Keep It Simple Nute Pack cook time?

• Thread starter Funkadelic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Hey all -
I wanted to minimize my cook time this round, so I went with Simplici-tea's KIS Nute-pack.

How long do you let this cook? The directions say
"Just add the nutrient pack and water to the soil mix, let it sit for a few days and it's ready to use!
... No risk of burning your plant, just plant and go!"

Its been a week since first mix, and the packet came out reeking like low tide, and the soil was warm to the touch after a couple days still.
THEN it stunk like a really dirty catbox.

I'm guessing the mix is heavy on the ocean products (fish, kelp, etc) and theres a lot of breakdown to ammonia. It was making my eyes water a bit at first, but its a lot less stinky and ammonia-y now...

Is this sufficient time/normal? I dropped a soil thermometer in there yesterday....

S

slap14

Sounds like your mix as gone anaerobic, not good but fixable. Whatever you have your mix in I would suggest dumping it out and mixing it around to get as much air to it as possible. You may have to do this every couple days to get some of the moisture out of it. I would always let it cook for at least 30 days. I personally cook my stuff for at least 120 days plus, but thats just me. Soil should never stink when cooking.

Good luck Funk

Slap

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I have no idea. I'm going to be very honest here. When I tried to see about making a purchase, my questions could not be answered and ease of purchasing wasn't there for me. I want EASY. That said, I'd made a note to myself to check out the site again and see if they offer any more information and an easier way to pay. If that's the case, then I'll try some products.

If it's strong on the ammonia smell, I think something went awry, but couldn't say what exactly. Sounds like slap's got the idea.

M

mars

If it has anything to do with the ocean it is most likely radiated as well as inundated with crap from the BP oil disaster in the gulf.
Kinda like ( all things effect the other) just like ( all energy permeates all things, or is it energy.

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Mars - good point, seriously. Never thought of that, and its legit.
The company is from the Puget Sound area (Redmond, WA - I think... Microsoft HQ hood), so I'm inclined to think they source more local to them. Good observation, and in general I completely agree.

Seamaiden - the ingredient list is strong. Good good good stuff. The 4lb nutrient pack bags are dry, dusty, probably quite water soluble, rather oceany right out of the bag. I will def keep you posted in this forum how well it works.

Slap - your soil recipe is 100% no joke and I nearly went with it, for the record.
I think you hit the nail on the head, too.
The soil is in a giant 100g rubbermaid horse trough, so it doesnt breathe particularly well.

I initially added high concentration activated microbe tea. Problem was, that was in sterile soil with no plants and insufficient aeration.

Aerobic microbes had nothing to latch onto, they died and decayed, and anaerobic microbes found themselves a wonderful home. The bastards.

The temp is down to about 84F, from a high of nearly 110F, according to the Rapitest soil thermometer. The stink is way down, though still some ammonia.

Now I've moved the soil into 10g smartpots, about 1/3rd full of soil each. Going to air out, cool, then add another several gallons each.... before transplanting, which I will do with beneficial microbes/tea/mykos *AT TRANSPLANT*...
does that strategy make sense, guys?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Since you say anaerobes got going in that soil, I personally would hit it with tea twice. Now, and then at transplant.

I have a feeling that the nute packs may be 'available' moreso than 'soluble'. It's a bit of a trick to get your head wrapped around the idea that solubility doesn't automatically mean availability, and vice versa. Mostly, it's about form & function, and the function as I understand KIS to be doing things is feeding the soil, which means the nutes should be sticking around for a while, while microbes are busy breaking them down. Maybe? That's my guess.

surfguitar

surfguitar

I used this nutrient pack in my 400w room flowering right now and 1k room, very very good mix from what I'm seeing. I let it sit for about 1.5 weeks before using some of it which was long enough but it could have def gone a bit longer, I used all it around 3 weeks which was about perfect. I just mixed it up put it in platic rubbermaids, watered i a couple times and let it sit. A thick white fungus developed after about a week, never turned it or anything.

surfguitar

surfguitar

If it has anything to do with the ocean it is most likely radiated as well as inundated with crap from the BP oil disaster in the gulf.

What a bunch of garbage, let's guess you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about? Honestly the radiation isn't that big of a deal at this point and I doubt any of there products are coming from the florida gulf..... fear mongering at it's best... Stick to ATS :banghead:

B

bckwht

this was my first grow using soil and i had no issues with there nute pack…just mixed it in a tote and watered..after a few days it got real warm and the white fungus began to form after that..i did turn it over a few times and had no prob during my entire grow..used a tea a few times and was prob my easiest grow yet..i didn't plant seedlings directly into the mixed soil though, i put them in 1/1/1 mix of peat/ewc/perlite for first 10 days or so

S

slap14

Mars - good point, seriously. Never thought of that, and its legit.
The company is from the Puget Sound area (Redmond, WA - I think... Microsoft HQ hood), so I'm inclined to think they source more local to them. Good observation, and in general I completely agree.

Seamaiden - the ingredient list is strong. Good good good stuff. The 4lb nutrient pack bags are dry, dusty, probably quite water soluble, rather oceany right out of the bag. I will def keep you posted in this forum how well it works.

Slap - your soil recipe is 100% no joke and I nearly went with it, for the record.
I think you hit the nail on the head, too.
The soil is in a giant 100g rubbermaid horse trough, so it doesnt breathe particularly well.

I initially added high concentration activated microbe tea. Problem was, that was in sterile soil with no plants and insufficient aeration.

Aerobic microbes had nothing to latch onto, they died and decayed, and anaerobic microbes found themselves a wonderful home. The bastards.

The temp is down to about 84F, from a high of nearly 110F, according to the Rapitest soil thermometer. The stink is way down, though still some ammonia.

Now I've moved the soil into 10g smartpots, about 1/3rd full of soil each. Going to air out, cool, then add another several gallons each.... before transplanting, which I will do with beneficial microbes/tea/mykos *AT TRANSPLANT*...
does that strategy make sense, guys?

Hey Funk,

When I mix my soil I put it in two 44 gallon rubbermaid trash cans. The first time I let it sit for about 7 days and opened it up and it smelled like someone took a mean dump in it, i mean it stunk bad. Since then I take the soil out of the trash & can pour it on a tarp. Then I mix it around and put it back in the cans. I do this about 4 times and then just let it sit in the cans till I need it. Never had another problem after that. The enemy here is too much moisture and not enough air.

Good luck with your grow, love the organic meds:D

Slap

M

moemoe08

It only cooks a week. I use it. It doesn't have the guanos that take month to cook. None of the ingredients have to be cooked longer than a week. It's ready to use and it won't burn your plants.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Wow, so you can't even just click 'order' and hit a PayPal link yet, eh? You've gotta call Tad to order the nute pack? Guys... it's not *that* hard. No list of ingredients on the site, again, not *that* hard to put up there. Color me perplexed on the 'marketing' strategy.

So, are you guys calling every time you need to place an order, or what? Auto-refill maybe?

surfguitar

surfguitar

Maybe you are going to the wrong site SM? ;)

You can order from this link and they have ingredient list. I've called and talked to them over there too and they are very cool guys

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yes, I actually have Tad on my Facebook, he's very sweet and kind, IMO. You're right, when I Googled and followed links via their webpage, no 'add to cart' came up. That's weird. I'm gonna have to go through my history to see how I got to a page that didn't have that information, laid out differently, too.

This is the link I landed on:

Top Bottom