Jury Duty

• Thread starter revolutionseeds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

revolutionseeds

Premium Member
Supporter
So, I was called for jury duty. The guy on trial was an old black man, for heroin possession. During the selection process, in front of a courtroom full of potential jurors, cops, lawyers and obviously the judge, they ask everyone a series of question to determine eligibility. The judge asked if I had any problems, thus far during questioning. I told him I thought drugs should be legalized and regulated and that even if I thought he was guilty I wouldn't vote to convict him, because it was against my beliefs. The judge told me to leave. So, I'm proud of myself I stood up for what I believed in. I won't have to wake up knowing I sent some old guy to prison for something he should have received treatment for.

Hopefully, I changed some minds in the courtroom today, or at least gave others the strength to speak up for themselves....which in a courtroom full of people and cops, isn't the easiest thing to do.

On top of it all, I think the defendant was profiled.

chrometrichs

chrometrichs

Nice work, I have a feeling the defendant would of preferred you stay tho lol....

D

Donk Frog

two thumbs up...we all need to stand up for what we believe in a little more

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

I've been dismissed from two juries... no regrets.

R

Radio_Dread

yeah dude that is awesome to hear. really motivating story just made me give my gf a high five....lol... high fives all around:weed-sign:

M

MIZZ ELVIS

Good Job brother!!!!! I have been through the same ordeal, and I commend you as I know it's not the easiest thing to speak from your heart in a courtroom full of government assholes. High Five brother!!!!!:clapping

R

revolutionseeds

Premium Member
Supporter
I didn't even think anyone would read this thread, lol! Thanks a lot everyone! I'm sure you all would have done the same thing.

It wasn't much, but it goes to show you can turn lemons into lemonade in almost any situation.

High fives back at you all!

purpleberry

purpleberry

Why didnt just answer the questions you had to and maybe end up on the jury?
I really feel the same way about hard drugs, They just keep locking these guys up over and over it isnt going to get them off herion/meth. They should suplly them like they do in amsterdam with clean gov drugs and try to get them off it. That way they dont go steal and rob to buy crappy drugs some guy made in his bathtub.

Billygoat

Billygoat

Great job. I feel the same way. I think the world would be a better place. Great job sticking to your guns. I've been dismissed once.
Take care,
BG

R

revolutionseeds

Premium Member
Supporter
Why didnt just answer the questions you had to and maybe end up on the jury?
I really feel the same way about hard drugs, They just keep locking these guys up over and over it isnt going to get them off herion/meth. They should suplly them like they do in amsterdam with clean gov drugs and try to get them off it. That way they dont go steal and rob to buy crappy drugs some guy made in his bathtub.

I understand what your saying, that's a route I was prepared to take, but I'm not going to lie to get there. For one, I have a lot going on right now and my babies need me. Plus, they asked me a question and I answered it....hopefully, I opened some eyes. Even if I lied and answered all their stupid questions I still might not have been picked....there was a lot of people. I have actually served in a jury trial before, so I've done my dirty deeds for awhile. I voted that guy off too and happened to convince most of the jurors as well. He walked....after spending 6 months in jail, which I thought was punishment enough, even though I knew he was guilty. A few months later....I bumped into the guy in a bar. I told him I saved his ass...and to behave himself. Then we had a drink, lol!

As for Heroin itself....I have a major problem taking somebody's freedom away for using a drug our government is protecting and accelerating production of. Poppy production has gone threw the roof since we invaded Afghanistan. We....I mean our fucking renegade Nazi government.

I have actually never even seen Heroin, lol! Have no desire too either.

southstreets

southstreets

yea.. thats a tough one to deal with homie!!! but congrats.. i've done the same thing as you before and it was hard!!! i also got harrassed (profiling) by some cops and had to go to court to testify.. man was that a hard thing to do!!! but i laughed in the end.. as i was leaving the judge was reaming those cops a new one!!! made my year!!!lol...

P

pinhi

Hmmm not sure what I would do..never been called,,but if we all stand up for what we believe in it seems like the jury be full of people that think druggies should be locked up?

R

revolutionseeds

Premium Member
Supporter
Hmmm not sure what I would do..never been called,,but if we all stand up for what we believe in it seems like the jury be full of people that think druggies should be locked up?

Let's put it like this. My view point wasn't super popular amongst the courthouse crowd. On top of it all, I have always been petrified to speak in front of people, but I said my piece.

S

Sketch415

So, I was called for jury duty. The guy on trial was an old black man, for heroin possession. During the selection process, in front of a courtroom full of potential jurors, cops, lawyers and obviously the judge, they ask everyone a series of question to determine eligibility. The judge asked if I had any problems, thus far during questioning. I told him I thought drugs should be legalized and regulated and that even if I thought he was guilty I wouldn't vote to convict him, because it was against my beliefs. The judge told me to leave. So, I'm proud of myself I stood up for what I believed in. I won't have to wake up knowing I sent some old guy to prison for something he should have received treatment for.

Hopefully, I changed some minds in the courtroom today, or at least gave others the strength to speak up for themselves....which in a courtroom full of people and cops, isn't the easiest thing to do.

On top of it all, I think the defendant was profiled.

Last time I was sent to jury duty I got myself kicked out by telling em the truth: Im a homless, couch surfing transient medical marijuana patient.

=D

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

No need to volunteer more info than asked. You could have stayed to implement "jury nullification". Prohibition ends as soon as juries of peers will no longer convict. I think that was what happened in the 30's.

P

pinhi

Let's put it like this. My view point wasn't super popular amongst the courthouse crowd. On top of it all, I have always been petrified to speak in front of people, but I said my piece.

I hear ya..just thinking about being in that situation my hands get sweaty and my heart races lol

B

BUDOGHI

There's a time and a place for everything even heroin. To bad you couldn't stay to sway the jury. And plenty people have said the same thing to get out of jury duty.

R

revolutionseeds

Premium Member
Supporter
Honestly Budoghi, I wasn't trying to weasel out of jury duty. If I was I would have threw my summons away....like everyone else I know. I didn't know what case I was until I entered the courtroom and like I said before...I was prepared to serve, which I have done before. However, it was a drug case and no matter what I wouldn't convict the guy and I'm not going to lie about that. Yes, it is possible I could have made a larger impact, but that's rolling the dice...at least I know for a fact, what I said in court that day will probably make people think.....mission accomplished.

B

BUDOGHI

Sorry for the impression I gave. I know you hoped to have left a positive impression in the courtroom. I just saying to have done that you needed to stay in the courtroom.

Top Bottom