of on the far fringe of it, but we're part of that California Bakersfield school of country and western rock 'n' roll – Buck Owens, Merle Haggard. We used to go see those bands and think, 'Gee, those guys are great.' [Buck Owens' guitarist] Don Rich was one of my favorites, I learned a lot of stuff from him. So we took kind of the Buck Owens approach on Workin...gman's Dead. Some of the songs in there are direct tributes to that style of music, although they're not real obvious... But certainly there was a conscious decision. And then that, of course, led Hunter and me into the gradual discovery process of crafting a song, putting a song together that is singable, that has the thing of being able to communicate at once at several levels, and that you can feel good about singing” - Jerry Garcia
View attachment 516196

Pig still looks like the only one headed out to work to me,....the rest of them look like their waiting on The Man!

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Looking back on the Grateful Dead's performance at Watkins Glen on this date in 1973. A massive festival with over 600,000 attendees in upstate New York, Watkins Glen also featured The Band and members of the Allman Brothers Band and remained one of the Dead’s landmark shows in tape trading circles.

Listen to “Mountain Jam” from the Dead’s set which also featured members of the Allman Brothers and The Band: http://bit.ly/1Mt1Bal
Gd11111

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
...wrong show--
nevermind...
...I thought the boxcar fence was Watkin's Glen,
but it was Englishtown, N.J.--
here's some pics from Watkin's Glen...

(replace "invalid" with flickr)

Englishtown1
Last edited:
geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
JERRY DAY 2015
Jerry Garcia Amphitheater / McLaren Park
45 John F. Shelley Drive
Excelsior District - San Francisco, CA 94112
----------------------------------------------------
Please Note: Jerry Night 2015!
August 1st @ Leo's Music Club - Oakland, CA

Grateful Bluegrass Boys, Cold & In the Bay (both acts featuring members of Hot Buttered Rum and Poor Man's Whiskey!)
Brian Godchaux & Sandy Rothman open! - $1 from each ticket goes to Jerry Day 2015!
---------------------------------------------------------------------
August 2nd - Jerry Day @ Jerry Garcia Amphitheater
2015 Lineup.....

Stu Allen & Mars Hotel - 3:00pm

Melvin Seals and JGB - 1:00pm

Terrapin Family Band - 12:00am

Check Engine Acoustic - 11:15am
--------------------------------------
http://www.jerryday.org/

JerryDay1

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjeeeeerrrryyyyy

Day one, Happy birthday Jerry...
All the years combine
Rsj

We move into the second day of the All The Years Combine: Celebrating Jerry Garcia in Picture tribute with a portrait of Jerry Garcia taken in 1969 by Baron Wolman, Rolling Stone’s first editor of photography.

"It was early in 1969, that Jann [Wenner] finally decided to do a Rolling Stone cover story on the Grateful Dead. We all wondered why it took him so long - of all the homebrewed bands in San Francisco, the Dead was the one with the greatest mystique, the ones with the ...fans, the delightfully rabid Dead Heads. The editorial crew asked me how I wanted to shoot the Dead. I decided I would make the photos in the style of one of my photographic heroes, Richard Avedon, one by one, with a plain studio grey background and simple studio lighting. There is much more to this story but this shot of Jerry Garcia tells a lot of it. The entire band was relaxed when they showed up at my home-based studio, a couple of blocks from the Dead’s house at 710 Ashbury St. It was an even more relaxed Jerry who opened his hand to me, the one with the missing digit, for, as far as I can tell, the first time he publicly and so openly showed his imperfect picking hand. I call the photo, 'Jerry Waving.'" - Baron Wolman

Signed & numbered limited edition archival photo prints of Jerry Waving, 1969 are available for a limited time via the Garcia Family Provisions online store: http://bit.ly/JerryPrints. To learn more about Baron Wolman's photography, visit FotoBaron.com.

Last edited:
chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
We move into the fourth day of All The Years Combine: Celebrating Jerry Garcia in Picture with a psychedelic photograph of Jerry in his one-of-a-kind Nudie suit shot by friend and photographer Roberto Rabanne. Roberto offers the tale behind this image, and the subsequent limited edition print below:

“This is one of my favorite shots of Jerry. I shot this photo in 1972 at the New Year’s Eve show, Winterland SF. I had my usual spot at the foot of the apron, stage right of Jerr...y.

He whispered to me just prior to going on that he thought it was a going to be a fashion moment he might regret, ‘but what the hell, I love this suit!’ I told him that he looked very cool, and that this would be a historic moment, he just laughed ‘yeah, right on.’

And so moments later he went on stage. The crowd roared their approval. I think they were in shock and could not believe Jerry’s sartorial splendor. When the spotlights hit him, the ‘WOW!’ effect was spectacularly blinding!

That particular show was equally spectacular. That night Jerry and the band were in that intense mythical groovy space like no other, I will never forget the experience and this photo says it all.” – Roberto Rabanne

Signed & numbered limited edition archival photo prints of Jerry Garcia – Nudie Suit, 1972 are available for a limited time via the Garcia Family Provisions online store via bit.ly/JerryPrints. Roberto created this special psychedelic version to commemorate the band’s 50th anniversary. It is printed on premium archival metallic paper as an 11×14, 16×20 and 20×30 in a limited edition of 250 prints per size. Once this edition is sold out the original file will be destroyed to guarantee that this photograph as is will never be reproduced again insuring that the value of the print will only increase with time.

To learn more about Roberto Rabanne’s photography, visit RobertoRabanne.com.
Jerrry27

420 lyfePpP

420 lyfePpP

Another tear jerker
This is so well done, Fare thee well to all the folks they show who are gone''
Jerry, Janis, Brent, Keith, Pig Pen...
I love them all more than words can tell..
All we have left to comfort sooth is to listen to this wonderful music and let it rock your soul....
Forever Greateful...
Coffee dubie and tears, what a way to start the day...
It's all good though..
Great tune

Top Bottom