Joe's Fresh start...new to coco

• Thread starter Joe Fresh
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Tnelz

Tnelz

Tnelz, I like to let it range between 5.8-6.2, with occasional forays outside those parameters. HOWEVER, what's most important here is to use the plants as your guide instead of just chasing numbers. If growchick's plant is looking really good, then I wouldn't change anything just yet. Killed too many fish making changes trying to chase numbers.
I totally agree with u and bozo! I actually range from 5.7 to 6.0. Maybe I wasn't clear. I also totally agree that ur plants should tell u they r OK. However I think her plant could look OK for a while@ 6.3 but I'd be nervous that it's inviting a problem. Said problem could be easily avoided by dropping a couple points. I also don't think it's any harder to fix ur water to 6.0 6.1 5.8 than it is to get it to 6.3. Just my opinion and both u and bozo r probably much more experienced than me so I'd listen to u guys all day. Just think 6.3 isn't going to be a safe number in the long run. I've never ever had a ph problem in coco and don't feel like I'm chasing numbers. Just keep in in the tried and true numbers for coco!

growchick421

growchick421

Tnelz, I like to let it range between 5.8-6.2, with occasional forays outside those parameters. HOWEVER, what's most important here is to use the plants as your guide instead of just chasing numbers. If growchick's plant is looking really good, then I wouldn't change anything just yet. Killed too many fish making changes trying to chase numbers.
Thanks. 5.7 - 6.2 pH is usually what I have the hydro side at. Ill take some pics tonight, try to post soon.

Tnelz

Tnelz

I agree that it's a high number to stay pegged at. However, I think that *if* someone's going to stay pegged at a number growing in coir, that number should be 6.0.

Or, 42.
Hey sea. Just curious why u would pick 6. Not disagreeing just curious.

jiggaboojones

jiggaboojones

I use it cuz it is a more neutral side to the plants needs in that medium . if they are picky or heavy feeders n so on they tend to b more able to uptake if you are like me, mixing gallons at a feed time. I don't like to go over 6 but for a short time they can handle it . 5.5 is the lowest I would ever go . I don't have a digital meter anymore so I'm sure my ph fluxes a lil . I have made my own solution (ph down ) . for every two gal its four eye dropr squirts. roughly 8ml ....

Tnelz

Tnelz

I use it cuz it is a more neutral side to the plants needs in that medium . if they are picky or heavy feeders n so on they tend to b more able to uptake if you are like me, mixing gallons at a feed time. I don't like to go over 6 but for a short time they can handle it . 5.5 is the lowest I would ever go . I don't have a digital meter anymore so I'm sure my ph fluxes a lil . I have made my own solution (ph down ) . for every two gal its four eye dropr squirts. roughly 8ml ....
Can u share? Always looking to try new stuff. Very interested bro.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hey sea. Just curious why u would pick 6. Not disagreeing just curious.
Almost every coir cultivator I know who likes to keep a sweet spot has found that spot to be, for most strains, at 6.0. I personally find that to be too constricting, but when using it (pain in the ass for me), it's worked pretty damn well. It's just a level of precision that I don't like to fuck around with, to put it plainly.

I'm on Fuckit pillz all day long. :p

Happy pills

Tnelz

Tnelz

Almost every coir cultivator I know who likes to keep a sweet spot has found that spot to be, for most strains, at 6.0. I personally find that to be too constricting, but when using it (pain in the ass for me), it's worked pretty damn well. It's just a level of precision that I don't like to fuck around with, to put it plainly.

View attachment 378947
Ur awesome! I just would have thought it would have been 5.8. U taught me something today and I thank u madam!

growchick421

growchick421

View attachment 378947
I think everyone needs to take a couple of happy pills every once in a while.

Hazefeen

Hazefeen

My best advice for starting coco is all in the prep before you plant in it. Defianately rinse the coco with ph'd water, Some brands say you don't have to but I always do, just in case I'm OCD about making sure I start fresh without salt buildup already present. After The rinse I do add cal/Mag right to the coco. It seems like it's a 50/50 split on that. Some people do some people don't. I've seen no negative affects from adding cal/mag so never really tried it without it.

Good luck! I love coco! allows me to get great growth and use full organics in it :D

Gamrstwin36

Gamrstwin36

My best advice for starting coco is all in the prep before you plant in it. Defianately rinse the coco with ph'd water, Some brands say you don't have to but I always do, just in case I'm OCD about making sure I start fresh without salt buildup already present. After The rinse I do add cal/Mag right to the coco. It seems like it's a 50/50 split on that. Some people do some people don't. I've seen no negative affects from adding cal/mag so never really tried it without it.

Good luck! I love coco! allows me to get great growth and use full organics in it :D

Your on the MONEY with that . I use canna, i precharge with calmag and light veg nutes.
Respect!

Hope you nail down the coco Joe! !

growchick421

growchick421

So can I assume that u use strait coco and not the already amended stuff like Botanicare ready grow?? I add a little cal/mag to my nuts. She seems to like that alright.

Hazefeen

Hazefeen

So can I assume that u use strait coco and not the already amended stuff like Botanicare ready grow?? I add a little cal/mag to my nuts. She seems to like that alright.

Yes I use straight coco, I don't even add perlite. Never felt the need to. Although I will probably go through a phase where I try different things again, that's what led me to coco from soil in the first place :D

keep it green peeps!

Delerium

Delerium

What would be great is polyethylene tubing with holes already in it similar to a Halo Drip Ring.
Been looking for manufactures that make polyethylene tubing for John Guest / LIQUIFit style fittings with Halo style irrigation rings holes. DIY Halo Ring
Most I've found have been 6" on center for outdoor drip irrigation.

Top Bottom