July 22 Changes

• Thread starter littledutchboy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
littledutchboy

littledutchboy

Can someone sum up the changes that will be in effect? I have tried to look this up with no luck.

Thanks!

LDB

T

thefabman

Premium Member
Supporter
If you can make it up for our Whatcom farmers market on the 24th we will be having attourney Arron Pelley from Seattle up in the am before the event starts to go over the new laws for all our vendors....

GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

If you can make it up for our Whatcom farmers market on the 24th we will be having attourney Arron Pelley from Seattle up in the am before the event starts to go over the new laws for all our vendors....
Will you summarize them here for us that can't attend?

T

thefabman

Premium Member
Supporter
I will be happy to go over what he has to say and suggest after the event. You can get one discussion they had on June 30th in Seattle on the ASA website. It is about an hour and 15mins...

GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

So, the changes basically only affect dispensaries and collectives right? Not patients or caregivers? Do you have to be a collective to vend at a farmer's market in WA? I was hoping to vend my spare medicine at farmer's markets as a caregiver.

T

thefabman

Premium Member
Supporter
As for our farmers market we are only letting disp have promo booths, no meds. This is to make sure that there is first hand knowledge of the meds grown. So if you are a caregiver with all the proper paperwork then we would say yes, but cant say for the rest..

GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

Cool, thanks for the info. I'm pretty excited to be moving back to WA. Farmer's markets sound like the best way ever to get the end user in touch with the grower directly to assure they are getting the quality they want at a fair price. That's the best way to buy fruits & veggies so why not Cannabis? Awesome!

T

thefabman

Premium Member
Supporter
Thats the way i see it also.. Just picked up a couple cheap plastic water pipes for taster tokes at my table just like getting a slice of fruit before you purchase....

GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

Thats the way i see it also.. Just picked up a couple cheap plastic water pipes for taster tokes at my table just like getting a slice of fruit before you purchase....
They let people smoke at these events? How does that work legally? There used to be dispensaries in Denver where patients could medicate. They had to quit doing it though because of the liability issue with driving home afterwards.

T

thefabman

Premium Member
Supporter
Well we have a dedicated medicating area set up and are allowing caregivers with proper paper work for designated drivers. Also we have free time after the event to socialize and sober up before having to leave. In true farmer market tradition and for me about the patient, you should be able to sample your meds before purchasing!! Be happy to send ya to the tent with a taste.....

G

GrassRootz

Well we have a dedicated medicating area set up and are allowing caregivers with proper paper work for designated drivers. Also we have free time after the event to socialize and sober up before having to leave. In true farmer market tradition and for me about the patient, you should be able to sample your meds before purchasing!! Be happy to send ya to the tent with a taste.....

Samples are great, until you start to recognize all the folks who show up only for samples. They stand at your table, waiting for you to kindly hand over your hard-earned product, taking up room from legitimate customers. They walk out more stoned than anyone else, with a belly full of sampled edibles. Learn who these guys & gals are early, so you can be sure to spot them in advance at future markets.

So, the changes basically only affect dispensaries and collectives right? Not patients or caregivers? Do you have to be a collective to vend at a farmer's market in WA? I was hoping to vend my spare medicine at farmer's markets as a caregiver.

A "caregiver"? Sounds like too much liability. As qualifying patients, you and the market visitors are allowed to "fully participate in the medical use of cannabis" (69.51a.005 Purpose and Intent). Period. Done.

GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

Samples are great, until you start to recognize all the folks who show up only for samples. They stand at your table, waiting for you to kindly hand over your hard-earned product, taking up room from legitimate customers.
Exactly what I was thinking! I think samples are potentially a bad direction. Too much room for taking advantage of the growers. I imagine a lot of broke kids show up without any money just to get a free buzz.

Maybe if non-vending patients paid a cover fee and the vendor fees were drastically reduced this model would be better.

Am I going to be the odd ball if I'm not giving away free samples?

Also, smoking at the event will eventually draw more heat than if it were non smoking. The community at large still think driving after smoking is the same thing as driving after drinking booze.

Don't think I like the free sample idea at a venue such as this.

T

thefabman

Premium Member
Supporter
So if i was to get meds from you would i get to taste it first? Did i say it was a free for all? I think you may have this wrong. This is about the patient for me not profit. I do think Bill you might be the odd man out at this event but would fit in nicely at the seattle one. This is a private pre verified event to help patients...

GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

So if i was to get meds from you would i get to taste it first? Did i say it was a free for all? I think you may have this wrong. This is about the patient for me not profit. I do think Bill you might be the odd man out at this event but would fit in nicely at the seattle one. This is a private pre verified event to help patients...
No, I didn't know it was a pre-verified free for all. I thought this was the one that charged $250/day for vendors and was open to the public. I would be less worried about scammers at a venue like yours. Sounds like the way to do it.

Funny story; The last time somebody in this industry told me, "it isn't about the profit man, it's about the patients" the guy pocketed my pipe when I got distracted and split.

T

thefabman

Premium Member
Supporter
I guess your "google" didnt do very well in bringing up the event information!! You would have had a much better idea of our "first time" approach to this new type of event. And yes i do let all my patients sample first if they choose to taste.

Not to start any BS, but finally we are not giving some guy money to disappear for hours and come back with some unknown bag of who knows what. I get to pick out the pieces of fruit i want to buy...why not meds? If the medication is to work for me, would it not be benificial to know the genetics for the future. How can i research what strains work best without trying them? We just think this type of approach will be more benifical to everyone involved. Might not be for everyone though!!

G

GrassRootz

I guess your "google" didnt do very well in bringing up the event information!! You would have had a much better idea of our "first time" approach to this new type of event. And yes i do let all my patients sample first if they choose to taste.

Not to start any BS, but finally we are not giving some guy money to disappear for hours and come back with some unknown bag of who knows what. I get to pick out the pieces of fruit i want to buy...why not meds? If the medication is to work for me, would it not be benificial to know the genetics for the future. How can i research what strains work best without trying them? We just think this type of approach will be more benifical to everyone involved. Might not be for everyone though!!

I can certainly understand your point of view - we were very liberal with the notion of samples in the beginning, too.

And I suppose that while one person might argue that cannabis sampling is akin to fruit sampling, another might argue it akin to vicodin sampling & thus not the best practice. To each their own :)

littledutchboy

littledutchboy

I'm fortunate to live in Clark County and be dual carded for WA and OR. At the clubs what I can do as a patient is to get a gram or 1/8 of something to take home and try. While most have medicating lounges and a few do not, I prefer to take it home to try it. Then, if I like the strain, I can always go back and get more if I like it that much. If not, then it goes into the Mix canister for give aways to someone in need.

Top Bottom