Keeping a small mother plant.

• Thread starter BigCube
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BigCube

BigCube

So, I always like to keep a mother of my favorite strain. Right now it's the white widow, but soon it will be changing.

Anyways, though I would go through what I do to keep a small potbound mother plant.

Keeping a small mother plant 2

This plant is about 4 months old, it was made from a weird cutting off of another white widow clone I made, that was pot bound in a solo cup.

Keeping a small mother plant 4

The 3 stems are actually nodes of a small branch that was half dead. If you look close in the crotch, you can see the dead tip of what used to be the top of the branch.

Keeping a small mother plant 3

As you can see, the plant doesnt look the best. Potbound plants will have lots of issues that look like deficiencies, along with random leaf die off.

Keeping a small mother plant 5

Managing the nutrients is a bit if a game, but not so hard. When its root bound you basically feed it clone/seedling levels of nutrients. Dont go by what the plant looks like, cause a potbound plant lies. As you can see from where I've taken clones recently, the new growth is perfect.

Keeping a small mother plant 6

About once every 3 or 4 months, I give it the massive cleaning. Starting with choosing a line about half way up the plant and just cutting everything from that line up, off. I also clean out most of the dead material and give her a good full nutrient watering.

Keeping a small mother plant

2 days later, shes bouncing back with a vengeance. All these tops will split, making more nodes (clone sites) and making the plant shorter and bushier. Next time it gets root bound she will be shorter and wider.

Hope this helps! This girl will be flowers soon since I will be switching strains.

Terpz719

Terpz719

So, I always like to keep a mother of my favorite strain. Right now it's the white widow, but soon it will be changing.

Anyways, though I would go through what I do to keep a small potbound mother plant.

View attachment 928260

This plant is about 4 months old, it was made from a weird cutting off of another white widow clone I made, that was pot bound in a solo cup.

View attachment 928263

The 3 stems are actually nodes of a small branch that was half dead. If you look close in the crotch, you can see the dead tip of what used to be the top of the branch.

View attachment 928262

As you can see, the plant doesnt look the best. Potbound plants will have lots of issues that look like deficiencies, along with random leaf die off.

View attachment 928264

Managing the nutrients is a bit if a game, but not so hard. When its root bound you basically feed it clone/seedling levels of nutrients. Dont go by what the plant looks like, cause a potbound plant lies. As you can see from where I've taken clones recently, the new growth is perfect.

View attachment 928265

About once every 3 or 4 months, I give it the massive cleaning. Starting with choosing a line about half way up the plant and just cutting everything from that line up, off. I also clean out most of the dead material and give her a good full nutrient watering.

View attachment 928259

2 days later, shes bouncing back with a vengeance. All these tops will split, making more nodes (clone sites) and making the plant shorter and bushier. Next time it gets root bound she will be shorter and wider.

Hope this helps! This girl will be flowers soon since I will be switching strains.

Thanks so much for posting this! I plan on keeping a few mom plants, and have serious space limitations.

basscaptain

basscaptain

Thanks so much for posting this! I plan on keeping a few mom plants, and have serious space limitations.
+1 I still think I'm outside so i have made a few mistakes, thanks for the ideas.....

Top Bottom