Keep an OG Kush from stretching

• Thread starter Green Giant
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Green Giant

Green Giant

I'm having trouble keeping a OG Kush from stretching too much. I lower the light and it doesn't like it, I raise the light and up she comes.... Way to much stem, not enough bush...

What can I do to stop this?

Thanks

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I believe stretching is in the genes of OG Kush, so if you really wanna bush her out I would Top her. After that trim some undergrowth and when the 2 new tops grow about 5-6 inches Top her again and as she keeps growing I would tie her main branches so you keep an even canopy. You can Top as many times as you want but I wouldn't do it more than 3 times, I have never done it more than 3 times but I heard it''s not good. There are alot of other great techniques but I think Topping is the easiest and least time consuming, it's also very effective.

K

keonaona

I would supercrop it , it helps control the stretch for me ..toppin it only makes for more branches..if thats what you want... i squeeze the branch till it cracks .. i dont bend it after i snap it like some do..but it does add more branching.. I wouldn't do it during flower maybe two weeks in not after ... are you gettin the stretch when you go in to flower??? is it from seed??? or clone??? i've noticed that if from seed it stretchs like a motha... maybe you would have better luck with the clone... you should look in to supercropping it ...test it on 1 plant and see what happens...or just read up on it... some people would say lightin distance , genetics, spectrum of light, this things go's on and on.. but i think your going to have to try for yourself and see what works for you...just my 2 cents.. good luck...

MonsterRobot

MonsterRobot

Kushes stretch man... Try using a screen and weaving your girl as she stretches... Not only does it eliminate the need for staking your plant up, it helps you get a more even canopy and increases your yield...

C

critical

I would supercrop it , it helps control the stretch for me ..toppin it only makes for more branches..if thats what you want... i squeeze the branch till it cracks .. i dont bend it after i snap it like some do..but it does add more branching.. I wouldn't do it during flower maybe two weeks in not after ... are you gettin the stretch when you go in to flower??? is it from seed??? or clone??? i've noticed that if from seed it stretchs like a motha... maybe you would have better luck with the clone... you should look in to supercropping it ...test it on 1 plant and see what happens...or just read up on it... some people would say lightin distance , genetics, spectrum of light, this things go's on and on.. but i think your going to have to try for yourself and see what works for you...just my 2 cents.. good luck...

i use this exact same style of supercropping and will totaly agree with what keonaona is sayin and have done up to 2 week into flower with decent results also, and it makes the plant react as if been toped but you dont lose your top bud and it will usually make that turn out bigger also as it heals n knuckles over and the plant then knows it can support more if u do this pinch just under the start of the top bud, maybe a couple nodes or so down from it

purpleberry

purpleberry

Screen works best, 16" plant with 5-6 tops bent under a screen and flipped can end up with 20 tops that shot up 12-24" over the screen. You can spend the first week bending under the screen if its a real stretchy cut.

OctoberDee

OctoberDee

Tie her down, LST is the way to go. You won't lose any tops that have already formed and it won't stress your plant the way topping and super cropping might, not opposed to either one but there's a reason they call it low stress training.

efnscreenames

efnscreenames

practice all of these techniques, OG is a strain that will never get old so work that bitch to perfection, every answer on here is right. you just have to figure out which one is right for your area or setup. you can start her flowering soon after she sprouts and that will keep the stretch down.

efnscreenames

efnscreenames

og#18 gives you that og goodness with more production. look into it

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

U can't really stop the stretch with OG Kush u can only control the height by topping,LST, & super cropping like everybody els said.. With WiFi #1 I need 2 do all 3 to control her height..

drknockbootz

drknockbootz

Dont water as frequently. Ive found when I handwater once a day or every other day, its not as bad. But when I water 3 times a day the stretch is even more unmanageable.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Welcome to OG Kush...lol
She just starts the stretch in week 3 of flower when everything else is done stretching and flowering heartily.
Hybrids is your answer or a lot of plant maintanence and vary your techniques til you are happy with it. You can flower em out right away if it's a true OG, she'll grow as much as you wanted in veg in the early flower period, maybe....lots of factors..

homebrew420

homebrew420

Use poison plant growth regulators like phosphoload and bush master...hahaha Sorry I had too. All the advise given, except mine, is great.
We prune in anticipation of this stretch and then trellis with netting.

Good luck homes. and dont ever use the shit i listed.

Peace

homebrew420

homebrew420

Use a plant growth regulator like bushmaster or doctor nodes....or utilize the training methods you feel you have the time or energy for.
Ooh...um I didn't see this. No offense was meant. Use the training methods, NOT the PGRs. They are poison and NOT approved for ANY type of consumable plants.

Peace

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I would supercrop it , it helps control the stretch for me ..toppin it only makes for more branches..if thats what you want

I'm gonna have to disagree, technically topping will create more branches, but the whole point of topping is to promote side branching, so you can easily tie a few branches down here and there, and viola, you got a nice, even canopy. So when it comes to "more branches" its a good thing if you know how to make the canopy even. You made it sound like its a bad thing to have more branches and super cropping is better at controlling stretch. Thats really not true because, like I said before, you can easily tie down some branches with topping and its the exact same thing as doing a scrog, just without the screen.

I'm not saying super cropping isn't good, but if you wanna break your branches and wait for them to heal itself go ahead, when I top I never see any "stunted growth" and its so much easier to create an even canopy, like this

Canopy 1

Thats 1 plant, topped 1 time at week 2, topped 2 more branches at week 4, tied about 6 branches total and thats what came out of it in its 3rd week of flower. I never supercropped in my life, but I've seen lots of people do it and its not better then topping with branches being tied down.

So yes, it creates more branches, but a noob could easily tie a few branches down and end up with more tops at canopy level, which creates bigger yields.

Top Bottom