Just Starting New Guy Here

• Thread starter oLd1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
oLd1

oLd1

I'm older guy with two Sons wanting to grow. Interesting I start Sons are coming over with suggestions. I'm thinking they are growing. Come to find out they are letting Dad mess up then they will learn from his mistakes.

First mistake I thought I would just use Garden soil. Found it has too much Clay and holds water, so starting out watering too much. Changed to Pro Mix but have Happy Frog Soil coming and have Worm Casting. One Son came over with Fox Farm Fertilizer kit said try this. I also learned not to have my wife involved in the Girls. I sprouted the seed, made small indentation in the soil, told my wife to put the seeds in and cover them. Some dried out because she left them on top worried about getting them too deep.

Starting out with White Widow but thinking more going to Black Widow. Like I told my wife it says it is fairly easy to grow which is up my alley easy. Doing mostly Edibles because I already have Throat problems.

While I'm thinking. I was going to just use 5 Gallon Buckets. Open for other ideas?

Old1

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

I'm older guy with two Sons wanting to grow. Interesting I start Sons are coming over with suggestions. I'm thinking they are growing. Come to find out they are letting Dad mess up then they will learn from his mistakes.

First mistake I thought I would just use Garden soil. Found it has too much Clay and holds water, so starting out watering too much. Changed to Pro Mix but have Happy Frog Soil coming and have Worm Casting. One Son came over with Fox Farm Fertilizer kit said try this. I also learned not to have my wife involved in the Girls. I sprouted the seed, made small indentation in the soil, told my wife to put the seeds in and cover them. Some dried out because she left them on top worried about getting them too deep.

Starting out with White Widow but thinking more going to Black Widow. Like I told my wife it says it is fairly easy to grow which is up my alley easy. Doing mostly Edibles because I already have Throat problems.

While I'm thinking. I was going to just use 5 Gallon Buckets. Open for other ideas?

Old1
Forget the Happy Frog. Add more perlite to the Pro Mix. Use Megacrop fertilizer. Or AN Iguana. One bottle = less screwups. Go with bags instead of buckets every time.

G

Gammagoat

Dont sleep on the cloth bags suggestion, bucket has been a disaster for me.

crustycorcus

crustycorcus

Careful with the FF bottles. Pushrod has a couple solid suggestions for something simple. One of those or pure blend pro would work well. Easier than other products. What type of Pro mix? I run HP, I love it. Just gotta start feeding a little sooner than other mediums. I start feeding around a week to ten days in pro mix. Get pH and TDS pens. More than likely no need to adjust your taps pH for pro mix but if you run into issues, you'll want to check your run off. The TDS meter will help being specific with your feedings

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
you just need to decide on that. a 3 or a 5 gallon is what they should end in. start in a solo cup, go to 1 gallon then to their last one. unless they are autos, then plant them in a 3 or 5 gallon bag from the beginning.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
What size of Cloth Bags.

Old1
how much room you got.. bigger the better..
for easy growing
try pro mix hp with bontanicare nutrients..
in fabric bags..
either way you did the right thing by coming here first before making serious mistakes..
your help is here on the farm..

oLd1

oLd1

12X16 LOL I'm thinking 5 Gallon Bags. Can only have 6 Plants. Was going to plant outside but was told I couldn't have to be locked.

old1

Madbud

Madbud

You sound like the $12 Walmart promix compressed brick kind of guy. 90 peat, pressed dry. Germinate 3 days in a warm, half full slurpy cup of the happy frog, plant over a half inch deep, with the cover on, then mix the hf with the promix and perlite, castings too to get started in cloth bags, 5 gallon minimum. No nutrients til then, just some water when the cup is dry and lightweight.

oLd1

oLd1

Dont give in the the Democrats! haha kidding!

Yea got a Black Friend she told me I had to just suck it up. Ah she takes care of me just look over what I hear from her.

Have 5 Gallon Bags ordered.

old1

Last edited:
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter

Old1
Hey there, welcome. 68+ here with 4 great grand kids and I'm cheap I've used the same 3 gal plastic buckets wrapped in duct tape for 20 years on a few of them.

Unless you're going to allow your plants to veg for over 2 months you don't need anything more than 3 gal pots. Less water/nute's/humidity/easier to move if you need to. 1 gallon of water or feed gives the perfect runoff. 5 gallons I need double the water so double the nutes. I have some 6ft monsters growing indoors now in 5 gallon pots. I would never need more than 5gal unless outdoors
I use a cheap noname brand peat mix or Promix or Sunshine mix if I can't find my stuff & I use General Hydroponics 3 part flora system.

Get a ph & a ppm tester. and keep track of your readings until you get a grasp on how things work with nute's & water in your choice of soils.Gl lots of help here when you need it.

XxHammer

XxHammer

Hey, to comments made earlier in the thread... why do some people prefer fabric pots over plastic pots?

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Hey, to comments made earlier in the thread... why do some people prefer fabric pots over plastic pots?
waay better for roots, easy access to oxygen, they are able to air prune and continue growing more and generally never will strangle the other roots like say in a bucket the roots just go around and around which could led to a host of issues!!

dire wolf

dire wolf

C
waay better for roots, easy access to oxygen, they are able to air prune and continue growing more and generally never will strangle the other roots like say in a bucket the roots just go around and around which could led to a host of issues!!
Can you put clones in fabric pots ? ......
I'm gonna chase you all over the forums 😂

Latest posts

Top Bottom