Just Got A New Job!

• Thread starter Joe Fresh
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

well after the last few years of having shitty low paying jobs on and off, i finally got something decent to start...i used to work as an apprentice carpenter but when my dad died his company went with him...since then i pretty much have sold various drugs, and grown weed, with the odd job here and there but nothing that paid anything close to decent...
well my friend came by today and said his brother is looking for ppl and will hire me starting at 22$/hr as a first year apprentice drywall/plaster guy...not what im looking for considering i just spent almost 2 years in welding school and now planned to take a heavy machinery course...but you know what, it pays very good and a good job is hard to find, let alone have one land in your lap....in 2 years i could be up to 35$/hr...and i know its easy work, i have already done it before when i did full renovations...so its not hard stuff, just boring and repetitive lol....but happy to have something that pays decent :)....now lets hope my "dont take shit from no one" attitude doesnt get in the way :D

Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly

good stuff joe but i see u as more of a self employed kind a guy like myself . The don't take shit thing don't float well with most employers . They like yes sir no sir type ;) not sure about Canada but why don't you get a bob cat and mini excavator . Alot over here do very well.

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

good stuff joe but i see u as more of a self employed kind a guy like myself . The don't take shit thing don't float well with most employers . They like yes sir no sir type ;) not sure about Canada but why don't you get a bob cat and mini excavator . Alot over here do very well.
yeah well that was my plan, to get mu license to drive a few different machines(cost about 3000$ each permit because by law you gotta take the course) and then after buy my own rig when i can afford it...but one thing at a time, and this is good for me, if i can last 2-3 years i get my journymans cards and those are good for life...gives me time to save up also

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

Been hanginging drywall for 10 years,started as an apprentice and worked my way up, I love everyday on the jobsite not for everybody tho. Good luck
ya well it will be a good change up i think, last 10 years my income has come strictly from selling drugs(before i got caught) and growing weed(which i will never stop :D) so a good steady union job with reg hours will be good for me, put some routine in my life.....to be quite honest, my GF is more excited than i am lol...

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

I have hung and taped many walls. Personally, drywall is next to painting as the worst part of the job. I don't mind framing, electrical, plumbing, insulating, ext, but painting and taping, ugg. Also, screw you union guys. You make a mess! ;)

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

I have hung and taped many walls. Personally, drywall is next to painting as the worst part of the job. I don't mind framing, electrical, plumbing, insulating, ext, but painting and taping, ugg. Also, screw you union guys. You make a mess! ;)
yeah i know, i think the only jobs worse on a site are insulation installer, and "the bitch" lol 90% of my experience comes from 8yrs working in foundations...around here every house has a basement, thats what we would do, the foundation and footings...hard work, but easy mentally. also did a bit of roofing and general renos

but around here, everything is union...construction is a big thing here, and if you dont have your competency cards as well as union(they go together) then your up for a 10k fine, as well as your employer...very regulated here, too much is you ask me

K

kolah

Congrats...22 per hour is a good wage these days. I do mudwork on and off and enjoy it but wouldn't want to it every day. But at 22 beans an hour I'd give it a go. Not a fan of working up too high..unless they have scaffolds. Hanging sucks..I'd rather mud and texture. :)

You will have to make some adjustments working for the man..the dictated hours, possible forced overtime and dealing with people in charge who don't know jackshit can be nerve racking. Find your comfort zone, take the cash and always keep climbing up the ladder. There will always be better doors opening up if you look.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hey, my ex-husband a Brotherhood Carpenter. Drywaller at that! D'oh! I loved that union.

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

where do you live Joe Fresh? Chicago? Wondering where has high union requirements like that.

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

canada....quebec to be precise....they re the most hard asses with their ccq(construction commision) and multiple unions...like i can go anywhere in canada or the usa and if you got quebec construction cards they will hire you above others...but if you come from another place fuller certified and come to quebec, you need to start your schooling/aprenticeship over again, even if your already a journyman, lol...here the red seal dont mean shit...its liek french ppl want to do everything ass backwards when compared to how everyone else does it...dont even get me started on the language issue lol....they put all this bureaucratic shit in place to prevent immigrant workers from stealing jobs...they also want to make sure the ppl who get hired to do a job are certified....i know florida and NY are always hiring our workers, as well as alberta...

Latest posts

Top Bottom