Just starting out

• Thread starter BogartAmungus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

Hello everybody! I came across this forum doing some Google searches and trying to expand my knowledge to learn how to successfully grow some plants in my garden this summer. Since they reduced the penalties and decriminalized it in my state legalizing it for rec use I figured it was a great time to give it a grow! I have been growing a vegetable garden for decades and have yearned to grow it! I have basic knowledge of horticulture and know I can be successful especially with help of a great forum like this. I plan on moving it indoors eventually but the wife is not too keen.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Welcome to the farm and hit us up with any grow related questions.
Cheers and good luck
Jack

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Hello everybody! I came across this forum doing some Google searches and trying to expand my knowledge to learn how to successfully grow some plants in my garden this summer. Since they reduced the penalties and decriminalized it in my state legalizing it for rec use I figured it was a great time to give it a grow! I have been growing a vegetable garden for decades and have yearned to grow it! I have basic knowledge of horticulture and know I can be successful especially with help of a great forum like this. I plan on moving it indoors eventually but the wife is not too keen.
Welcome to The Farm!
Love the sunglasses bro!

BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

Haha yeah the glasses are cool AF lol she wasn't a big fan of them. I am looking through the forum and can't wait for spring! I am trying to do some searching before I start asking dumb questions like how to sex the plants. I was given some seeds from a guy at work and they smell awesome but I guess I will just go online and get fem seeds to avoid the headache.

THCMonster

THCMonster

Just get fem seeds, start them in some good compost soil (if you have a Hydro Store near you look for HAPPY FROG by foxfarm, some hardware stores sell it too)

Plant the seeds in either a grow tray with a dome or just grow them in a solo cup with holes cut out on the bottoms with suran wrap covering the top with some holes poked out!

The bigger you can get them before putting them outside the better!

Dig a good size hole and toss good compost dirt in it! Transplant the plant around early-mid May and let mother nature do the work for you, as soon as you see buds start counting weeks and once you get to week 4-6 start adding a fertilizer called a PK Booster (for maximum weight)! They even have organic PK Boosters if thats what your into.

The only thing you are gonna have to worry about is the smell

Even though your state went recreational doesnt mean you can for sure grow outside! Double check with the regulations, here in Michigan went Rec 2 years ago and alot of people got in BIG trouble for trying to just grow plants in their backyard, so just be careful!

Good luck and wish you the best!

THCMonster

THCMonster

Use this as a reference guide for when you start growing, take a lot of pics and post them on here and people will help you out along the way! Just dont over complicate it though!
KRuFnY4 1022x1024

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

...to learn how to successfully grow some plants in my garden this summer....been growing a vegetable garden for decades and have yearned to grow it! I have basic knowledge of horticulture ....

get on yer bike, and ride!

BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

Man awesome info! We have a place i buy compost by the truck load. I usually incorporate a couple yards every other year. I will definitely take ALL the advice I can get. Many thanks. I am looking into gaining a medical MJ card so I can cultivate five plants. I have been dealing with a bulging disk in my back for several years now and have been taking Tramadol as needed. In IL. I can cultivate less than 5 plants for personal consumption and if caught it is a civil infraction with a max fine of $200. I am sure there are probably some loop holes as far as weight of what's in my possession etc. I am willing to risk it and stick to 4 plants. I germinate my own plants for the garden and use shop lights right above to start them. Hopefully my blackberries and tomatoes will give me the cover i need to hide them. We will see. Its going to be fun to try it lol

BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

Just get fem seeds, start them in some good compost soil (if you have a Hydro Store near you look for HAPPY FROG by foxfarm, some hardware stores sell it too)

Plant the seeds in either a grow tray with a dome or just grow them in a solo cup with holes cut out on the bottoms with suran wrap covering the top with some holes poked out!

The bigger you can get them before putting them outside the better!

Dig a good size hole and toss good compost dirt in it! Transplant the plant around early-mid May and let mother nature do the work for you, as soon as you see buds start counting weeks and once you get to week 4-6 start adding a fertilizer called a PK Booster (for maximum weight)! They even have organic PK Boosters if thats what your into.

The only thing you are gonna have to worry about is the smell

Even though your state went recreational doesnt mean you can for sure grow outside! Double check with the regulations, here in Michigan went Rec 2 years ago and alot of people got in BIG trouble for trying to just grow plants in their backyard, so just be careful!

Good luck and wish you the best!
I thought I read a person CAN grow in Michigan for personal use??? I was like damn I wish I lived there! I do need to really double check. I got my info from NORML. My buddies at work are telling me I will lose my FOID (gun) card if I receive a Med card. I don't understand how that would be as I can just go to the dispensary and buy it??? What I find is the most screwed up thing is I will lose my job if I fail a DT for THC. It's BULLSHIT! So I basically smoke a few hits here and there and pray I don't fuck up at work. lol

THCMonster

THCMonster

Not just openly outside.

You are allowed to grow outside but it has to be in a locked area that is out of view from your neighbors.

You can still grow 12 plants for personal, but if you just have them sitting in the middle of your backyard you will get a HUGE fine!

They really dont mess with people too much depending on where you live, but I have ran into a lot of customers at my Hydro store that got in big trouble for having plants in their backyards, they dont go to jail... The police will just cut down all the plants and give you a big fine.

If you want to go outside LEGALLY here in Michigan It has to be in a separately fenced off area in your backyard, and it cant be visible by your neighbors.

THCMonster

THCMonster

But 9/10 the only reason someone gets in trouble is because a neighbor complains about the smell or the sight of the plants!

Its not like police are driving around looking for plants in backyards! Lol

I dont know how your laws technically are, but here in Michigan you cant have a CCW or CPL license and have a Med Card at the same time (so i think that would be true for you too)

And yes, because its still technically federally illegal any company can fired you for not passing a Drug Test.

That one is actually very true!

Im a licensed chemist, my background is Organic chemistry and Microbiology so when I got a job at My first laboratory the company required a drug test, I never failed because i hardly smoked back then i just grew, but 2 years ago I was in a serious car accident and started smoking more for my pain, well long story short I decided to quit that job because if they ever random DT me then I would have lost my job anyways!

So it is a real concern, but Ive worked for companies before that required a DT and never got another one ever again!

Last edited:
BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

But 9/10 the only reason someone gets in trouble is because a neighbor complains about the smell or the sight of the plants!

Ok I get it. Who would complain about such a wonderful smell hahaha I remember seeing an episode of N. Woods law and a guy had some med growing in a fenced in area. I believe that was Maine. I am already scheming a spot in my basement spare room by the family room. I will be doing research on how to eliminate smells. I guess I could just start a thread and see what the experts do. I would like to just do maybe a couple outside and a couple inside.

HiDaze

HiDaze

Ok I get it. Who would complain about such a wonderful smell hahaha I remember seeing an episode of N. Woods law and a guy had some med growing in a fenced in area. I believe that was Maine. I am already scheming a spot in my basement spare room by the family room. I will be doing research on how to eliminate smells. I guess I could just start a thread and see what the experts do. I would like to just do maybe a couple outside and a couple inside.
20200201 200522

1. Air in
2. Air out (into squirrel fan)
3. Air out (from squirrel fan -> activated charcoal filter)

Filter takes 30 bucks and an hour to build, fan is 45 and 6" duct is 6 bucks. No smells, ever.

THCMonster

THCMonster

Yea just like how @HiDaze has set it up! Whether it be a tent like he has or a room, thats how you want to do it!

Everyone does theres differently so becareful on to many suggestions, like I do recirculation the air never gets vented out the room, but I run co2, thats why, but @HiDaze has the best setup for your venture into growing in a basement

HiDaze

HiDaze

Yea just like how @HiDaze has set it up! Whether it be a tent like he has or a room, thats how you want to do it!

Everyone does theres differently so becareful on to many suggestions, like I do recirculation the air never gets vented out the room, but I run co2, thats why, but @HiDaze has the best setup for your venture into growing in a basement
Thanks @THCMonster💨

BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

Excellent! Thanks for the info! I am excited to try growing. I may be a little ways before I can get it going. I need to hang a door and build a box. I have alot of prep work ahead of me. Lol right now its a cluster fuck.

HiDaze

HiDaze

All
Excellent! Thanks for the info! I am excited to try growing. I may be a little ways before I can get it going. I need to hang a door and build a box. I have alot of prep work ahead of me. Lol right now its a cluster fuck.
All good things come in time :)

BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

Here are a few pictures of the room. You can see the potential. There's my veggie seed germination station. I was thinking about clearing the clutter and trying to test start a couple plants to see how they do compared to veggies.
20200207 202341
20200207 202324

BogartAmungus

BogartAmungus

I dont know how your laws technically are, but here in Michigan you cant have a CCW or CPL license and have a Med Card at the same time (so i think that would be true for you too)

And yes, because its still technically federally illegal any company can fired you for not passing a Drug Test.

That one is actually very true!

Im a licensed chemist, my background is Organic chemistry and Microbiology so when I got a job at My first laboratory the company required a drug test, I never failed because i hardly smoked back then i just grew, but 2 years ago I was in a serious car accident and started smoking more for my pain, well long story short I decided to quit that job because if they ever random DT me then I would have lost my job anyways!

So it is a real concern, but Ive worked for companies before that required a DT and never got another one ever again!
I must have missed your post originally. I was just talking to another pot connoisseur at work about the gun laws here. We actually have to have Firearm Owners Identification Card to even buy ammo, posses, or transport a firearm. I pretty much only get high once every 3-4 weeks. I have been here at my current job for 22 years and only had to piss once. They used to pull hair and piss. Im glad I didn't Fk up job no. 3!

Top Bottom