JUST SAY NO to X

• Thread starter Jimster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
After perusing many threads, a lot of growers are asking where they can get Landrace strains, or what some even are. With the advent of folks growing their own and everyone crossing everything, it is getting nearly impossible to find a pure strain instead of a Strain A X Strain B hybrid. I implore growers to at least try to grow one original strain if they can find it. If there is a demand, the seeds will be available. There are few Sativa growers anymore since everyone wants the hard nuggets. Sativa can be every bit as strong, and stroner, depending on the strain. Old school Colombian, Mexican, and Panamanian Sativa's are getting hard to find. No, they usually aren't as potent or pretty as the newer strains, but they are a great smoke and at the rate things are going, an endangered species.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

All the strains even at the original locations are hybrids. People have been crossing plants for centuries all over the world.

Even a truly wild strain like on an unihabited island get crossed over time by animals weather and birds moving pollen and seeds.

And every sativa sold even as landrace is just marketing. They are all hybrids.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
All the strains even at the original locations are hybrids. People have been crossing plants for centuries all over the world.

Even a truly wild strain like on an unihabited island get crossed over time by animals weather and birds moving pollen and seeds.

And every sativa sold even as landrace is just marketing. They are all hybrids.
Obviously, any strain from anywhere will be hybridized to some degree, but after a certain number of generations in a given area, the plants living there become very similar, with no real differences between plants. At this point, I consider them Landrace. The Colombian smoke was considered Landrace as it was all from Colombia and was fairly homogeneous even though there were a lot of variations between the individual strains from Colombia. I guess it's a matter of semantics, as I consider most of the old school strains as Landrace, even though there was a lot of variety in terms of potency and taste. Those strains stayed mostly in one geographical region. Nowadays, every strain from every region and species is being mixed together.
Like dog breeding, mating a poodle with a Labrador makes a Labradoodle. Cross a Labradoodle with a Black Lab/Husky mix, and now you have a Mutt. If you have enough Mutts, eventually they become their own breed. Eventually all of these crosses will become their own strain, and we can only hope that someone saves seeds and plants from now, to avoid issues in the future. Hermie plants, which I never saw in my 35 years of growing, are now common in a couple of crosses. This could spread to many other crosses and become a real issue a hundred generations down the line.
Obviously this is my opinion and due to paranoia after smoking too much Sativa and getting the mental gears spinning. I just hate to see old school genetics disappear and be replaced by the McDonalds of buds.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

What i am trying to say @Jimster is that those plants in columbia for example have been cross bred for better flowering and potency and disease resistance for decades already and in the last 20 years or so with other elite strains due to hype and money.
Food, flower and ornamental plant growers do it too.

I do also seem to prefer the older strains and have mostly grown thai and diesel hybrids for the old psychedelic effects.

People today want weed to be narcotic like opiates. Which has its place but i want to get high and have fun.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
What i am trying to say @Jimster is that those plants in columbia for example have been cross bred for better flowering and potency and disease resistance for decades already and in the last 20 years or so with other elite strains due to hype and money.

I do also seem to prefer the older strains and have mostly grown thai and diesel hybrids for the old psychedelic effects.

People today want weed to be narcotic like opiates. Which has its place but i want to get high and have fun.
I agree with your assessment 100%. The point that I was trying to make was regarding the origins of what are now considered Landrace strains. The strains of today are mixed with greater potency, etc, but the old smokes, like the Colombian, were established long before the myriad of new hybrids and strains. Farmers back then didn't really concern themselves with crossbreeding or quality issues as much as they wanted to have stuff to sell. The local indigenous people had been growing the same strains for years and it eventually became a very consistent strain hat is geographically centered into a certain area.
It's only in the last 20 years, as you mentioned, that the growers have been cross breeding them with better genetics. Prior to that, the farmers pretty much just tossed the seeds into a field and harvested the females at the end of the season, seeds be damned and plentiful. This is sort of the point I was originally making, though. The Colombian of the past is now being hybridized both by growers worldwide, but also in the areas that the original plants originated. Once the originals are gone and replaced, the originals are lost to time, like the Moreton tomato. The Moreton tomato was unbelievably sweet and probably one of the tastiest tomatoes ever produced. Big Arga and marketing/shipping/processing issues soon developed a hybrid that was easier to ship/process/market and the Moreton tomato was reduced to 1 pint jar of seeds stashed away at Rutgers University. I fear the same with a lot of the old strains. Colombian Redbud was a unique strain that was tasty and very potent at the time. I haven't seen a seed for that in 40 years or more, lost to time.

therealAries

therealAries

Most seem to be deterred by the long flowering times that may explain thay very few grow them.. i myself have been venturing those exotic varieties i have in flower right now a "jamaican kings bread heirloom" awesoms narrow leaf drug type cerebral variety and in veg i am getting my hands wet with some Acapulco Gold from the nierika seed trust aka bodhis awesome organisation anticipating sex on em still though theyve been growing a good 8+ weeks lol next line will be chocolate thai i am not of the era where folks enjoyed these awesome strains so i am trying to experience them now. I can report my vape sesh with the jamaican kings bread she was fed a flowering AACTea yesterday gonna be hitting week 5 with another 8-10 more weeks as i was told shes a 15 week strain but hoping my CMH will shorten the time a week or two as i have read it does... thanks for starting this thread its nice to talk about these cerebal narrow leaf drug types i personally am getting bored of the lethargic varieties so i wanna spice it up with some strains that make me trip out i do exp major anxiety from these cerebral strains but for some reason i keep going back to them lol redundant i know bless up

therealAries

therealAries

Image 2019 06 16 18 37 15

A top flower and yes i know shes seeded like crazy. This strains seeds are hard to germinate so i need plenty for the future as this strain took me years to even get and i am beyond fortunate to even have jamaican kings bread lemme look for a full body pic when topped a few times this bitch can seriously produce flowers :)

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

my mind is about gone ,but the very first sensimilla that hit the streets was directly from columbia,mid 70's hell ya boy do i remember,had the sweetest taste,one jiont would last up to 4 hrs with me,then came the jamican,i still to this day hate skunk,hell naw keep it hahahah

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

my mind is about gone ,but the very first sensimilla that hit the streets was directly from columbia,mid 70's hell ya boy do i remember,had the sweetest taste,one jiont would last up to 4 hrs with me,then came the jamican,i still to this day hate skunk,hell naw keep it hahahah

The skunk I remember (early 80’s) was a huge 14 foot sativa. A huge field of them actually. The skunk smell was more like a rancid too many old flower smell. Skunk like but not roadkill like in the later 80’s and on.

It was like you say. Stoned and flying high all giggly and silly for hours. We were kids. I would go home for dinner still high often.

And it was just like the 70’s show pictured it with Eric foreman talking to red with the room moving and psychedelic.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

The skunk I remember (early 80’s) was a huge 14 foot sativa. A huge field of them actually. The skunk smell was more like a rancid too many old flower smell. Skunk like but not roadkill like in the later 80’s and on.

It was like you say. Stoned and flying high all giggly and silly for hours. We were kids. I would go home for dinner still high often.

And it was just like the 70’s show pictured it with Eric foreman talking to red with the room moving and psychedelic.
not me mate never been young i think,hahahh i smoked that stuff from dusk to dawn every day,great stuff for working with ,i poured and finished concrete back then,damn truck driver brought it right to the job hahaah im talking about a whole crew of 20 men busting ass in the hot ass sun all day and depending on the concrete and weather sometimes way into the morning.
but to make things even on your thought jimster and mi,as i was told by brother jumping in cactus ,they have a old school for all ages hahaha i dont grow indica at all,hybrid you beat,sativa were it at when i fire up i always try to throw in some 17 yr old mexican brick,yep i said it,dont care what folk think,ive had some that would creep up on your ass and at first you thinking you got burned and smoke that whole bitch madder than a asian in a chuck norris moving and bam start sweating and damn near knock your ass out,i love it every time i go to mexico i smoke the shit out of it,today brick isnt as good as the old days but there still some around hahahh

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

not me mate never been young i think,hahahh i smoked that stuff from dusk to dawn every day,great stuff for working with ,i poured and finished concrete back then,damn truck driver brought it right to the job hahaah im talking about a whole crew of 20 men busting ass in the hot ass sun all day and depending on the concrete and weather sometimes way into the morning.
but to make things even on your thought jimster and mi,as i was told by brother jumping in cactus ,they have a old school for all ages hahaha i dont grow indica at all,hybrid you beat,sativa were it at when i fire up i always try to throw in some 17 yr old mexican brick,yep i said it,dont care what folk think,ive had some that would creep up on your ass and at first you thinking you got burned and smoke that whole bitch madder than a asian in a chuck norris moving and bam start sweating and damn near knock your ass out,i love it every time i go to mexico i smoke the shit out of it,today brick isnt as good as the old days but there still some around hahahh
i did not at all like having that skunk in my sinus all the time,be at a 7-11 and folk be backing away from ya thinking you got sprayed hahahh nope when that stuff was all you could get ,lead me to much much harder things than flowers

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

In my limited experience with landrace strains they actually don't come out very uniform.not wild growing landraces.most ones I,v seen have lots of different phenoes.its the lines way of hedging it's bets.the different phenoes are so no matter what weather or conditions a season brings the line always has plants that will survive giving the line a better chance at progressing."landraces" that are uniform are usually uniform because of our influence.with wild growing "landrace" were there is little human intervention the phenoes are usually all over the place.

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

Taking crops out of a shared land and traditional methodology, isolating them from each other in plastic holding cells full of foreign soil is when you see European kids pop out of African mommas. Unless you dont believe in evolution nor creation, all Cannabis came from one Cannabis, and is very diverse because of environment alone.

Of course I'm on the other side of the community, where you can always tell bud by its farm, not the "strain" or the choice of fruitjuice infused nutes. For a long time i thought that's why hydro even existed, to take that homogenizing epigenetic environmental factor out of the equation so strains could be associated with breeders rather than producing regions. I dont think you can grow a proper Purp outside of Jefferson but that's just me.

Cannabis will always remain a mystery to the masses. "You had to be there". The good stuff has been eradicated for financial interests. If people only knew whats in the modern day libraries of Alexandria, the information withheld from the people.. Today's Cannabis is officially crap because of the financially motivated propaganda around thc cbd and fruit perfume. Fake lab weed propaganda, 100%. Financially motivated lies and clandestine research, 80 years of it have changed the perception of Cannabis so much.

Pfizer found out how to make the worlds citric acid supply from aspergilis in the 20s. Cannabis wasn't eradicated for racism. You have to understand the scientific climate at the time. And the shocking lack of understanding on how the Cannabis plant was producing everything it was. Essentially a hyper dynamic super-organism, a ferment city colonized by sentient microbes.. Took them 80 years to bottle that knowledge away and burying under some government monument somewhere,so the narrative can be controlled to milk the public with useless crap. The fountain of youth would never be dispensed from a soda fountain either, if you need a mental comparison as to what does pump out of soda fountains: half a cent of not even real soda for 2 bucks. Cannabis is the new corn syrup soda. The new cigarette. The new stick of gum. The new fidget spinner. The magic has been eradicated by DEA agents.

Remember, opium bad, fake heroin good. Microbes bad, sterile good. Bleach the world wrap it in plastic and spay it with Tasty Puff. Sell us some synthetic thc cherry robatussin or grape Tylenol. Terpene propaganda is even creeping into the garden. And that's the scariest part about culture-defining capitalism: it's attacks are aimed the segment of the population who associate food value with color and smell rather than flavor and nutrition. RIP humanity, when even the tomatoes come in pill form.

Last edited:
Top Bottom