tokeroo

tokeroo

First the infos:

Strains:
1 x Nirvana's Jock Horror - feminized
1 x Nirvana's Bubblicious - feminized

Germination Rate:
Jock Horror - 1/1 germmed
Bubblicious - 3/3 germmed, had to abandon the first 2 iterations due to poor environment while moving to my new setup.

Planting Dates:
Jock Horror - Feb 16, 2011 - named "Jock Horror #1"
Bubblicious - Mar 5, 2011 - named "Bubblicious #1

Cabinets:
Veg: Black and Decker plastic utility cabinet
Flower: Closetmaid Base Cabinet - 34-3/4 in. high x 24 in. wide x 15-1/4 in. deep

Lights:
Veg: Up to 4x 26w 6500K CFLs per plant
Flower: 4x 26w 2700K CFLs; 2x42w 2700K CFLs; 1x68w 2700K CFL

Soil/Nutes:
Starting Soil: Jiffy soil-less seed starting mix
Growing Soil: Miracle Grow "feeds for 3 months" potting soil.
Nutes: Schultz 20-30-20 starting at 1/4 strength and working up

Temps:
Veg: 95-100F - I will be working to remedy this tonight with a new 6" circulation fan I just received.
Flower: 85F +/- 3F - Will also be adding a 6" circulation fan to this environment.

Now a little write up:
This is my first grow with anything that amounts to better-than-bagseed-genetics. I know many people have issues with Nirvana, and their genetics are claimed to be not-so-stable. Honestly, I am still learning - so I really don't care. I am growing for me and the wife only, so this grow and future grows are on the small/micro scale.

A little background on my grows so far. I have successfully grown two females from bagseed, with my first being the obligatory oldschool "plant in the attic under some lights". IT was a beast for what it was. 4' tall and bush as heck. I topped it quite a bit (including topping tops of tops of tops), so it had growth everywhere. I managed to burn 50% of it up with a space heater, and didn't have enough light for the rest of it. The bud sucked.

The second grow was in a cabinet, downstairs, in one of those potato salad canisters you get from the grocery's deli. I pulled 1/2 oz off of it, and it was better than the bud the seeds came from. I ended up with headaches from it though.

For this grow, JockHorror #1 started out as a bushy stick. It didn't grow horizontally much at all. Unfortunately, I have no pics of that. I topped her a few nights ago and am expecting to have about 5 "main branches" (I got a little too clumsy with the razor and chopped one branch below the top site - yup, I was high). It's hard to tell, because she is so bushy and the nodes are pretty tight right now. I am will be LSTing her, as you can see in the pics. She is currently growing in a 2.5 gallon container.

Bubblicious #1 is looking to be a little runty right now. She had a little yellowing on the first sets of leaves - Not quite sure what that is from. It started before I transplanted her into the MG soil - so it was while she was in the Jiffy soil-less starting mix.

My watering schedule is "as needed" using the lift-the-pot method to determine when to water. I am feeding on average every other watering. Though on Bubblicious #1 I am trying a variant of the 'Make It Rain' method I saw on RIU. Essentially, flush with 1 gallon tap water (ph is around 6.5-7.0, it's well water) and then chase it will nutes. I just did this for the first time last night

I will be keeping an updated log below.

2/16 - Planted Jock Horror #1
2/17 - Jock Horror #1 sprouted and stretched a lot this day - it was in the closet with a single 2' tube flouro about 2 feet above it.
3/5 - Planted Bubblicious #1 into seed starting mix
3/21 - Topped Jock Horror #1, expecting ~5 main branches (due to my clumsiness)
3/22 - Fed Jock Horror #1 with 3/4 strength nutes
3/23 - Fed Bubblicious #1 with 1/3 strength nutes

tokeroo

tokeroo

Pics!

Jock Horror #1 is at 35 days from sprout
Bubblicious #1 is at 19 days from sprout

The temps in this cabinet are out of control. 95 is the normal temp it seems. I tried reversing the lower fan so that it also blew out, and the temps shot up to over 100 within about 10 minutes.

I have two 6" clip-on fans, and one is going in this cabinet to help move some air around. I have had to turn off a few of the bulbs to keep the temps below 100F.

I plan to have the temps down into at least the mid eighties by Monday.

Bubblicious1
Bubblicious1 nodes
Bubblicious1 top
Jockhorror1
Jockhorror1 lst
Jockhorror1 nodes
Jockhorror1 top
Cabinet
Temps
T

true blue

Look nice and green, my cupboard grow had a hole about 8cm in diameter in the top corner that expelled alot of hot air.Where is the air going?

Enjoy!

tokeroo

tokeroo

Thanks for dropping by!

I have two fans in there. If you look at the one pic with all the foil - the top left corner is a light trap, behind which is a 120mm pc fan sucking air out. I have had issues with the baffles inside the light trap not staying "straight" and at one time totally collapsed and the temps skyrocketed to 115F :(

In the same pic, the light trap in the lower right is bringing in "fresh" air with the same size/model fan.

Right now, both cabs are in my master bedroom closet. WE have attic access from this closet as well, so keep the access hatch open/ajar (at least) to help vent some of the hot air into the attic.

The flowering cab I just put together last weekend uses the same 1 inlet fan and 1 outlet fan and the temps stay stable around 85F with the lights on, with lights putting out more heat.

The differences:
-In the veg cabinet, the backing is plastic and ribbed/wavy. I was unable to cut a hole, so I drilled a bunch of 1/2 holes in a grid pattern.
-In the flower cabinet, the backing was the typical flimsy cabinet backing they use for cheap cabinets. I was able to cut two full size holes (one for each fan), and the fans are mounted on the exterior with the light traps also mounted exterior.

This weekend, if the circulation fan doesn't do much, I will be trying to find a way to cut the holes in the veg cab and move the fans/light traps to the exterior. Alternatively, I will just go buy another of the same cabinet I am using for flowering.

tokeroo

tokeroo

3/25 - broke one of the shoots near the top while LSTing. I have GOT to be more careful! The thing just snapped! :(
3/26 - Dressed Jock Horror #1's soil with some slow-release blood meal, and watered with plain tap water (ph of which is currently sitting at ~6.5).

I am noticing a little yellowing on JH#1. pH of the soil seems to be sitting around 5.2-5.5, which is of course way low. I am going to be monitoring this over the next few days and that may be the cause of the yellowing.

The circulation fans actually increased the temps. No matter what position I placed them, or what speed (1 or 2), the temps were 10-20F higher with them on.

For the Veg cabinet, I left the fans on the inside, but moved the light traps to the exterior, after I cut a real hole for both the outtake and intake. Temps are holding steady at about 87-88F with all lights on - 7 now.

I removed one of the lights from the main veg cabinet, wired up a new socket with a single y-adapter, and now have two 26w 6500K CFLs hanging in there. This cabinet is the bottom shelf of the black and decker utility cab. I plan on making this the cloning area. Temps hold steady at 84F, with a single active outtake and a passive intake, however I still need to add a light trap to the intake and some more foil to the interior.

Clone cab
Grow cab
Jh1 yellowing
420Gator

420Gator

the grow looks good but

jock horror..... the name sounds unpleasant, like worse than jock itch

Donnybrook

Donnybrook

Lookin Good tokeroo ,

A Shoestring Grow fer sure but looks like you'll be well rewarded in the end ,,,

tokeroo

tokeroo

thanks for stopping in guys!

Yes, unfortunately we have a child in the house and one on the way, and only three bedrooms and no garage, so I am very limited on space. I am in awe at some of the grows I see on here. I wish MMJ were "legal" in my state, because I live on a few acres, and I would gladly sacrifice almost a full acre to a bunch of bud :)

tokeroo

tokeroo

3/27 - topped Bubblicious #1. Attempted to save the cutting and clone it, it is currently in a Jiffy dome inside a Jiffy peat pellet. Outside the dome, temps are ~82-84F-ish. I left a little water in the tray to help add humidity, and need to pick up a sprayer bottle so I can mist inside the dome. Sitting under 2x26w 6500k CFLs

New pics tonight

OGBubble

OGBubble

Hey man gl on your grow I am sub's to this, it reminds me of when I first started growing because all I used to use when I started was CFL's. I can't wait to see how you do.
~Peace OGB

tokeroo

tokeroo

3/28 - watered Jock Horror #1 with straight tap water. Fast acting lime has taken effect, soil pH is reading right at 6.8-7.0. I also reworked the LST slightly. Need to get a few more tie offs in there.

Pics!

Pic 1: Jock Horror #1 from the top before watering
Pic 2: Jock Horror #1 from the top, after LST modifications, after watering
Pic 3: Bubblicious #1 from the top after topping
Pic 4: Bubblicious #1 from the side after topping
Pic 5: Bubblicious #1's top, attempting to clone it. It's hard to see, I need to clean off the Jiffy dome lid.

Jock horror 1 top
Jock horror 1 lst
Bubblicious 1 top
Bubblicious 1 side
Bubblicious 1 clone1
tokeroo

tokeroo

3/31/2011 - Watered JH#1 and Bubblicious #1. I did NOT "Make It Rain" for Bubblicious #1. Sprayed the dome and plant for BC#1 (That's what I'm calling the top of Bubblicious #1 that I am attempting to clone). So far the clone has stayed a perfect shade of ganja green with no yellowing or spotting at all. I don't know if it has rooted or not however. The peat pellet has been wet the entire time, so I am hoping root-rot (or mold or whatever) doesn't take hold.

tokeroo

tokeroo

4/3/2011 - Took two cuttings from JH#1 and placed in peat pellets inside the Jiffy dome. Used powder rooting hormone. She started showing preflowers this weekend, so figured it was prime time to take my first cuttings.

Adding another strain into the mix - Barney's Farm LSD. I germmed one seed and she sprouted a few days ago.

tokeroo

tokeroo

4/6/2011 - Watered Jock Horror #1 and Bubbilicious #1 and sprayed each with a nutrient solution to try and combat the yellowing. Transplanted the Bubbilicious clone into soil.

JH Bub lsd
Lsd
Bubbilicious clone
Jock clones
tokeroo

tokeroo

4/8 - watered both with nutes
4/11 - watered Jock Horror #1 with a spectracide bath

Temps have gotten slightly better in the veg chamber with some panda film. Don't know why that is running cooler than the reflective mylar (less direct reflection, more diffuse?) but it is. Had to close the attic access as wasps were finding their way in, so the closet these boxes are in is not venting much. Leaving at least one of the doors open results in a 2-3 degree temp drop.

Bubblelicious clone is still doing well. Hardening it off in the veg chamber now.

tokeroo

tokeroo

4/12 watered Bubblicious #1 with a spectracide bath. Bubblicious Clone looks to be exhibiting signs of growth! Yay looks to be my first successful clone. Need to read up on when to start the nutes on her. JH clones look "ok". One is all green and the other has yellowed some. No visible root growth yet.
4/13 JH#1 is showing new growth, finally. Bubblicious #1 is stunted at this point. Haven't seen much new growth in the last couple weeks. I am hoping the spectracide will do it's work and she will bounce back soon.

Also, the damn fans and light traps kept coming off the back of the veg chamber. Duct tape sucks for plastic, apparently. The "industrial" 3M velcro strips have trouble with plastic as well it seems. They stick, but eventually fall off. So what did I do? Used more velcro! lol I have tried hot glue already, that didn't work. I am going to crazy glue those fuckers on next time.

tokeroo

tokeroo

4/14/2011
Jock Horror #1
Watered her this morning with tap water.

Bubblicious #1
Still stunted. Pulled the rootball today and noticed some browning roots, did notice one bright white root coming out.

BC#1
She is looking right nice! Definite growth. Probably going to toss her into flower by this weekend.

JHC#1 and #2
I tugged ever so slightly on both, and both held. Roots must be forming!

Can't take pics since my sd card in my phone is fried. New one arrives tomorrow so hopefully I can get some shots in.

tokeroo

tokeroo

OK nabbed the point and shoot camera and got a few pics. I got a few pics of my harvest of my badseed grow I chopped last night. Sorry for the quality on the harvest shots. It doesn't do well in dimmer lighting.

The colas really do look bigger in person - they don't look impressive at all in the pics. But, it's my biggest harvest to date. Not bad for CFLs and having a myriad of issues.

Bubblicious is still looking bad. I am almost certain I have root rot, probably exacerbated by the bugs. I will probably let her dry out almost and then flush her with one more dose of spectracide. Not sure if there is anything I can do to "cure" the root rot though. I will have to put up a pic or two of her rootball once the soil dries some.

JH is looking good, despite the yellowing. I will be taking some more clones soon.

LSD is looking really weird. Bright yellow/green. One of it's first true leaves was stunted. Anyone else grown this strain (Barney's Farm)?

D2 BB3 Harvest
D2 Cola
Veg Cab
JH No1
Bubblicious No1
Bubblicious Clone
JH clones
LSD Seedling
420Gator

420Gator

maybe try a little nitro for the yellow ones...

nice looking buds:)

tokeroo

tokeroo

Thanks for dropping by!

yeah I just gave her a shot of nutes, so I am hoping she darkens up some.

Well, I made a spur of the moment decision. I killed Bubblicious.

But she lives on through the clones I took of her, I have several running right now, along with a few new clones from JH#1

I should be transplanting the first Bubblicious clone in a day or two, she will become the new mom.

Top Bottom