Keep Alive Oxygen Infusor!!

• Thread starter bakershredhead
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bakershredhead

Just about to start a UC run in my room in about three weeks. I'm thinking about ditching the epicenter diffusor and putting an oxygen infusor in it instead. Looking for some feedback from people. Here's the linkhttp://www.keepalive.net/movies/KA1100.ram Also here's their website. /www.keepalive.net/movies/ Looks like the bubbles are very tiny so more time to react with the water.

UCHQ

UCHQ

THCFarmer Sponsor
Supporter
Instead of ditching the diffuser, do both.

B

bakershredhead

I'll try. Just don't know if both will fit. Have you had any use with these UCHQ?

UCHQ

UCHQ

THCFarmer Sponsor
Supporter
Haven't used them personally, though it seems like it would have to be helpful. Just be sure to acquire one with that's large enough to be significant in the volume of solution your system will be holding. Looking forward to seeing how it works out for you.

aSilvrHaze

aSilvrHaze

Yes, please update the thread if you end up picking up one and trying it out, very interested to see the results...

B

Budshoteyes

I am interested too! In theory the system is great....I'll be ordering one soon!
Been wanting an aerator for months,just had to many other priorities till now.

B

bakershredhead

Ordered one yesterday. I've never cataloged a grow on here but I think I'll do it this time. Going to try running the oxidizer Oxidate in this grow also.

stickyfing3rs

stickyfing3rs

I run oxygen using into my epi bucket and have a ball valve so the water sprays through the pure oxygen in my sealed epicenter. Have seen noticeable different growth rates and yeilds. I think d.o. is # 1 priority when it comes to dwc

B

bakershredhead

Hey Stiky are you actually running a tank of pure o2 into your epi center?

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Your plants root system can have too much DO and it will stunt growth.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0304423807001203

An upper limit for elevated root zone dissolved oxygen concentration for tomato

References and further reading may be available for this article. To view references and further reading you must purchase this article.

Youbin ZhengCorresponding Author Contact Information, a, E-mail The Corresponding Author, Linping Wanga and Mike Dixona

aDepartment of Environmental Biology, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, N1G 2W1 Canada
Received 13 November 2006;
revised 21 February 2007;
accepted 16 March 2007.
Available online 26 April 2007.

Abstract

It is well understood that insufficient oxygen within plant root zones can greatly diminish plant productivity. However, little is known about the effect of elevated root zone oxygen concentrations. Tomato (Lycopersicon lycopersicum Mill., cv. Trust) seedlings were grown in nutrient solutions containing dissolved oxygen (DO) concentration ranging from 5.3 to 40 mg L−1 for 4 weeks. There were no visible symptoms observed on the leaves or stems in any of the treatments. Leaf chlorophyll content was higher in the 40 mg L−1 treatment than with 20 and 30 mg L−1 DO treatments. Two weeks from the start of the experiment, roots in the 40 mg L−1 treatment exhibited stunted growth, became thicker, and had fewer side and fine roots compared to roots in the lower levels of DO treatment. Almost all the measured growth parameters (fresh and dry weights of root, stem, and leaf, leaf area, stem diameter) were significantly reduced in plants grown in the 40 mg L−1 treatment compared to plants in the lower level of DO treatments, except that the plant height increased with the increasing DO concentration. Root respiration increased linearly with increasing DO concentration; however, there was no effect on leaf net CO2 exchange rate. It is suggested that it was safe to enrich root zone DO to as high as 30 mg L−1, although the growth benefit was minor by increasing DO from ambient air saturated level (not, vert, similar8.5 mg L−1) to 30 mg L−1. Higher than 30 mg L−1 could cause reduction in tomato plant growth.

Keywords: Chlorophyll content; Oxygen diffuser; Oxygen supersaturation; Root respiration; Photosynthesis
Article Outline

Introduction

Materials and methods

Results and discussion

Acknowledgements

References

Thumbnail image

Fig. 1. The root, stem, leaf and whole plant fresh and dry weights (g plant−1), leaf area (cm2), stem diameter (cm) and plant height (cm) of tomato seedlings in nutrient solutions with different levels of dissolved oxygen (DO). Data on the same line bearing the same letter are not significantly different at 5% level.

View Within Article

Thumbnail image

Fig. 2. The relationships between tomato seedling root respiration rates and dissolved oxygen levels in nutrient solutions. “Fresh” denotes respiration rate was calculated based on root fresh weight (Y = 0.048X + 0.53, r2 = 0.9918, P = 0.0041); “Dry” denotes respiration rate was calculated based on root dry weight (Y = 0.648X + 16.50, r2 = 0.9879, P = 0.0061).

View Within Article

B

bakershredhead

Hey Woods I'm not going to be using pure O2. It just a pump that creates very small air bubbles that react with the water longer.

stickyfing3rs

stickyfing3rs

Ya I have an old co2 regulator I put an adapter for an oxygen tank instead of co2, seems like the overall health and vigor of my plants has improved. Not that they were weak to begin with, just better. Thanks for posting that artical woods I haven't read that before but I will definately take their word for it, I must not be anywhere near the concentration they were talking about. I wwould like to have a d.o. meter but their a little pricey.

H

Hythloth

Excited to see how this thing works out for you in your UC. Would you be able to post a video of it in your UC?

Onespark

Onespark

One more watching. I hope this works out well for you. We will see... Thanks BRH

B

bakershredhead

Still waiting on the pump and I'll have the UC up and going in about two weeks.

B

bakershredhead

Just got the system up and running a few days ago. I'll take some pictures when I can. I just wired the "Keep Alive" pump to an 2.5 amp 12v ac/dc adaptor. I've got it running at the moment 24/7 I'll see how long it lasts. It seems when I had it on a timer it wouldn't prime or come back on. The bubbles it does put out are the smallest that I have ever seen. You can barely see them with your eyes. You need to look really close to even see any. So they must being really be staying in contact with the water instead of just floating to the surface as with larger bubbles.

B

bakershredhead

Been running the infusor 24/7 for about ten days now. I had it on a timer but for some reason it won't turn back on after it's been shut off. It might have something to do with the ac/dc converter that I am using. I have to start the pump out in 9v than turn it to 12v or it won't start. It does make very small bubbles though. You need to put your hand in the water and then you can see the bubbles attach to your hand. I don't know if it's creating enough oxygen for the whole system but it can't hurt. Doesn't seem a bad idea to have back up oxygen pumps in case a pump goes out.

IMG 0810
Top Bottom