Kelpak seaweed/kelp extract

• Thread starter mkultra0421
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mkultra0421

I've heard about this Kelpak seaweed concentrate on some other boards and am thinking about trying it out. Supposedly it's superior to other kelp extracts - different strain of kelp, different processing method. I can't find any store that carries it but I think I saw some on ebay. Do any of you guys use this stuff and know where to buy it, or have good experiences with other brands?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I have good experience with all sea weed/kelp products I've used. I usually start at my local garden center, since the local Lowe's doesn't have much in the way of good quality organic stuff.

Hermitian

Hermitian

The claims about Kelpak are dubious. First of all, the primary function of Kelp extract are from the hormone it contains: gibberellic acid. The best plant source for gibberellic acid is from Ascophyllum nodosum. Reputable suppliers of seaweed extract will "balance" the extract so that the quantities and ratios of micro-nutrients are appropriate for plants. These manufacturers typically offer the product in both 12% and 26% concentrations.

true grit

true grit

SM- any preference on brands that worked better for coco app? Always used Age Old Kelp in my soil mixes, occasionally toss it in the coco mixes. Was looking at Super Nova as a kelp additive this run since i run the Dark Energy from em and love it.

H

H3AD_CAS3

The claims about Kelpak are dubious. First of all, the primary function of Kelp extract are from the hormone it contains: gibberellic acid. The best plant source for gibberellic acid is from Ascophyllum nodosum. Reputable suppliers of seaweed extract will "balance" the extract so that the quantities and ratios of micro-nutrients are appropriate for plants. These manufacturers typically offer the product in both 12% and 26% concentrations.

Would it be better to buy a concentrated form of GA3?

Hermitian

Hermitian

Would it be better to buy a concentrated form of GA3?

I'm not sure what you mean by "better".
  1. More cost effective? -- only if you have a large number of plants growing and can afford to buy the 2.5 gallon jugs. The price markup on the smaller containers is too high in comparison to a 12% or 26% balanced seaweed extract.
  2. Better for plant vigor? -- No, because you will apply the same net amount of hormone. If you over apply it, your plants could die from exhaustion.
  3. Easier to apply? -- Maybe, but the higher the concentration the more exacting your measurement needs to be.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
SM- any preference on brands that worked better for coco app? Always used Age Old Kelp in my soil mixes, occasionally toss it in the coco mixes. Was looking at Super Nova as a kelp additive this run since i run the Dark Energy from em and love it.
So far I like every seaweed/kelp product I've tried as they help mostly with micronutrients and are a great source of what I call "soft" N. I have not (yet) used any seaweed or kelp product to the point of causing lockouts, but my tendency when using anything is to go much lighter than recommended. The other one I like to use a lot is the dry MaxiCrop, that I then mix into a liquid myself. I like it because I'm not paying to ship water. I've never had a chance to use Age Old, but would if I got some, same with any of them. I personally think that a variety isn't a bad thing here, so I often switch around the kelp products during the grow.

I have on hand the MaxiCrop, Eco-Nutrient, Growmore seaweed extract, and... a dry kelp, can't remember the brand. Wait, I might have two different kelps. The dry stuff smells like the sea.

Hermitian

Hermitian

... I have not (yet) used any seaweed or kelp product to the point of causing lockouts ...

You won't have problems with lockout, because the concentration of micronutrients is insignificant compared to the concentration of gibberellic acid. It is the latter that can cause problems in the case of over-dosage: it will stimulate the plant to do more than is possible with the available nutrients and/or plant size. In doing so, the plant exhausts itself. Such instances are rare. People who follow directions on a reputable product will not have problems.

jammie

jammie

some seaweed/kelp products have a high sodium chloride% and this is were the lockout potential comes from. i've used general organic's bioweed with great results as both an additive to dwc buckets and as a foliar

H

H3AD_CAS3

some seaweed/kelp products have a high sodium chloride% and this is were the lockout potential comes from. i've used general organic's bioweed with great results as both an additive to dwc buckets and as a foliar

I'd be weary of using kelp additives in buckets. Especially one as organic as Bioweed. Foliar feeding FTW...

Top Bottom