Just Starting New Guy Here

• Thread starter oLd1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
XxHammer

XxHammer

I will keep this in mind for my next grow. I had originally purchased fabric pots but thought they would suck for trying to tie plants down to and figured plastic pots would be better for long-term use. I did not really consider other factors. I think figuring out how often to water my plants will be my biggest struggle as a new grower. It is so hard to tell when the soil is dry and when it is wet.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I will keep this in mind for my next grow. I had originally purchased fabric pots but thought they would suck for trying to tie plants down to and figured plastic pots would be better for long-term use. I did not really consider other factors. I think figuring out how often to water my plants will be my biggest struggle as a new grower. It is so hard to tell when the soil is dry and when it is wet.
`That's one reason like the plastic pots, I can lift with one hand to maneuver and lift to feel the weight. Heavy...no need for water/feed...light..time to water/feed. reusable, less mess, burn holes in them to provide more ventilation.

My wife uses fabric pots outside, cheap Dollar store stuff but I'm sticking with what I like and works well for me.

crustycorcus

crustycorcus

Take a container the same size you're growing in and fill it with soil. Bring it in your space and compare to containers you think need watering. Their weights obviously won't be identical, but should be close enough to give you a decent idea.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Right now I move my vegging plants in 3 gallon pots into the flower room through the day and return them to the vegging room in the evening. I couldn't do that with fabric pots so if you are going to move your plants at all fabric pots aren't very easy to move around. I also rotate my flowering plants 1/8th turn twice daily so my bushes don't get dark spots that never see light. I'm old I like simple things that last lol I'll fight for my plastic pots.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Black Widow was originally white widow but breeder did not trademark and others started selling his strain so he feminized and changed name to black Widow.

dire wolf

dire wolf

Right now I move my vegging plants in 3 gallon pots into the flower room through the day and return them to the vegging room in the evening. I couldn't do that with fabric pots so if you are going to move your plants at all fabric pots aren't very easy to move around. I also rotate my flowering plants 1/8th turn twice daily so my bushes don't get dark spots that never see light. I'm old I like simple things that last lol I'll fight for my plastic pots.
Hey pipe carver , I'm with you on the plastic pots ....
I like them , they last forever and easy to manage when necessary , also at the end of the day ,I've never considered it a problem when i see a massive root ball twisting and turning in the bottom of my plastic pots , not quite sure I'm buying into the " air pruning " benefit of the fabric pots ....
Seems more like a marketing tactic than science

707finisher

707finisher

If you gonna move your plants a lot I’d think plastic but if they gonna stay in place fabric. Just my experience. I have grown similar sized healthy(up for debate😁) plants in both.

Plastic pots stay moist longer, are easier to move around, and the dirt isn’t disturbed when it’s moved, good if you gotta take your shot out of a tent crammed in a corner every time, but they get root bound if you keep them in there for to long. 2 months isn’t long enough for them to get to bad so I just transplant to 3 gallon, wait a week, and flower them. They use the whole pot but don’t get to root bound.

fabric pots are better for roots but you can squish the soil if your not careful, Especially early after transplant if you need to move them a lot. Also if your a fast watering type then it can runoff out the sides and not penetrate, the roots get really dense and can require daily water. good for non moving grows in my humble opinion :)

I liked what dude said about filling up my ne of each with wet heavy dirt and seeing what’s easier for you in your situation.

oLd1

oLd1

Ok I only have one arm so I would need help with Cloth Pots which I have ordered. Yes for awhile I will need to move them regular.

So will I be ok with Plastic? I have some Garden plants in Plastic Buckets and seem to be doing well. I did put Rock in the Bottom, drilled holes and set on Lids for drainage.

old1

XxHammer

XxHammer

Take a container the same size you're growing in and fill it with soil. Bring it in your space and compare to containers you think need watering. Their weights obviously won't be identical, but should be close enough to give you a decent idea.

I have an extra pot at home. I am going to do this after work tonight. Just to at least get an idea of the base weight. I dont know that I will be going weighing my pots all the time but it will be good to just have that reference.

Thanks for the idea.

crustycorcus

crustycorcus

Taking notes helps as well. After a couple weeks in a container, your ladies will show obvious patterns in how they feed. Having it documented/dated can make it to where you don't even need to go check on them most days.

crustycorcus

crustycorcus

I still go in my space about 20x a day 🤣 but knowing you get 48 or 72 hours between feedings makes it easier to not "over-love"

weed_weasel

weed_weasel

I'm older guy with two Sons wanting to grow. Interesting I start Sons are coming over with suggestions. I'm thinking they are growing. Come to find out they are letting Dad mess up then they will learn from his mistakes.

First mistake I thought I would just use Garden soil. Found it has too much Clay and holds water, so starting out watering too much. Changed to Pro Mix but have Happy Frog Soil coming and have Worm Casting. One Son came over with Fox Farm Fertilizer kit said try this. I also learned not to have my wife involved in the Girls. I sprouted the seed, made small indentation in the soil, told my wife to put the seeds in and cover them. Some dried out because she left them on top worried about getting them too deep.

Starting out with White Widow but thinking more going to Black Widow. Like I told my wife it says it is fairly easy to grow which is up my alley easy. Doing mostly Edibles because I already have Throat problems.

While I'm thinking. I was going to just use 5 Gallon Buckets. Open for other ideas?

Old1

I have been using the 5 gallon fabric pots and ProMix HP. I start the seeds in Jiffy peat pods, those little pucks you soak in water. Once germinated I transfer to a Solo cup. Once it has 4 or 5 sets of trues leaves it goes into the 5 gallon pot. I usually veg for 6 weeks and I wouldn't use anything smaller.

For nutrients I use the Green Planet line. Dual Fuel, Vitathrive, with Massive Bloom & PK Spike during flower. I also use Botanicare Cal-Mag and Nutri+ Humic & Fulvic acids. When they are mature they take a gallon every 3 - 4 days. I feed full nutes every watering, I don't feed-water. This has worked for me.

I have grown White Widow several times and for me I have found it to be a little finicky, you have to watch your nutrients and PH. The most bullet proof thing I've grown is OG Kush.

XxHammer

XxHammer

Ok I only have one arm so I would need help with Cloth Pots which I have ordered. Yes for awhile I will need to move them regular.

So will I be ok with Plastic? I have some Garden plants in Plastic Buckets and seem to be doing well. I did put Rock in the Bottom, drilled holes and set on Lids for drainage.

old1

20210418 181335 HDR

I am still experimenting and playing with the best way to collect and drain my runoff.

I am using 2 long storage container lids myself as my water catcher, then using a wet/dry vac to suck it up. It works pretty well. I need to do something to slightly elevate 1 end of the water catcher tray so all the water drains to the front making it easier to vacuum up.

Panhead59

Panhead59

Why not just use the meter for water control ? Whay's the name of it ?

XxHammer

XxHammer

They just dont seem very accurate. Like it was reading still on the high side of Moist but the leaves were starting to droop and the top of the soil was like dust-dry almost.

I dont know the model. I am currently at work. I will have to check and see the Reviews on this thing. It was only 10$ so I figured it was worth giving it a try and seeing if it was any good.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Hey pipe carver , I'm with you on the plastic pots ....
I like them , they last forever and easy to manage when necessary , also at the end of the day ,I've never considered it a problem when i see a massive root ball twisting and turning in the bottom of my plastic pots , not quite sure I'm buying into the " air pruning " benefit of the fabric pots ....
Seems more like a marketing tactic than science
c’mon your a grower you can’t see the difference ??? wow..
it’s night and day!!!’

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
it’s night and day!!!’
I'm not saying the fabric aren't good for growing in, people love them...must be a reason. For me the way I grow plastic is better. If you're not moving your pots around, great, fabric. I don't scrog and I move my plants around daily.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I'm not saying the fabric aren't good for growing in, people love them...must be a reason. For me the way I grow plastic is better. If you're not moving your pots around, great, fabric. I don't scrog and I move my plants around daily.
i get ya, just if someone is new to growing 5 gallon pail probably won’t help them much..
all brother, that was more for dire wolf. just bugging his ass!

dire wolf

dire wolf

it’s night and day!!!’
Hey G , honestly I shouldn't even comment on fabric pots since I've never even used them ..I just get argumentive when I see new grow products that are innovative ,( fabric pots probably not new, but...) there is so much crap dumped on new growers that I instinctively challenge its value , yea I'm sure I can do a fine grow in a fabric pot , just have a few issues ...one they are expensive , two I'm a clumsy maniac in my grow room , constantly pushing and pulling pots around , so I'm sure I'll disturb the roots or knock over the cloth pots ....

Also I need to do some research on this " air pruning " concept , I still don't get it are the roots constantly being "pruned" when they hit the sides of the air pot ? Is that a good thing ?

And issue number three , I'm cheap , I like to wash out my plastic pots and get all the nasty residue out with soap and water .... Can you do that with fabric ? I mean I usually have a fair amount of nutrient salts and build up in the pot at the end of the grow ..
I stack em up , throw them in the corner and always have a clean container , and of various sizes at my disposal ...

If I used fabric , I would need about 3 for each plant as I usually up pot that many times from veg to finish
And I can't see fabric offering me an easy " pop out " during each up potting

Last edited:
Top Bottom