kinda confused, need advice?

• Thread starter gliders420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
gliders420

gliders420

Hey guys, i wasn't sure where to post this, but whats a reliable and easy way to grow?

Im having an issue understanding here, because i think every method and medium has its issues, drawbacks, and definite benefits, and albeit work that goes with them...

Ive tried a few different things in my time growing, which isn't too long, but I've managed to pull of a few crops over the years using dirt, indoor and out door, and dwc buckets. Ive baby sat a friends grow, who was doing ebb and flow and actually made one of the most bad ass tray of cuts I've seen in person to date! Ive played around a bit with bio buckets in my garden now, and a little bit of coco.

Bio buckets was a dream system for me, i was under the impression it was almost plug and play, with some top offs here and there, yet it hasn't been anything like that for me, in fact its been super difficult to do anything! leaks, pump failure, over fert from the tap i was told to use, stunt from over water (i wasn't sure that was possible but someone is certain it happened), root rot(! using heisenbergs tea!) the system is really loud! and have yet to actually finish a flower due to all these issues.

i was anti soil due to it being dirt in my house, i felt the water was just better, no bugs or spores or anything crazy being brought from outside. but I'm open to the idea of coco, or even going full blown organic with something like sub cools super soil, but that seems like it has its issues as well... also flushing seems like a hugeee Bi*** so I'm hoping theres and easy way...like trays or something that control the flow of the drain.

I read all kinds of things about how wonderful rdwc is but i can't get it. I'm curious if its my climate/ geographic region? or some other sort of user error

But ideally I'm looking for a system that grows itself, with minimal work, and perpetual, at this point I'm believing it could be ebb and grow...? as I've seen good things, and like the fact that its not dwc, and still hydro... i get to keep the pumps i paid for and still use the feed lines/rez i built. or should i not be so attached to a few items and re work it? its tough as i don't want to quit if i could be so close to success with the bio buckets.

any one have any advice as to what i should go for? and/or willing to answer questions as i go along? it would be much appreciated as I'm having quite the difficult time growing, Murphy's law has been in full effect :/

im bordering between still going bio(like 10%) going simple hydro ebb and flow: one or two really large plants per bulb(45%) or coco or organic dirt around a bare vertical bulb with like 4 -5 plants per.... bringing a new one in each week or so making perpetual.... which sounds exiting as i could have any many strains at once, but I'm scared yield could be an issue. ii like the idea of trees, but am open to doing lots of cuts in trays if it effect...

I have two 600 cool tubes, a 400 watt cool tube, and i think space on the breaker for one more light :p i also have a 15000 or 1800 but a/c and am struggling to keep it warm atm =D but with tine adjustments of the inline fan i can make it much warmer so i basically have full weather control >=J oh in a 10X 12 bedroom

edit: i guess this cold have been in grow room design my bad

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

you want coco hempy buckets and you want to feed KISS style, ...i've been at this hobby for close to 8 years now and like you i tried several styles before settling on coco hempy buckets, KISS and barebulb vertical, now my op practically runs itself, ...i spend about 15 minutes a day watering the bloom room and about twice a week i spend an hour tending the veg side of things, the rest of the time is mine, lol.

...here's a couple shots of my early hempys when i was first trying it out and at that time i was using 2 and 3liter soda bottles as 'pots', ...it didn't take me long to fall in love with the simplicity and the reliably awesome results.

105 0009

105 0001

105 0005bbbb

105 0004

Aaa

...like i said, this was a transitional stage for me and now i use larger pots but this was where i learned how elegantly simple this method really is. ...it you try it, you won't go back.

peace, bozo

gliders420

gliders420

lol!
Im not all that surprised you posted, as I've been thinking of your op the whole time... funny how that turned out... i didn't know you had an account here too!

but those are early shots?! like your first couple runs? looks pretty legit and I'm assuming that your doing even better now??

how long have you been at this style? I'm assuming the folgers can is for catching the run off...?

what issues have you had running things this way? IT looks like the nugs are solid to the bottom, no larf...is that correct?

in my icmag post you said you pull 6-8 ounces was that per crop or per plant?

what size pots do you use now? is transplant important in a setup like that? sorry for all the questions

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

lol!
Im not all that surprised you posted, as I've been thinking of your op the whole time... funny how that turned out... i didn't know you had an account here too!
...yeah man, i've actually had an account here since early 2009 i think but i did most of my work at the rag, ...i walked away from there because of the censorship, i'm near 60 now and i don't like someone telling me what i can or cannot say and if i say something that paints me the asshole i should be forced to stand behind my words and let people see me being the fool for all time, maybe then i'll be more careful what i type.

...better that than quiet deletions or bullshit bannings i say.

but those are early shots?! like your first couple runs? looks pretty legit and I'm assuming that your doing even better now??
and yeah, those were my first try's with the hempy tech and yeah, i'm doing better now, lol.

how long have you been at this style? I'm assuming the folgers can is for catching the run off...?
i've been doing the hempy thing for almost 3 years now i guess, i run perpetual so i've run more plants than is typical, ...before i started the hempy's i ran a high-density micro-SOG with 55x 1liter 'pots' of organic soil and where i pulled 10 every 2 weeks, here's a shot of a few of the pots.

CDxLT A   D 7 25 09 01

and the cab.

DSCI1673

DSCI1456

what issues have you had running things this way? IT looks like the nugs are solid to the bottom, no larf...is that correct?
...yeah, you'll get some larf lower down, i'm only running a single 600, if i had the power capacity i'd be running stacked 600's or even a 600 over a 400, either way you'd up your yields considerably and you wouldn't get larf then.

...you're never gonna get it perfect bro so all you can do is make this current grow only important as a learning experience, practice for the NEXT grow, that way, so long as you learn something, you win, even if the grow shits the bed entirely, so long as you learned something it was a success.

...and with hempy's there is almost NO chance it'd shit the bed entirely.

in my icmag post you said you pull 6-8 ounces was that per crop or per plant?
and that's 6 to 8 zipz a month, say 12 to 16 per harvest (i run a 9 week cycle)

what size pots do you use now? is transplant important in a setup like that? sorry for all the questions
...i use 6liter trashcans i picked up at the local Dollar store along with some cheap ass locker bins as runoff trays which btw, yeah, the Folgers cans are to catch runoff.

DSCI0195

DSCI0196

DSCI0389

peace, bozo

gliders420

gliders420

well i just started to flip the current grow, so I'm preparing for next round, I've popped two seeds to start and have already put them in coco so i might as well keep it there...

about a year and a half ago when i started growing i was mimicking dr.greengenes (i think thats his name) which is how you were doing with the water bottles, i wasn't doing KISS then so i was mixing up 8 different cycles of nutes...>_<
i have a fuck ton of five gallon buckets that i have from making the bio buckets, it shouldn't be to difficult to hempy in them should it? i wanna put one in the other to catch the run off or no..? does the run off tray need to be bigger? or is that too big?

and you didn't mention transplant, I'm assuming you don't?

and I'm totally confused i thought perlite(or vermiculite whatever it was) was used to do hempy? so aren't you just doing coco? why is it considered hempy? can i "hempy" in my fabric pots?

also hows about your veg? you have a separate veg spot? I'm trying to figure out how i time the flip, and if i do vert bulb for veg... or i can horizontal bulb... I'm using a 2 x 4 in my bedroom as a veg spot now, waiting for space to open up in the flower room lol but i feel that could be too small for veg to do every thing unless every plant is from seed (which I'm considering, i haven't been able to clone shit in about a year and i also have to figure out space) i have a 4 x 4 tent too

gliders420

gliders420

and you tell me to do kiss but in another thread you mention that you use jacks pro hydro... is this a do as i say not as i do deal?

thats cool with me as I'm having issues but definitely something interesting i noticed

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

well i just started to flip the current grow, so I'm preparing for next round, I've popped two seeds to start and have already put them in coco so i might as well keep it there...

about a year and a half ago when i started growing i was mimicking dr.greengenes (i think thats his name) which is how you were doing with the water bottles, i wasn't doing KISS then so i was mixing up 8 different cycles of nutes...>_<
i have a fuck ton of five gallon buckets that i have from making the bio buckets, it shouldn't be to difficult to hempy in them should it? i wanna put one in the other to catch the run off or no..? does the run off tray need to be bigger? or is that too big?

and you didn't mention transplant, I'm assuming you don't?

and I'm totally confused i thought perlite(or vermiculite whatever it was) was used to do hempy? so aren't you just doing coco? why is it considered hempy? can i "hempy" in my fabric pots?

also hows about your veg? you have a separate veg spot? I'm trying to figure out how i time the flip, and if i do vert bulb for veg... or i can horizontal bulb... I'm using a 2 x 4 in my bedroom as a veg spot now, waiting for space to open up in the flower room lol but i feel that could be too small for veg to do every thing unless every plant is from seed (which I'm considering, i haven't been able to clone shit in about a year and i also have to figure out space) i have a 4 x 4 tent too
...yeah, that's DrBudGreenGenes and he is a true master but replicating his work isn't nearly as easy as it looks, i struggled for quite a while before i decided to go bigger.

...and i wouldn't use the 5gallon buckets because they are too big, 2 or 3 gallons max is all you need and no, you can't hempy with a fabric pot, to do a hempy you need a watertight container to start, then you measure up the side about 2 inch's and drill a hole for drainage and that's the only drainage hole, what you're doing is creating a mini reservoir at the bottom of the 'pot' and for a 2 or 3 gallon pot you want the hole about 2 inch's up.

now, the original hempy's were filled, top to bottom, with a vermiculite/perlite mix and that still works fine but coco just works better, even the original 'hempy', the guy who introduced the tech, upgraded to coco.

anyway, to make it work you need to fill the bottom 2 inch's with something other than coco, perlite works but it's messy so i prefer hydroton as in the pictures above or grorocks although lavarock or even 3/4 inch gravel will work, then you fill the top section with coco and pot into it almost like it was dirt, it really is very easy to work with and what that does essentially is to give you a mini reservoir that is replenished each time you water and the oxygen in the rootzone is also replenished.

...and as far as transplanting goes, i take my cuts, root them in 9oz solo cups of coco and, once rooted, i pot them up into their final, 6liter hempy's, i don't even repot my revegged plants, i just reveg them and reflip them and this is something else i learned from the good DrBudGreenGenes.

and you tell me to do kiss but in another thread you mention that you use jacks pro hydro... is this a do as i say not as i do deal?

thats cool with me as I'm having issues but definitely something interesting i noticed

...and i think you're misunderstanding the meaning of KISS which simply means Keep It Simple Stoner and is used in this context to mean any 1 part or 2 part nutrient line, the Lucas formula for is considered KISS for example, ...on the rag the KISS thread discusses the use of MaxiBloom as a single nutrient that is fed to ALL plants from seedling/rooted clone right through harvest and that's how i started KISS, ...i switched to Jack's Pro because it is superior and more economical, 25lbs of the base and 25lbs of the calcium nitrate delivered to your door for approx. $115.00, my last order was just under that but your shipping might be different, either way it is very reasonable and those 2 bags will last you at least a couple of years, easy.

peace, bozo

gliders420

gliders420

ok now i understand, the hydrotron is the trick in there.

Im so heavily invested in so much shit i think ill start with just the maxi bloom, and down the road ill use my bloom boosters i already to note differences.

can you show me dry nug shots? especially of reveged plants? and full flower shots of these revered plants? thats been something of interest for me as i would assume it severely diminishes quality... can you still please enlighten me more on the subject of your veg?
i read your using two flower rooms, both about 4x4, how big is your veg room, or do you have a link where i can see this stuff?

its really interesting i could more than likely emulate what your doing exactly with shit i already have around the house if i wanted!

i have 2 4x4 tents.... but i have a 10x12 room so i elected to try and use all the space ;D considering what I'm trying I've been thinking of bringing the tents into the room, so i have three little "micro-climates" all in one little area, but i start getting confused on how ill pump co2 and ventilate properly.... i have a co2 generator i haven't even gotten to use lol i can't think of how to use that and have it properly affect all three tents...

how many plants are you fitting around the one 600? and they all come out like those crazy pics you showed?

gliders420

gliders420

Well, I've decided to go with a similar set up to yours bozo.

Wht I'm trying to wrap my head around is the veg side. I can easily throw a 4x4 tent and have a mom, cloning station, and veg spot.
now the placement of that is where I'm confused. I'm torn between using 3, 4x4 tents ,or just one.

I run a sealed room, and i bring all hot air to my window a/c with an inline fan. normally i run cool tubes, so i can easily direct the direction the heat goes. With great success i can get temps down to 63 if i wanted with the proper tweaking of where the fan is placed.

but if i were to do bare bulbs,2 600w hps and have a fan pointing upwards, the hot air would blow to a ceiling fan, then dispersing it around the room? keeping things relatively cool? also hopefully giving my plants room to grow and have adequate airflow being completely unrestricted from a small tent.

while i would have a 4x4 tent for veg on the other side of the room, angled to pull the hot air from that side to the a/c keeping things even cooler...?

inside the tent is a similar set up (vert bare bulb, fan pointing vert) with the only other circulation being the ducting; pulling air into and out of the tent to the other side of the room.

or:
I could have three tents, bare vert bulbs, connected by ducting, with one can fan. i could once again direct the flow of heat, while also being able to ad fencing around the tent for support. i fear the third tent in the duct could suffer from to high rh and to high of temps as its last in the line, but that might not be an issue because of my window a/c

I like both ideas, i can get to the plants and move around better if i don't use all the tents, but i feel i can manage climate better if i do. all in all i have no idea, because i am both asking questions and putting the thoughts together a little more clearly for myself, and I'm trying to avoid some hassle of purchasing certain items/working and getting it all set up to have to change it.

Also, if any one could suggest whether or not i should buy a net vert fixture for veg or just use my cool tube vert/horiz? I've read people claim both that you should veg vert if you flower vert, and that it doesn't matter to flower horiz and flower vert.

I kinda like the idea of flower and veg vert obviously but I'm open to opinions from people with experience.

any advice from anyone would be great. thanks guys.

gliders420

gliders420

Am i over thinking things?

The only opinion i can gather from a close friend is that the tents seem like a wast of space if i have a full bedroom... which i totally understand, but on the other hand he doesn't know a lot about growing really...

Latest posts

Top Bottom