Just got my carbon filter. Too big? How do I suspend?

• Thread starter magick81
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

magick81

Hi everyone,
As some of new know from my other thread, I recently bought a cooltube. Anyways, I also bought a carbon filter. When I got home and opened the box, I thought it was monstrous, and they guy had just sold me the largest one he could, to get the most money from me.

I thought it was odd that he never asked the size of my room, or how many plants i had. The only questions he asked was "What kind of fan did I have", and "what kinda lighting i had". I told him I had a 150mm centrifugal fan, and a 400w hps in a cooltube. Anyways, he told me it would last 3 yrs which i guess is a good thing.

Only thing is I have no way to suspend it in my tent! I have thought of using some rope or bungee cord, but to be completely honest, I think my tents poles would snap under the weight.

Anyways, since making my tent air-tight, I noticed the sweet cannabis smell eminating from my window as soon as i rounded the corner so i had to hook it up (centrifugal exhaust vents out of the window).

Is this setup sufficient? Or will I have to find a way to suspend it? It seems to be working fine for now.
Just got my carbon filter too big how do i suspend

Top Shelf

Top Shelf

You can naever have "Too Big" filter unless its a space issue. I agree with ib, get that pre filter on there asap or you will cut the life of your scrubber in half by letting it get clogged. Why hang it?

M

magick81

Pre-filter placed back onto the carbon filter.
Thanks guys :)
My post has been up for 2 hours longer at my regular forum and noone has commented on it yet! I may move my MJ home to here.
Other forum seems a little dead these days :)

T

tattoojim

Pre-filter placed back onto the carbon filter.
Thanks guys :)
My post has been up for 2 hours longer at my regular forum and noone has commented on it yet! I may move my MJ home to here.
Other forum seems a little dead these days :)

the farm is full of people willing to help, and thats why i moved here. your set up looks legit. good luck

M

magick81

Thanks for the compliment :)
I have slowly put my setup together, buying a new item or 2 each payday. It is just about finished I reckon. Don't know what else I really need. It feels good :)
I thought it was best to suspend the filter as high as possible. But if it is ok as it is, I guess my room is complete :D

T

tattoojim

the reason for it to b suspended is to pull the hot air at the same time you are scrubbing. but some times you have to work with what you have. is that the 6x 16 filter?

M

magick81

Yeah I think so, The brand is mountain air. Is it any good? Cost me $200.

Dz1PnK

Dz1PnK

people suspend em to get em off the floor and make that space available for more plants as well as exhausting hot air, if youre ok with it its fine there. i run mine vertical like that, works just as good. mtn aire is a good brand, should last you a long time if youre just rockin the tent. if space becomes an issue you can put it just outside the tent and still connect it to your light. one 400 shouldnt make the tent that hot

Cort

Cort

Check the weight limit on your tent. Looks like a Hydrohut? If your tent says it will hold the weight hang it for more space. I used tie downs to hang mine. Same filter, in 4x4 hydro hut.
315_004.jpg

Not the greatest shots of the hang, but its what I got.

Could even think about making a 2x4 arch to support it. My floor space is limited and valuable.

M

magick81

True, a 400w shouldn't make my tent that hot, but with aussie summer just starting I'm having trouble keeping my temps down, som plants are suffering from heat stress :(

I would hang the filter off the tent, but my tent is just a cheap brand, i already had 1 of the lightbars come down due to the bracket breaking. I'd rather not risk it for now, lols, I don't know what weight the tent can support as it didn't come with much documentation, just assembly instructions, I think its made in china lol

Cort

Cort

A couple bits of wood would make for ample support. The added floor space alone will be worth it.

chazbolin

chazbolin

Check the weight limit on your tent. Looks like a Hydrohut? If your tent says it will hold the weight hang it for more space. I used tie downs to hang mine. Same filter, in 4x4 hydro hut.
315_004.jpg

Not the greatest shots of the hang, but its what I got.

Could even think about making a 2x4 arch to support it. My floor space is limited and valuable.
check out 'no holes bar' for a better support system. I've had tents come down on my head before I started using these.

Nice grow

M

magick81

I found instructions on how to have heavy carbon filters on the floor suck air from the top. It leaks really simple and easy to setup. Next payday, I will run out, buy some materials and give this a try.

Carbon filter instruction

T

theTinker

I found instructions on how to have heavy carbon filters on the floor suck air from the top. It leaks really simple and easy to setup. Next payday, I will run out, buy some materials and give this a try.

View attachment 182159

hahaha thats Brilliant thinking. Awh i love the ingeniuty people.

If you are using a tent, say its about 7-8foot tall?
Carbon filter is about 3 long?
Stick it on a 2-3 foot support if you can, You could also hang it from the tent top so it doesnt ever fall over but most of the weight would still be on its support base.
Thats letting you get at the air at 5-6 feet, more than enough. If hot air rises at levels defined by its temperature. Your getting at about 70%+ of the hottest air at 5-6 feet. If your also using oscillating fans, the hot air will be moving around alot anyways, so you'd be getting even more.

If your good with wood, you could build a support base that has room for something underneath the filter like a standing fan or dehumidifier etc. Would be making good use of the space.

I once seen someone cool a tent more by knocking off thier fans, the hot air rose much easier and was vented more efficentily. It makes sense, so I dont think the air at the top of the tent is too much hotter in a 8foot tent if you have good fan action.

T

theTinker

fitlerSupport.png

Maybe some like this.
With some small tweaks, like a 4-5" width resting support board. You could use it to hang many items you want without putting pressure on the tent bars.

Its floor foot print would be minimal and could be design with legs if your handy to be even smaller floor footprint.

You could hang fans, carbon filters, even heavy hoods..

Just make sure to use chain or strong twine onto each corner of the tent. It would provide hugely benefical non toppling support to compensate for shitty skills :D without any disadvantage or pressure really on the tent.

OR

I had an issue like this one, but my tent had an hole near the corner on the top of the tent, 6" wide, Well I had to do was hang a chain from the ceiling of my room, and let hang down into the tent through the port hole. From this, You can hang anything once the ceiling supports it. and no pressure on your tent. It just requires your tent hole to be lined up with the ceiling chain

M

magick81

Well now that I have flipped my plants into bloom, the lights are off for the most part of the day, so I'm not having heat issues anymore. I actually just noticed that on hot days, the tent is cooler than the room haha, sometimes by about 5•c

hiboy

hiboy

Run your lights at night if your not, thats the coolest time of your cycle.
Might get ya a few degrees lower
h

P

Pockets

im hanging a cooled 600w hood, 6"blower and same filter as you in a 2x4x5 with no problem. your tent should have 3 bars for the top, 2 for the light and 1 for the fan. now to hang the filter you use 3 straps with velcro or backpack strap locks, wrap 2 around the 2 top support bars to make a support loop and use the 3rd to pull the filter to one side then re adjust the 2. the bars hanging the lights and fan should counter the pinch that the weight may cause.

Latest posts

Top Bottom