Keeping the humidity in check

• Thread starter awesomeblossom
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
awesomeblossom

awesomeblossom

Hey there happy people. I have been on the verge of buying a dehumidifier to keep the levels in check at night time.
I got to thinking Why not just add some house plants in the room that suck the humidity out of the air..
Just wondering if anyone has done this, if it's even feasible.
Let me know your thoughts on the subject.
Have a happy day happy people.
Yell keep ranchin

freezeland2

freezeland2

Hey there happy people. I have been on the verge of buying a dehumidifier to keep the levels in check at night time.
I got to thinking Why not just add some house plants in the room that suck the humidity out of the air..
Just wondering if anyone has done this, if it's even feasible.
Let me know your thoughts on the subject.
Have a happy day happy people.
Yell keep ranchin
Buy a dehumidifier. You are looking for problems putting houseplants around your grow.

Bluebuddha

Bluebuddha

Yep. Adding plants will increase humidity due to transpiration. I had to buy a big 4500sq ft to deal with it.

Funny enough I bought a humidifier at first because humidity was too low(35%) as soon as they got to 6 inches I no longer needed it and soon found myself in the 70% range...

G

gaz21

OK so I have a question about humidity in grow tents/rooms. Now the general rule of thumb is to lower humidity gradually in veg and keep humidity low in flower. Now is there any proven benefits of doing this except for avoiding mold,rot,mildew etc?

Choppr

Choppr

OK so I have a question about humidity in grow tents/rooms. Now the general rule of thumb is to lower humidity gradually in veg and keep humidity low in flower. Now is there any proven benefits of doing this except for avoiding mold,rot,mildew etc?
Yes, You are asking the right question - Research Vapor Pressure Deficit (VPD) - Vapor Pressure / Transpiration

Last edited:
Dub_City405

Dub_City405

Gotta have a proper vpd. But even before I learned that method of matching the temp with humidity. I used a dehumidifier and always set it to 60%. Once I get to flower I turn it down to 55%.

Simple fact that anything higher than 60 or 65. You will attract bugs and mold and powder mildew to the environment. It's not just plants. You home will start growing mold and mildew if you have to much moisture in the air. Dry wall gets soft. Eletric boxes swell up. Etc.. if humidity is to high. So I always knew to use a dehumidifier to keep that under control.

G

gaz21

OK let's put it another way. If I ran at 65 percent humidity all the way through the grow. And I didn't get any mold of any kind,no bugs of any kind and no rots of any kind. Would the higher humidity effect the outcome of the buds? Yield,formation,look,terps etc. I'm asking this and experimenting with one plant right now. And I'll tell you why. I want to know,And im sick of spending fortunes on environmental tools and appliances. She's a super buff cherry starting 3rd week of flower today been at a steady 65 percent since taken from the mother. She's kept separate from my other grow areas. I'm no academic but from most studies I can find. Humidity has to be around 70 percent and a certain temperature (which I don't have a figure for) she looks fine and we will see. I'll upload pics when I work out how to. But if anyone has any experience or scientific info they would wish to share I would much appreciate it. If you got bud rot,what humidity an temperature was you personally running at?

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Vpd chart

Use a VPD chart like this one and just follow the threshold. It's Relative Humidity related to Temperature that is important, as long as you're in the threshold you're good.

Choppr

Choppr

If I ran at 65 percent humidity all the way through the grow. And I didn't get any mold of any kind,no bugs of any kind and no rots of any kind. Would the higher humidity effect the outcome of the buds? Yield,formation,look,terps etc. I'm asking this and experimenting with one plant right now. And I'll tell you why. I want to know,And im sick of spending fortunes on environmental tools and appliances.
If you dont have a de-humidifier or a way to extract humidity ? Then make sure shes thinned out (so leaves aren't sitting on top of other leaves) and keep fans blowing on your plants 24/7 (yes during her dark period too) that is about the best way to avoid issues. If your in it for the long haul you will eventually need better environmental controls - good luck M8

GanjaJack

GanjaJack

Houseplants in your grow room??

That's one sure fire way to introduce mites.

Top Bottom