Junk's Growing Log

• Thread starter SmithsJunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Looks cool. The only table top model we've considered is the 6 ton harbor freight press. Yours looks better. I would have to buy a milling machine to build that. Not likely anytime soon.

The 3.5" press I'm buying was intended mostly for personal. If I can make money with it I'll consider something larger. I need to know how much time it takes to go from grind to silicon container and what kind of yield I'm looking at. Several people have asked me to press for them but they're all growers and I have no delusions of being able to take on any jobs of that magnitude, yet.

I was watching Youtube videos of commerical extractions and surprisingly their machines were only 3 or 4 times as big as the one I ordered. I know they are also probably 5-10 tons of pressure but I'm guessing the press I ordered with it's small plates is likely a comperable pressure even at 4 tons. Should give me a decent estimate of what I can do with a larger machine. It makes sense to me now why rosin is selling at almost 20% more than shatter at the dispensaries, very tedious. It gives me hope of the possibility that I can compete with larger operations. I know there have got to be places using large hydraulic presses, however, those machines are extremely expensive and require a commercial power grid. Most processors wouldn't be able to afford it and even if they could, they probably aren't willing to risk the capital while the Feds continue to bust state legal businesses.

It is very cool that the natural bottleneck yields opportunity for ravenous litte entrepreneurs such as myself. Anyone who doesn't have to use employees always has a cost and survivability advantage over larger businesses. I'm very excited.

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

The press arrived and I'm trying to dial it in. Will have more pictures up when I do.

20171208 005142
20171208 004728

I'm consistently pressing around 15% from the Royal Nepal Kush. Running it at 93c (roughly 200F) and I got the same results from pressing 1gr and 2gr. I know the RNP is still holding a lot of rosin in the pucks I'm pulling so I think I'll run them again at a higher temp. I should be getting well over 20% but I wanted to get a tastier and more potent press the first few times through.

Any recommendations on a good temp to get a more thorough extraction @Farmer P ?

Farmer P

Farmer P

15 percent is about the best I've gotten. I usually run 210. I'd say keep playing with it and see what you come up with. Maybe check YouTube for some ideas. I just press small amounts to vape right away so not much help for you sorry. The press looks nice!

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

15 percent is about the best I've gotten. I usually run 210. I'd say keep playing with it and see what you come up with. Maybe check YouTube for some ideas. I just press small amounts to vape right away so not much help for you sorry. The press looks nice!

Thanks for the help.

Kicked it up to 103c and easily got another 5%. Works better with 2x 1gr pucks. More rosin gets pressed out the front and it does it more quickly. The quicker it comes out the front, the quicker the bulk of the rosin cools. I don't know if that'll make a noticable difference in the high but it does taste a lot more terpy.

20171208 074702
20171208 073127
20171208 081335
20171208 081620
20171208 081854
20171208 082513
20171208 082746
20171208 083145
20171208 083740

Giving honey badger kits as Christmas presents to the bud smokers in my family.
20171208 091307

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Just pulled 2g of rosin from 9.8g of Royal Nepal Kush at 93c(199F). That's 20.4%, f^ck yah!!!

I found the trick was to use ground bud in filter bags. I'm using KorLor 90micron silk bags. There was so much rosin pouring out of my press I had to hold a piece of parchment under the front opening to catch it all dripping out. Oh, what a terrible problem to have, lol. The first time I used one of the bags I put a few whole buds in it and barely any rosin escaped the bag's fibers. The key is to grind the bud and pack it so full it has nowhere to go but out onto the parchment. Did two presses, got 1.5g on the first, .5g on the second. The consistency of the second seemed more sticky wax than the first. Will have to smoke some of each to see if there's a potency difference, probably not. Will order the 27micron bags in the next couple days. That should give me cleaner material to use for making vape cartridges. The rosin I pressed from the pucks was too full of particulate and made the vape juice taste burnt. Also want to drop my temps down to around 175F to get a more potent, terpy, waxy, rosin.

I'm having so much fun with this press.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

To my friends here in Cali...

Lawmakers, in their greed, absolutely destroyed the market by putting no caps on large commercial grows. Though one good thing came from these idiotic new laws. Almost everyone, medical or no, can grow six plants. One grow with six plants can provide me with more than enough personal pot for a year plus. With a combination of six different strains and my new rosin press, I'll lack for nothing. For now, I think the the best way to make money on herb is not to spend money. It's also the best way to thumb our noses at the lawmakers who screwed us. I urge everyone to boycott all Cali dispensaries starting January 1st. If they won't buy from us then why should we buy from them? Please continue to get medical cards and share free weed with each other. It's legal and it will hurt the greedy legislators and all the people who colluded with them to put us small growers out of business.

If we join together we can break the backs of these f^ckers. Together, we are strong.

Last edited:
Farmer P

Farmer P

Lawmakers, in their greed, absolutely destroyed the market by putting no caps on large commercial grows. Though one good thing came from these idiotic new laws. Almost everyone, medical or no, can grow six plants. One grow with six plants can provide me with more than enough personal pot for a year plus. With a combination of six different strains and my new rosin press, I'll lack for nothing. For now, I think the the best way to make money on herb is not to spend money. It's also the best way to thumb our noses at the lawmakers who screwed us. I urge everyone to boycott all Cali dispensaries starting January 1st. If they won't buy from us then why should we buy from them? Please continue to get medical cards and share free weed with each other. It's legal and it will hurt the greedy legislators and all the people who colluded with them to put us small growers out of business.

If we join together we can break the backs of these f^ckers. Together, we are strong.

I seem to never see anything better than what I can grow myself at the disp's I've been to. I most likely won't be a buyer. It would have to be some of the best weed I've ever seen and even then I don't like paying retail. I'm spoiled now lol.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Lovin my new quad quartz coil e-mod for dabbing. Haven't had great luck with cheapy ceramic e-coil dabbers in the past but this guy is set to the perfect temp for dabbing wax.

20171224 203940
20171224 204222

They give you a leash that locks in under the chamber and can be removed completely. It also has a silcon lined dab container with two compartments, which is cool, but they didn't include something to carry the metal poker in. So, it's not a fully self contained, portable unit, as is, out of the box. No biggie, a small strap of vecro wrapped around the battery can easily fix that problem by giving the poker a place to tuck in.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I seem to never see anything better than what I can grow myself at the disp's I've been to. I most likely won't be a buyer. It would have to be some of the best weed I've ever seen and even then I don't like paying retail. I'm spoiled now lol.

I'm not impressed by the Sacramento dispensaries but my nearby delivery services/co-ops don't usually sell anything less than fire. It'd be pretty hard for me to grow much better. There's a service called Gitmo's that caters to our local weed snobs. Their prices are ridiculous but their selection is huge and their herb is off the hook. It's both a blessing and a curse to live where I do. Great weed is abundant and the growers are (were) generational, so good weed is cheap buying/and selling. For the most part, it's cheap enough that I can still turn a profit if I buy from them and extract to sell. Those guys aren't who I'm planning to boycott though. It's the new players opening the county backed dispensary in Nevada City that I've got beef with. They may be locals but the money probably isn't and the herb probably won't be either.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I'm still looking for the video these guys made doing this but I took a screenshot of the web version. Check this out and let me know what you think! (Hopefully it comes thru clear)
View attachment 766594

It was good enough to figure out what most of what it says. The unstructions are poor though. It says to place it in a parchment square but explains nothing about the square. Is the wax layed out on the square open faced, or is the parchment on top and bottom? Is it folded around, in halves, or like an accordian? Are the edges supposed to be open or folded closed? It at least needs a picture.

It looks cool and I want to try it but I don't want to waste a bunch of wax doing it wrong.

Are there better instructions?

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter

I like how you roll man. Stick it to em every chance we get. Doesnt matter whether Cali or Maine they all want to enrich themselves and dont give 2 shyts about the little guy. Hears a rigid middle finger to all the schmucks and their regulations!!!!! Would have said 2 middle fingers but my right hand was holding a fat azzed blunt!!!

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I like how you roll man. Stick it to em every chance we get. Doesnt matter whether Cali or Maine they all want to enrich themselves and dont give 2 shyts about the little guy. Hears a rigid middle finger to all the schmucks and their regulations!!!!! Would have said 2 middle fingers but my right hand was holding a fat azzed blunt!!!

F^ck yah!

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Happy holidays fellas! Hope all is well in your world's! I'm looking for the original video I saw on IG on the solventless THCA crystals. They used a stainless steel mesh on the other one I'm talking about. Still looking..

Happy holidays to you to!

Well, at least I finally know what the metal filter tubes are for now. I thought they were a bit expensive just for extracting.

Top Bottom