Just a few concerns

• Thread starter MonsterRobot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MonsterRobot

MonsterRobot

I have a lot of experience with commercial production using ebb and gro buckets and have always had great results. I recently left my job and am getting back to running fewer plants in order to stay legal so I was thinking about getting an UC system.

After doing some research the UC system seems like a whole new beast...

Basically, I am wondering if the UC is that much different than other hydro cultivation, or will I have to relearn a bunch of things?

The whole not knowing how much water is in the system at any given point in time seems odd to me and from what I have read you just have to "guess" as to how much nutrients to top off with instead of knowing that ___ gallons x ___ml = ___ml of nutes to add...

Either way I am going to get an UC and go for it but I was just looking for a bit of feedback.

Thanks,
MonsterRobot

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

System volumes are listed on the website but do not take into account a specific water level, which will fluctuate with each grower and planting style.

Total system volume is less relevant as long as you are mixing to a desired nutrient strength.

An easy way to dial in the UC if you want to use a standard feeding schedule is to have week one (for example) nutrients in the system and week two in the top off reservoir, repeat for each consecutive week.

If you must calculate volume, an 8 gallon module filled to the inner lip is approx. 6 gallons and a 13 to the lip is approx. 10 gallons. Depending on the size of the system the PVC manifold will hold anywhere from 2-20 gallons.

When in doubt purchase a small water meter.

R

reggiebaseball

I think the UC is a whole new system, a whole new learning curve.
Chillers to keep water temps down and much mroe concern about root rot.

What would NOT be new to you is using 10, 14, 18 or even larger rubbermaid tubs or trashbins as super-huge Ebb and grow pots.

Depending on the height of the vessel you could even use your old CAP controller bucket-- think 4 X 14 gallon rubbermaids running about 40 gallons of nutes in your res.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

I have 3 grows under my belt and feel this is the way to go as I am told how many plants I can grow but not how large. LOL. I found the expense gave me pause for concern at first but I have no regrets switching to the UC, I grew organic soil for 10 years and before that just about every way you can. Go slow don't improvise!!! that's the kiss of death with the UC. Less is more when adding nutrients. Keep humidity up 50 to 60+% and get a chiller this is key. Have a look at my grows and you will see some classic mistakes. Just when you think you know everything you get to learn more. Read some post by JackM and TexasKid, DesertSq to name a few and keep your expectations in check when reading there posts. I am averaging 1/2# per plant under 1000w so = 1# per lite.

MonsterRobot

MonsterRobot

water meter sounds like a good idea... didn't think of that... then I could use the meter to mark spots on the epicenter and use that as a reference point... I am probably thinking too much about that anyway...

Thanks for the help! I can't wait to get my new room set up...

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

I adjust my water level 3 times during my grow, other than that I don't worry how many gals as I just run by PPM.

MonsterRobot

MonsterRobot

for sure...
I am used to pulling around 1.5 per 1k using my ebb and gro system... That is with 3 weeks of veg... I hope to increase that and cut my veg time in half...

From the looks of things it seems doable...

R

reggiebaseball

for sure...
I am used to pulling around 1.5 per 1k using my ebb and gro system... That is with 3 weeks of veg... I hope to increase that and cut my veg time in half...

From the looks of things it seems doable...

There may be people killing it out there with the UC and not posting weights.
I mean, in theory, this could turn out 2 lb trees

But from all the journals and posts I have read, literally hundreds if not thousands of grows with the UC, mostly I see numbers like woodsmaneh. UC plants look awesome, I think it will be a huge yield every time, and then they pull 1/2per plant or 1 per light (.5g/w) which is not good if you are growing for a living.

Barney's Farm Vanilla Kush blows bannanas :banana1sv6:

All4freedumb

All4freedumb

Code:
Or you can pull numbers like 43p's with 19 lights and 24 plants, 46p's with 24 lights and 18 plants, and 49p's with 26 lights and 18 plants as I have.. I have had one bad run due to not enough lighting mixed with overgrown trees, lousy strain and a soft nute run. It's about nailing the system and reading your girls, just like every other style of growing. Yes, it has it's good and bad points so it's up to the person to find their needs and wants and rock it like one knows they can.. Blaming a system for a bad grow is like blaming the girl for not having an orgasim, your in control and it's up to you to mix everything just right and make your girls happy... Just sayin...

Not to start a argument or a cock showing contest but I did also do this using Advanced Nutrients... I know I know it's no good for this system... Haha. That's why I stay away from telling people what line I've been running.. I will be trying DM when I run out of AN but let me say this, if I see no big positive change (hard to believe I'll see a huge diff) I will not only switch back, seeing 90% of my additives are made by AN, but it further proves it's not the nute or the style of grow but the mix.. The UC has handled everything I've thrown at her so far...

S

sourkush91

Ya totally agree with ya all4free... I run the cc on alot smaller level than most people but always knock it out of the park 2 per light is very doable... i pulled 2 per light my first grow with a totally new room, new system, new nutes... totally uncharted territory the first run and was amazed about rapid growth of the system... I also used alot of additives from AN and had great results... This run i cut out most of the additives and kept it simple with a good mix and still blew it up

Top Bottom