Katydids

• Thread starter fishwhistle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
fishwhistle

fishwhistle

So something has been munching down on my Anahita outy plants for a week or two but i havent seen it til this morning.I was up at dawn and caught this fucker munching my buds,a katydid i beleive,i couldnt even see it til i put my glasses on,blends right in.Ive seen them before but not on my plants,anyone know if they are bad or good?The two i found are DOA now but i dont want to kill them if they are beneficial at all,If they are just like a grasshopper then they are in trouble,lol.
1024px-Katydid_india.jpg

north knect

north knect

ya im not sure myself but a had a moose trot threw my outdoor girls and rip off a branch..when i wS inspecting the open wound o ne of these lil green guys came right out the gash on my stem..i squashed it regardless in the fury of the moose lol..and he ate my bag of cal/mag lmao..dame moose

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Moose are trippy animals,i used to hunt wyoming alot and those damn things will walk right up to you without a care in the world like a damn cow or something,use to freak me out,lol.

north knect

north knect

ya they are massive animals lol..have u tried to google the insect? i had a lime green spider that lived on my plants in my dwc set up for like 2 months..couldnt figure out wat it was tho..now i have a tiger spider in there..

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Yeah Fish, I think that is a katydid of some sort.
I dont think they are beneficial....I think they eat leaves

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
How big is that thing, fish? I've seen teeny tiny little bugs like that around here, and I thought they made the (this is so gross) wads of spit bubble lookin' things I find down low on blades of grass.

north knect

north knect

How big is that thing, fish? I've seen teeny tiny little bugs like that around here, and I thought they made the (this is so gross) wads of spit bubble lookin' things I find down low on blades of grass.
ya if seen the spit bubbles in the lower nodes on my plants also..wtf is up with that?

north knect

north knect

well iv never had a bug issue from the spit bubbles..i never even washed it off or use pesticeds of any sort

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
How come they're not called katydidn'ts?

My dad usta call 'em that.
------------------------------
I've never seen katydids as a problem.
@fishwhistle: you said you caught them "munching buds".
I've found, like ken said, that they just eat large leaves;
and they don't eat a whole bunch, like grasshoppers do--
I still get 'em out of the garden if I can tho...

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Its a good 3-3.5'' long,looks just like a leaf.I did google it,seems just like a camo'd grasshopper,bitchin though. Hear you go seamaiden,
''The katydid derives its name from the male’s repetitive call, which has been phoneticized as “katydid, katy-didn’t.”
Be careful if pinegrove D starts to rub his legs together and make this call,he might want more than to just sing you a song,lol.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

My dad usta call 'em that.
------------------------------
I've never seen katydids as a problem.
@fishwhistle: you said you caught them "munching buds".
I've found, like ken said, that they just eat large leaves;
and they don't eat a whole bunch, like grasshoppers do--
I still get 'em out of the garden if I can tho...
Both ive found have been on my leaves and i have been losing leaves to bug damage,quite a few actually.Its like they hit em at night then the leaf gets necrosis,yellows and dies off within a couple days.

Supercharge

Supercharge

Katydids are herbivores, same as grasshoppers. They'll munch your plants. But they're beautiful insects, I wouldn't have the heart to kill them. And yes, they do hit plants at night, they're generally nocturnal, unlike grashoppers.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

I will be watching for them now,they are very hard to see.Today i had 2 but i know they have been doing the hit and run during the nights.I dont want to hurt them,they are bitchin, but if you munch my plants your asking for it:mad:.Shit if it ate aphids instead of my plants id build it a couch to kick it on but for now they are 86ed off my plants,if i catch them again ill be bouncing their melons off the block wall til they get the message.

str8smokn

str8smokn

Ok how about this one. Damn it it's upsidedown, this one is brown, but I've seen green- also kind of red w/ blue stripes.

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
I will be watching for them now,they are very hard to see.Today i had 2 but i know they have been doing the hit and run during the nights.I dont want to hurt them,they are bitchin, but if you munch my plants your asking for it:mad:.Shit if it ate aphids instead of my plants id build it a couch to kick it on but for now they are 86ed off my plants,if i catch them again ill be bouncing their melons off the block wall til they get the message.
Thats one cool bug !!! lookin that is ...makes ya wonder who ever created these things had to be smokin some good weed at the time ...

Top Bottom