Keep It Or Cull It?

• Thread starter Potato Pipe
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Potato Pipe

Potato Pipe

I am starting my first grow and had originally intended to only do one plant. I picked a White Widow seed that came as a freebie with other seeds I ordered and attempted to germinate it in water but after 48 hours it was still floating at the top. Another 48 hours and it sank but gave no indication it was going to sprout.

I decided to pull another seed (Delahaze from Dinafem) and germinate it using the paper towel method. I also threw the White Widow seed in there with plans to toss it if nothing happened. Well, fast forward 24 hours and they both sprouted. The Delahaze has come along as expected, but the WW had trouble shedding it' seed pod and I ended up having to use a scalpel and a pair of tweezers to help it along.

Both of the plants in the picture sprouted and were planted at the same time. Should I let the WW keep going or is it a dud? It doesn't seem to be growing at even an 1/4th of the rate of the Delahaze and hasn't developed any leaves beyond the set that it had when it came out of the pod.
20150211_105317.jpg

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
I am starting my first grow and had originally intended to only do one plant. I picked a White Widow seed that came as a freebie with other seeds I ordered and attempted to germinate it in water but after 48 hours it was still floating at the top. Another 48 hours and it sank but gave no indication it was going to sprout.

I decided to pull another seed (Delahaze from Dinafem) and germinate it using the paper towel method. I also threw the White Widow seed in there with plans to toss it if nothing happened. Well, fast forward 24 hours and they both sprouted. The Delahaze has come along as expected, but the WW had trouble shedding it' seed pod and I ended up having to use a scalpel and a pair of tweezers to help it along.

Both of the plants in the picture sprouted and were planted at the same time. Should I let the WW keep going or is it a dud? It doesn't seem to be growing at even an 1/4th of the rate of the Delahaze and hasn't developed any leaves beyond the set that it had when it came out of the pod.
20150211_105317.jpg
It might be a little jealous that is not in a big pot and closer to the light. Lol

AlaskanGrown

AlaskanGrown

I grow Daphne's on the side, just cuz I got a 100 yr old bush in my yard. The runtiest 5yr old I had one time, maybe 3 inches tall, turned into a beauty when she took off. I can't toss stuff that's living, I give everybody/thing the benefit of the doubt.

H

happy b

Alot of the time when I'm pheno hunting the smaller plants I,v not really had my eye on for a keeper often have the darkest tastiest buds . If you have the space I would just let it go but that's just me.

Potato Pipe

Potato Pipe

Great replies and thank you. I didn't know different strains have faster or slower starts. I'll re-pot her this afternoon.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
I wouldn't go that far yet either. Are there roots popping out the bottom? Most wait till they have at least three or four nodes before up potting.

Potato Pipe

Potato Pipe

@tobh, the roots were popping through on the delahaze so I repotted it. The WW is just now starting to show roots on the bottom.

miko

miko

I agreed with the rest, keep them unless they are dead or way mutated - or last, you just plain don't have the space for them and have better specimens. :)
Peace~

Potato Pipe

Potato Pipe

I'm still holding on to her. She's a shrubby little runt compared to her roommate but seems to be happy.
3tu8zPPhwSKSP7auCeBDvGLc7uW9fliHDIDPjt7hZZ2jvM6TX3Jy1fSfwvKi4kbMAK6ncjrblf9qpRQ=w1342-h547

I'm running the other plant sideways to keep her from taking too much of the White Widow's light.
3s5oZXu9H0Lbsw2dmCSKGYFsmZaU4eTsSh-w0rg1TsdVE7kd9kOE7Z8JKBwIws-Tcbc6toRs5ZtP2SQ=w1342-h547

Full.Melt

Full.Melt

i've grown out delahaze from paradise seeds i don't think dinafem makes one.anyway you won't be disappointed with the dela she's a very tasty smoke.the pheno i have has a lemon citrus skunk funk to her.

Potato Pipe

Potato Pipe

Yeah, that was my bad. Delahaze is from Paradise and White Widow is from Dinafem (at least that is what my order says).

Full.Melt

Full.Melt

i also had the widow from dinafem but gave that bean away.been running the delahaze for almost a year and i have a decent seed collection so that says a lot.

Potato Pipe

Potato Pipe

@Full.Melt
Any tips, tricks, or nuances for the Delahaze you can think of that would help a first timer? Seems like a great strain for first time growing so far but I'd regret not asking and risk missing out.

Full.Melt

Full.Melt

@Potato Pipe she's a very low maintenance girl a good beginner strain.i gave this cut to all my friends they all love it and have great results.

lone420ranger

lone420ranger

Not to hijack the thread, but I sympathize with anybody who has had some of these problems, and Full.Melt in particular.

I started a femmed Wi-Fi seed a few weeks ago and while it has sprouted and broke the soil, it's only about 1/8th of an inch tall with only one set of leaves. The other 30 or so seedlings are 1 to 2 inches tall and are showing 3 to 4 sets of leaves.

I knew early on that this particular bean had produced a pitiful runt, but I kept hoping it would take off; but tomorrow I shall cull it... I am so sad...

Good thing I have 10 more White Fire beans. ;-)

Top Bottom