Kind Of New

• Thread starter Redgravemine
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Redgravemine

Redgravemine

Hi, I'm sam and I've
been lurking and reading for a while over here. I don't normally like doing the egotistical thing but...
Let's see, I'm ex-army with some intresting details i can't tell you about (black ops, and i only know boring secrets anyway) which is how i ended up with ptsd, along with some childhood trauma. And in the state of nevada that qualifies.
That's where i am, nevada, las vegas, currently on the north west side of town, which is about 2500 feet above sea level.
(Btw, I should have mentioned it first, but first, I'm a writer, (international poetry awards, listed in who's who's, nominated for a nebula, and some more. Basically if you have a writing question, ask me) and sometimes when i write alot, well, let's say i was sampling the plants.)
I'm (we) currently are growing just two little plants. One is fire hemp from china (from one of their big hemp factory complexes i think) I'm looking forward to this one. The thc is most likely .5%, but I don't know the exact area. In north china some people grow alot of high thc plants around the factories so they can use the smell to hide their own operations. There are so many people doing this that the thc value of the hemp goes up.
<long pause>
I do believe i forgot this part. I've been growing plants of all types since i was a kid, maybe 3rd grade or so. My mom had grown up on a farm and my dads family took care of a forest in indiana, among other things. So I learned a lot of plant knowledge from them and when i was in college we did some genetics work in some of my psychology classes and some of my other classes.
I did my first grow about 15 years ago and it was a disaster. My cat ate all but two of my plants, which turned out to be a male and a female. I barely got 2 seeds and nothing else from them, they died in the move (our mortage company dropped every loan in the state)
I've done a few grows since then, maybe 3 or 4. Other plants maybe 2 dozen grows. I didn't really want to til it was legal.
Oh, I didn't talk about the other plants. Well, some of them are going to be ruderalis (I see something there that i think is of value... If.
Anyway, the last plant is kind of special. It's the last of the seeds from my old house and the only seeds that got exposed to a mutagenic poison (accidently. I had forgotten about these seeds. ) for anyone who wants to know the orginal poison switched chromosome 7 and 14 of the target species. At first i thought the seeds wouldn't be affected because of that. I was wrong. While there are roughly 4 different kinds of seeds in there (my species that i had been growing, and 2 good smokes seed and one fair smokes seed with others possible) but even the ruderalis i have been investigating dosen't grow this small. Though i am not sure if that is genetic or environmental. But i do know this is the only one of 60 seeds to germinate and possibly the only one that will. I'm not even sure at this point that self seeds from this plant will germinate (or that something didn't go really wrong and it can't produce flowers (or heck, maybe i got lucky and flower growth and vegetative growth rates got switched. I want to breed it with something and i kind of want to try either a haze or a northern lights breed or panama red, if i can find the seeds.
And a little upset because i got a source of pure cannabis ruderalis but it's taking way too long so i need to find another source of that.
Um, that's enough rambling for now. Thanks for reading

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Hi, I'm sam and I've
been lurking and reading for a while over here. I don't normally like doing the egotistical thing but...
Let's see, I'm ex-army with some intresting details i can't tell you about (black ops, and i only know boring secrets anyway) which is how i ended up with ptsd, along with some childhood trauma. And in the state of nevada that qualifies.
That's where i am, nevada, las vegas, currently on the north west side of town, which is about 2500 feet above sea level.
(Btw, I should have mentioned it first, but first, I'm a writer, (international poetry awards, listed in who's who's, nominated for a nebula, and some more. Basically if you have a writing question, ask me) and sometimes when i write alot, well, let's say i was sampling the plants.)
I'm (we) currently are growing just two little plants. One is fire hemp from china (from one of their big hemp factory complexes i think) I'm looking forward to this one. The thc is most likely .5%, but I don't know the exact area. In north china some people grow alot of high thc plants around the factories so they can use the smell to hide their own operations. There are so many people doing this that the thc value of the hemp goes up.
<long pause>
I do believe i forgot this part. I've been growing plants of all types since i was a kid, maybe 3rd grade or so. My mom had grown up on a farm and my dads family took care of a forest in indiana, among other things. So I learned a lot of plant knowledge from them and when i was in college we did some genetics work in some of my psychology classes and some of my other classes.
I did my first grow about 15 years ago and it was a disaster. My cat ate all but two of my plants, which turned out to be a male and a female. I barely got 2 seeds and nothing else from them, they died in the move (our mortage company dropped every loan in the state)
I've done a few grows since then, maybe 3 or 4. Other plants maybe 2 dozen grows. I didn't really want to til it was legal.
Oh, I didn't talk about the other plants. Well, some of them are going to be ruderalis (I see something there that i think is of value... If.
Anyway, the last plant is kind of special. It's the last of the seeds from my old house and the only seeds that got exposed to a mutagenic poison (accidently. I had forgotten about these seeds. ) for anyone who wants to know the orginal poison switched chromosome 7 and 14 of the target species. At first i thought the seeds wouldn't be affected because of that. I was wrong. While there are roughly 4 different kinds of seeds in there (my species that i had been growing, and 2 good smokes seed and one fair smokes seed with others possible) but even the ruderalis i have been investigating dosen't grow this small. Though i am not sure if that is genetic or environmental. But i do know this is the only one of 60 seeds to germinate and possibly the only one that will. I'm not even sure at this point that self seeds from this plant will germinate (or that something didn't go really wrong and it can't produce flowers (or heck, maybe i got lucky and flower growth and vegetative growth rates got switched. I want to breed it with something and i kind of want to try either a haze or a northern lights breed or panama red, if i can find the seeds.
And a little upset because i got a source of pure cannabis ruderalis but it's taking way too long so i need to find another source of that.
Um, that's enough rambling for now. Thanks for reading
Welcome to the Farm!

Redgravemine

Redgravemine

I'm actually very excited about that little plant. It's barely the height of a cigarette and it already has three colas (it self topped, kinda, earlier in the grow but the orginal center appears to be growing again. I tried to take a few pics but couldn't get the pics right... Um i was gonna post a pic but not sure how yet... Ok got it. Here it is july 20th and august 11 and august 12. Sorry about the bad side pic. I'll try to get a better one in a few hours.
Oh, and i was mostly trying to get stuff in the ground this time.
The pot behind has some green onions and some type of local autoflower, um, unwanted pest of a plant? Just haven't gotten to chopping them yet.

20170720 081028
20170811 081312
20170812 130347
20170811 081137 1
EventHorizan

EventHorizan

I'm actually very excited about that little plant. It's barely the height of a cigarette and it already has three colas (it self topped, kinda, earlier in the grow but the orginal center appears to be growing again. I tried to take a few pics but couldn't get the pics right... Um i was gonna post a pic but not sure how yet... Ok got it. Here it is july 20th and august 11 and august 12. Sorry about the bad side pic. I'll try to get a better one in a few hours.
Oh, and i was mostly trying to get stuff in the ground this time.
The pot behind has some green onions and some type of local autoflower, um, unwanted pest of a plant? Just haven't gotten to chopping them yet.
there called tops instead of colas..
Ands You prob shpould shade that lil thing a lil bit..
It seems stunted to me..
Over-watered?
too much sun?
Something//

Redgravemine

Redgravemine

It is and more then likely but nevada is harsh. I thought the extreme heat was over. He was in 115 degrees for a few days. It's not as bad now... But yes. More then likely. Not sure if it's the sun stunting it or something else.
He's more then likly upset that i planted him so late. But it's super weird cause i have never had a plant stunted out here.
(Um, outdoors here is tricky. I remember the last time i tried a tent the plant cooked in hours (minutes) And it was just overhead. I could back them into corners, but haven't had good luck with that so far.
But, like i said earlier, this plant most likly can't produce flowers anyway. Or no thc. Or instead of flowering it'll bust the nettle fruit out instead. Heck it could just die for no reason (well not no reason)

Sorry, tried to compose a post before i had coffee.
The plant is a product of a process called mutagenesis and while it is a little cooked cause i planted it in the dead of summer (btw, our autoflower plants developed here because of that. We have a few weeks of extreme heat in the summer (we got lucky. It only got to 115 this year. I have seen 128 (and i start working at death valley on tuesday. The hottest place on earth. Easily could be 135 there. Ugh. Anyway, the heat breaks when we start getting pretty much our only storms of the year. The leaf you are looking at cooked a few weeks ago and i pulled it to a darker part of the yard. But then got worried cause it looked like the plant wasn't getting enough sun. And about a week and a half ago (when it was 2 and a half weeks old) it developed a general deficit in everything condition. I am giving that plant a lot of fertilizer (x2) (as opposed to the half amount it should be using) something is going on with this plant, but i have no idea what.
(Oh, and the spot i moved it to shaded it from the sun from noon on. Or from 3 on at the other side. Tried them both. Just trying to understand this one. Also want to document what i am doing just in case something weird happens.
From google, this is mutagenesis

"Early approaches to mutagenesisrely on methods which are entirely random in the mutations produced. Cells or organisms may be exposed to mutagens such as UV radiation ormutagenic chemicals, and mutants with desired characteristics are then selected."

Now normally these processes are not available to us because of safety reasons. So i just had to grow it out once i figured it out. When i tried to grow the plants from these seeds just a month or two after they were exposed they all grew but right before they would get the second leaves the plants steam developed a line alont it from the base to the head and they just died. I went through 20 seeds before i just stopped. I just tried to germinate 60 of those seeds and all i got was one. Paper towel style. I don't like doing it because you can really damage the seed, but i wanted to see what was going on (i had just before tried 8 and nothing. Which confused me because i was always growing out those seeds one or two at a time (always means 3 or 4 times in this case.)

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

It is and more then likely but nevada is harsh. I thought the extreme heat was over. He was in 115 degrees for a few days. It's not as bad now... But yes. More then likely. Not sure if it's the sun stunting it or something else.
He's more then likly upset that i planted him so late. But it's super weird cause i have never had a plant stunted out here.
(Um, outdoors here is tricky. I remember the last time i tried a tent the plant cooked in hours (minutes) And it was just overhead. I could back them into corners, but haven't had good luck with that so far.
But, like i said earlier, this plant most likly can't produce flowers anyway. Or no thc. Or instead of flowering it'll bust the nettle fruit out instead. Heck it could just die for no reason (well not no reason)

The plant is a product of a process called mutagenesis and while it is a little cooked cause i planted it in the dead of summer (btw, our autoflower plants developed here because of that. We have a few weeks of extreme heat in the summer (we got lucky. It only got to 115 this year. I have seen 128 (and i start working at death valley on tuesday. The hottest place on earth. Easily could be 135 there. Ugh. Anyway, the heat breaks when we start getting pretty much our only storms of the year. The leaf you are looking at cooked a few weeks ago and i pulled it to a darker part of the yard. But then got worried cause it looked like the plant wasn't getting enough sun. And about a week and a half ago (when it was 2 and a half weeks old) it developed a general deficit in everything condition. I am giving that plant a lot of fertilizer (x2) (as opposed to the half amount it should be using) something is going on with this plant, but i have no idea what.
(Oh, and the spot i moved it to shaded it from the sun from noon on. Or from 3 on at the other side. Tried them both. Just trying to understand this one. Also want to document what i am doing just in case something weird happens.

"Early approaches to mutagenesisrely on methods which are entirely random in the mutations produced. Cells or organisms may be exposed to mutagens such as UV radiation ormutagenic chemicals, and mutants with desired characteristics are then selected."

Now normally these processes are not available to us because of safety reasons. So i just had to grow it out once i figured it out. When i tried to grow the plants from these seeds just a month or two after they were exposed they all grew but right before they would get the second leaves the plants steam developed a line alont it from the base to the head and they just died. I went through 20 seeds before i just stopped. I just tried to germinate 60 of those seeds and all i got was one. Paper towel style. I don't like doing it because you can really damage the seed, but i wanted to see what was going on (i had just before tried 8 and nothing. Which confused me because i was always growing out those seeds one or two at a time (always means 3 or 4 times in this case.)
Damn that was a long winded post...lol
But Nevada huh? Ya Im sure that is not the greatest of climates for Mj..
I bet you prob have zero humidity on top of that high temp too..

Redgravemine

Redgravemine

Just about zero yes. It's usually 10 or below, but because everyone overwaters their lawns over here we might be around 15 or 20. The other day it rained and we got up to 60. But we get maybe 2 weeks worth of rain here a year. So mostly hot and dry.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Just about zero yes. It's usually 10 or below, but because everyone overwaters their lawns over here we might be around 15 or 20. The other day it rained and we got up to 60. But we get maybe 2 weeks worth of rain here a year. So mostly hot and dry.
Well good luck brother,,
and i know they got some farmers here that prob got some good advice for those conditions,,, esp GENETICS!

Redgravemine

Redgravemine

Well good luck brother,,
and i know they got some farmers here that prob got some good advice for those conditions,,, esp GENETICS!

You got me thinking and i remember one low tech solution. Put buckets of water around the plant and the heat evaporates the water and you have a small area of higher humidity around the plant. Thanks :) wouldn't have remembered otherwise

Strangeone

Strangeone

I live on the north west side also...

I also live on the north west side..

20170811 094716
Redgravemine

Redgravemine

Still kinda out there. Not used to waking up at 2 am yet.
I'd like to set it up like that (well, except for a few experiments that i want to run in higher uv levels, like this guy. And a really unworked strain that i should get in the mail any day. But I can't right now. (Ooo if this was a year ago (or hopefully a year from now) then i could do something like that. (Just recently sold the house, was on the se side near trop and nellis. If all my plans work out then maybe in like 6 months, too late to do him any good. (I am fairly sure it's been hermied since long before i planted it. And any other stress genes it may have as well. (The two i know are autoflower (if it's a stressor like i think it'll show), It's actually developed slight varigation and leaf mutation not consistent with the previous ideas. It has two leaves that, um, honestly I needed to let it grow out a tad before i figured it out. But anyway, in the, um, not top anymore but center.

Hey, are there any landrace weed species around here somewhere?

Strangeone

Strangeone

Still kinda out there. Not used to waking up at 2 am yet.
I'd like to set it up like that (well, except for a few experiments that i want to run in higher uv levels, like this guy. And a really unworked strain that i should get in the mail any day. But I can't right now. (Ooo if this was a year ago (or hopefully a year from now) then i could do something like that. (Just recently sold the house, was on the se side near trop and nellis. If all my plans work out then maybe in like 6 months, too late to do him any good. (I am fairly sure it's been hermied since long before i planted it. And any other stress genes it may have as well. (The two i know are autoflower (if it's a stressor like i think it'll show), It's actually developed slight varigation and leaf mutation not consistent with the previous ideas. It has two leaves that, um, honestly I needed to let it grow out a tad before i figured it out. But anyway, in the, um, not top anymore but center.

Hey, are there any landrace weed species around here somewhere?
Lol, I also just moved from the east side Sahara and Hollywood...but this set up I have is as simple as it gets, pretty low grade soil mixed in a little perlite...in 35 gallon pots..fed them Jack's 20-20-20 All through veg and now they're on Jack's bloom booster 10-30-20 And I foliar feed on my off days Alaska fish fertilizer 5-1-1 and I too remember the 115° days, they were rough!! I had to give my plant's 3 gallons of water each on those days, had a little leaf tacoing on one of my plant's but went away pretty quick after the weather cooled, well I hope some of this helps you for next season it's a very simple method...

Redgravemine

Redgravemine

Lol, I also just moved from the east side Sahara and Hollywood...but this set up I have is as simple as it gets, pretty low grade soil mixed in a little perlite...in 35 gallon pots..fed them Jack's 20-20-20 All through veg and now they're on Jack's bloom booster 10-30-20 And I foliar feed on my off days Alaska fish fertilizer 5-1-1 and I too remember the 115° days, they were rough!! I had to give my plant's 3 gallons of water each on those days, had a little leaf tacoing on one of my plant's but went away pretty quick after the weather cooled, well I hope some of this helps you for next season it's a very simple method...
Lol, I also just moved from the east side Sahara and Hollywood...but this set up I have is as simple as it gets, pretty low grade soil mixed in a little perlite...in 35 gallon pots..fed them Jack's 20-20-20 All through veg and now they're on Jack's bloom booster 10-30-20 And I folIeed on my off days Alaska fish fertilizer 5-1-1 and I too remember the 115° days, they were rough!! I had to give my plant's 3 gallons of water each on those days, had a little leaf tacoing on one of my plant's but went away pretty quick after the weather cooled, well I hope some of this helps you for next season it's a very simple method...
I bet the racing kept you up.

That is good. Gonna incorporate my water bucket idea into that. That should make everything work out. I've been growing hot peppers in the dead of summer. Of course they are the opposite of weed, stress the hot peppers and they get hotter. Sigh, i never got them all that hot. Anyway to keep them alive I used a mister and misted the leaves as well as watered. Weed likes that, drinks the water pretty fast through it's leaves, but if you leave too much it'll cook the leaves (part of what happened to those leaves)

The fire hemp isn't having these problems. It's just doing what it does. I'll throw some pictures of her up. (High cbd)

Strangeone

Strangeone

I bet the racing kept you up.

That is good. Gonna incorporate my water bucket idea into that. That should make everything work out. I've been growing hot peppers in the dead of summer. Of course they are the opposite of weed, stress the hot peppers and they get hotter. Sigh, i never got them all that hot. Anyway to keep them alive I used a mister and misted the leaves as well as watered. Weed likes that, drinks the water pretty fast through it's leaves, but if you leave too much it'll cook the leaves (part of what happened to those leaves)

The fire hemp isn't having these problems. It's just doing what it does. I'll throw some pictures of her up. (High cbd)
When did you plant yours?

Redgravemine

Redgravemine

When did you plant yours?
Way too late. That one went into the ground july 10 or 14. The fire hemp wasn't here for another 2 weeks or so which is why it's lagging behind. And the ruderalis hasn't shown up yet but that's ok, it's an autoflower from poland so it should be ok. Besides, to make that one higher thc might have to let a few of their leaves cook (not really, but without stress there is no change)
Um, I'll just wait to post til i take a few pictures.
It's a little late in the season but i got the second fire hemp package and these seeds smell different. More earthy. So i chose three and went ahead and planted them. It was also sent at the same time, took the same plane to the us. Weird.
Anyway it's really too late to expect much from these but might as well see what i have.

Oh, before and after watering.
Not sure if you can tell, but the invasive pest species didn't like going that long without water.
No idea what the stick is about.

20170814 125019
20170814 125027
20170814 125201
20170814 125849
20170814 125925
20170814 125949
Strangeone

Strangeone

Way too late. That one went into the ground july 10 or 14. The fire hemp wasn't here for another 2 weeks or so which is why it's lagging behind. And the ruderalis hasn't shown up yet but that's ok, it's an autoflower from poland so it should be ok. Besides, to make that one higher thc might have to let a few of their leaves cook (not really, but without stress there is no change)
Um, I'll just wait to post til i take a few pictures.
It's a little late in the season but i got the second fire hemp package and these seeds smell different. More earthy. So i chose three and went ahead and planted them. It was also sent at the same time, took the same plane to the us. Weird.
Anyway it's really too late to expect much from these but might as well see what i have.

Oh, before and after watering.
Not sure if you can tell, but the invasive pest species didn't like going that long without water.
No idea what the stick is about.
Yeah they were planted a little late to expect anything really,but sounds like you have a good start for next season.

Redgravemine

Redgravemine

Excellent start. Worst case i know what i have and how it grows, best case, i get some seeds and enough to tell what the plants like.

Redgravemine

Redgravemine

Strangeone, i've noticed alot of locusts around my plants. Do i need to worry about them munching on my plants?

(The fire hemp is supposed to do that. That part glows right before dawn. I'll post pics of that sooner or later)

20170822 181334
20170822 181407
20170821 192305
20170821 191722
20170821 191742

Latest posts

Top Bottom