Just Get My Grow Room Done,any Led Recommendation?

• Thread starter JAY EE
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kansabis

Yeah I've got a galaxyhydro 300 and a small marshydro ufo waiting to be gutted to see if anything can be used elsewhere,of course the mars has a few diodes burnt out but none that I know of in the galaxy.

Slappyjack

Slappyjack

"600w" meizhi (pretty damn close to mars...i researched the hell out of it) vs 600w quantum boards. Don't get me wrong. I'm not an expert. Based off everything I've read and seen though, the QBs are the way to go if going LED. Two of the meizhi's pull 554w at the wall. My qb's are 600w at the wall with a shit ton more usable light. I can put the other in the pic if necessary. The coverage difference is crazy. The qb build was $70 more than both of the meizhi.

20180327 145820
Last edited:
Slappyjack

Slappyjack

I have zero skin in this game BTW. I'm down for whatever anyone wants to do, and rooting for all of us. I spent a bunch of money, and then spent a bunch more. I learned a lesson and am just trying to share. I'll tell you though...I like to stand in front of the qb's. Makes me feel like Ray Liota in Revolver except I'm not naked.

Z

Zenuku

$300 can buy approx. 250 to 350 watt full spectrum grow light

DGP

DGP

Hottest board after 3 hours and a couple minutes.
That temp reading will probably be off quite a bit due to the emissivity of that shiny aluminum. An old thermal engineering trick, either:

1. spray a little flat black paint on the spot you want to measure and take a reading there after it is dry.
2. Less destructive method: Spray some Dr. Scholls foot powder on it then take the reading.
3. Even some matte black electrical tape or something like that would probably get you close.

The idea is to make it closer to a back body surface....

These spot thermometers are very inaccurate if you don't prep the surface for a reasonable emissivity.

Dee

Slappyjack

Slappyjack

That temp reading will probably be off quite a bit due to the emissivity of that shiny aluminum. An old thermal engineering trick, either:

1. spray a little flat black paint on the spot you want to measure and take a reading there after it is dry.
2. Less destructive method: Spray some Dr. Scholls foot powder on it then take the reading.
3. Even some matte black electrical tape or something like that would probably get you close.

These spot thermometers are very inaccurate if you don't prep the surface for a reasonable emissivity.

Dee
LOL. Same thing I do at work. Don't know why I didn't it. Thanks.

DGP

DGP

LOL. Same thing I do at work. Don't know why I didn't it. Thanks.
Yeah, I just built a 320W, 6 panel QB120 and I did the same measurement, hardly any heat and with the driver outside the room it runs super cool and the fixture is only 1.5" thick and 3 lbs. A really nice setup for a number of reasons, just love QB's. You get a true watt for a dollar or less (not specified 1200 watts when the thing is only drawing a true 200 watts like the lying bastards on ebay). In my case a 320 fixture that draws a true 320 from the wall and produces as much light as a 400-420 w HID or more.

Dee

xavier7995

xavier7995

Hey @DGP , thanks for researching and checking out led lights in such great detail. It has been really helpful and convinced me to give them a whirl. Big ups my dude!

DGP

DGP

Hey @DGP , thanks for researching and checking out led lights in such great detail. It has been really helpful and convinced me to give them a whirl. Big ups my dude!

Thanks, best wishes selecting the right LED type for your grow.

Dee

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Dee
Temp guns aren't accurate on bare alum. Go to Harbor Freight and pick up a cheap multimeter that's capable of temp sensing.
DSCN0828

Top Bottom