Keeping a mother going questions/solutions help .

• Thread starter Leeboy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Leeboy

Leeboy

I’m getting ready to switch to some photo runs after a few years of only autos . My 4x4 tent( with heater ) is in my garage . I’m halfway through my auto run , and one seed I got from a guy in Ontario ( says they were autos 🙄) has definitely proven to be photo. It’s about 6 weeks old and showing no signs of an auto . Only problem is I really like it . Has a great smell already . I’m running the autos 24/7 light . Was thinking of cloning it , but I won’t have anyplace to keep the mother if it turns out to be a good strain . I’m wondering , what is the weakest light I could keep the mother alive . Maybe bring it in the house ? ( probably get bugs 🐜 from my girlfriends over wintering citrus plants) I don’t have room for another tent in the garage . If I clone this plant , could I slowly change the light cycle of the autos to not shock them? If I bought a small mother tent , could I throw the mother in there with the doors open since I don’t have another fan and venting inside . Any ideas ? Thanks 🙏

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I’m getting ready to switch to some photo runs after a few years of only autos . My 4x4 tent( with heater ) is in my garage . I’m halfway through my auto run , and one seed I got from a guy in Ontario ( says they were autos 🙄) has definitely proven to be photo. It’s about 6 weeks old and showing no signs of an auto . Only problem is I really like it . Has a great smell already . I’m running the autos 24/7 light . Was thinking of cloning it , but I won’t have anyplace to keep the mother if it turns out to be a good strain . I’m wondering , what is the weakest light I could keep the mother alive . Maybe bring it in the house ? ( probably get bugs 🐜 from my girlfriends over wintering citrus plants) I don’t have room for another tent in the garage . If I clone this plant , could I slowly change the light cycle of the autos to not shock them? If I bought a small mother tent , could I throw the mother in there with the doors open since I don’t have another fan and venting inside . Any ideas ? Thanks 🙏
picture of the plant please

Leeboy

Leeboy

I’m on night shift tonight , but I’ll get it in the morning. Other thing is , it’s in a half gallon pot of course coco . Probably would need to transfer it , it needs two good glugs of water a day

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

I’m running the autos 24/7 light
definitely wasting electric doing this brother but theres nothing wrong with 24/0
I’m getting ready to switch to some photo runs after a few years of only autos
if the keeping a mother bug has bitten your probably gonna end up with more as you get into photos dont go too large on the pot or you wont be able to fit much in a small space
could I throw the mother in there with the doors open since I don’t have another fan and venting inside
temporary till you can get the fan and venting? you wont have much heat issues coming from a low output light which are fine for mothers. people recommend around 250 ppfd so the growth isnt too much, dont know how many cutting you need

Leeboy

Leeboy

The stem smells real skunky , and it was in a pack of skunk autos . So I figured I’d wanna see what it is . Would I freak out the autos if I went 18/6 ( for the photo clippings) after i snip some clones ?

Leeboy

Leeboy

So the autos that aren’t finished will be fine even if I get to flipping 12/12 . I’ve got a surplus of bud all jarred up, that’s why I wanna try an experiment with this lone photo.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Why didn’t you tell me this 3 years ago ? 😩…. Besides electricity , what would I have gained by running the autos 18/6 over 24/0 ?
more light the better from them, though a little rest time should be included even go 20/4.. but if you were successful with 24/0 than all good.. unless there was issues?
i never grown autos but there’s lots of growers here that do..

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

You can keep a mother plant alive with veg lights. You don't want to use a light that is going to make her want to elongate.

I have kept mother plants alive without a fan -- just leaving flaps open -- but my humidity is not high. If you have an issue with humidity, it could be trouble.

One of the big hassles of mama plants for me is that they grow way more than I need them to grow between taking cuttings for a grow. If you are supplying several "tent fulls" of plants this would probably not be an issue, but I have only one tent for flowering, at the moment. If you can keep the mama a little cooler (70F or 20C or thereabout).

Leeboy

Leeboy

My girlfriend does want an indoor veggie starter / winter garden tent .maybe I’ll grab a small one , do this little project then hand the tent over. I have a $100 amazon grow light with a dimmer I could prob make do with . Part of me wants to say screw it and just buy more seeds 😬, but maybe the bum who cheated me on the auto seeds let a good one slip through 🤷🏻‍♂️

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Just thought of something. Since it was a bad bean 🫘 deal, maybe I'm growing a male 🤔. Any way to tell on a photo before flipping ?
Hey, I flip my mothers . I take cuttings just before I flip them, raise the children until the mothers are done, take cuttings from the children and flip them... The cycle continues without keeping a mother to tend.....I've 4 strains I keep going at the moment by doing that.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Just thought of something. Since it was a bad bean 🫘 deal, maybe I'm growing a male 🤔. Any way to tell on a photo before flipping ?
How far along is the plant?

Between 4 and 6 weeks of veg, most plants will show "preflowers," which are rather tiny, at first. Get a magnifier of some sort, at least 5x, and check the top two or three nodes. The preflowers pop up between the petiole (also called a "leaf stem") and the stipule (the little, green spike-shaped thingy near the petiole).

Johnlandy420

Johnlandy420

Supporter
Hey, I flip my mothers . I take cuttings just before I flip them, raise the children until the mothers are done, take cuttings from the children and flip them... The cycle continues without keeping a mother to tend.....I've 4 strains I keep going at the moment by doing that.
👍 This is what I learned from all the good growers on here. Saved me tons of space and allowed for tons of variety.

Moshmen

Moshmen

👍 This is what I learned from all the good growers on here. Saved me tons of space and allowed for tons of variety.
I do the same - supposed dwindle in quality the more clone generations but I got one prolly 10-12 cycle deep and it still seems fine if Nothing else I’m better at growing them ! Lol - anyways mothers are in solos or 1/2 gallons until ready for flower - next batch of moms are rootin 3 strains kept in very little space , sometimes the kitchen table , bout only thing better would be tissue culture

Top Bottom