King Plus 1500w Rebuild

• Thread starter threatco
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
threatco

threatco

Hello all,

I have 2x King Plus 1500w LED grow lights. One with Veg/Flower switches, and an older model with only a single switch.

When the single-switch one had an issue, I was sent a replacement LED panel. This included all 150 10w Epistar dual-chip LED's on a heat sink with the 4 wire connectors on the corners.

Turned out this was not the issue. It was one of the four power supplies. At this point, King Plus refused to send me any more parts on warranty so I was on my own.

I ordered 5 identical power supplies from the same Chinese manufacturer. One to replace my broken one, and the others as backups since except for shipping they were very cheap.

Now I have a perfectly good extra LED board and 4 good power supplies. I have plenty of suitable power cords. I also have located almost the same LED driver I can order from China.

My goal is to put together these parts into a safe and operable new light fixture.

Below is a picture of a working one opened up.

Thumbnail

I need to acquire a power inlet and on/off switch. Fans. Wiring. And a case or hanging solution.

My key questions as of right now are these;

Should this replacement driver work the same as the original? Both pictured below.
thumbnail (1).jpg

HTB1AV.8d_nI8KJjSszbq6z4KFXaT.jpg

What can I use for a power inlet? Would something like this be suitable?
H1c1f27b1e22543d58e57f4cc7fdd4126f.jpg

Would any 3x static pressure fans of the correct size be suitable?

How should all of this be wired together? Except for the obvious clip-on connectors, I am not sure exactly how the power inlet/switch connects to the drivers/power supply/fans. Any tips about this would be super valuable.

And lastly about the case. Is it really needed or can I just rig this up to hang like a quantum board? Sure it may be ugly seeing all those wires etc... But it's going to be operated in a well-controlled environment. So nothing should ever be touching it. Or is it realistic to source a suitable "case" to put this in?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide! If there are any existing guides/posts covering this core content I would also be happy for links as well.

Last edited:
threatco

threatco

This is the LED board and power supplies that I am hoping to get up and running.

20200506 200513
20200506 200542

20200506 201109

Open to any thoughts or opinions.

threatco

threatco

✋✋👩‍🚒 **WARNING** Do not try at home. I won't be held responsible if you hurt your self or burn your place down making your own light👨‍🚒✋✋

I fucking did it. 🤓

Realizing I was not going to be spoon-fed a how-to, I took down my light to inspect the wiring more closely.

My big breakthrough came when I realized the 5th driver I was asking about was ONLY connected to the fans.

This changed everything!

Essentially the wiring was super simple.

Every little black wire twisted together and connected to the blue wire in the power cable.
Every little red wire twisted together and connected to the brown wire in the power cable.

Now that I realized that there was not some kind of more complicated wiring sequence going on, I decided to plow ahead and make this happen.

I was going to order a 12$ power inlet and switch so I wouldn't have to cut open a power cord.

I was going to order a 10$ pack of 2-Way JST connectors, so I wouldn't have to cut off the ends from my backup power supplies.

I was going to order a 13$ led light hanging kit.

But then I said fuck it. I can Macgyver this.

Here is step 1 - Frankenstein the original light

I took off the bottom half of my existing light.

I zip tie my replacement LED panel to the bottom of my existing light fixture.

Plug it in and it's good to go. Easy

Tie them together and you get;

20200508 011247

Here is step 2 - Build a light fixture.

Now I have the bottom half of my original light. Basically just half a case with a board screwed on. My main challenge was to take this and the 4 power supplies I have and make it into a safe and usable light fixture.

Project baseline

For this task, I decided to use an old Alaskan license plate I had kicking around.

I drilled a hole in the middle for the power cords to go through.

I then drilled 8 little holes I could use to secure the power supplies in place. I went with double twist tie wires.

I cut the JST connectors off the inlet wire ends and sent them all through the middle hole.

Alaska 1500w bottom

Here is step 3 - Add a switch to it.

At this point, I am starting to realize I pretty much have it.

I could just wire the power cord directly to the black and red wires and be done with it.

But I want to take it 1 step further.

I have an old lamp switch kicking around from when I used it to help flash an Xbox 360s optical drive.

It has 2 plastic nubs on the bottom, so I drill a hole of the same size and jam it in there. To my satisfaction, it sits super snugly and does not seem to be going anywhere.

I want to use this as an on/off switch for the fixture.

Alaska 1500w top

I take all the black wires, twist them together, and twist them right onto the blue wire from the power cable, and tape it up.

I screw the end of brown power cord wire to 1 side of the light switch, and I screw the twisted together ends of the red wires to the other side of the light switch.

I also use a computer case screw to secure the ground wire to the license plate.

Switch hot line from wall
Switch hot line to drivers

Here is step 4 - Give it a fan.

Next, I harvest a 12v D-Link power cord to connect to a CPU heatsink fan. I am keeping it separate from the fixture. It basically just sits in there unsecured. I am keeping that plastic clamp thing on it to keep it an inch above the light board, the air is blowing down onto the board quite strongly. I will monitor board temps with a temperature gun and compare it to the other fans to determine if I need to wire on another fan or 2. The tent fan is constantly blowing on it anyways so we will see. The power supplies can kind of rest on top of it when it's not hanging.

CPU fan wired to 12v dlink
Alaska 1500w seated side

Here is step 5 - Hang it up.

I was not sure how I wanted the connect the case to the license plate. My zip ties were not long enough. My main concern is structural and not appearance.

I decided to go with some wire rope used for hanging paintings. It's not super pretty but it's strong, and I figure that extends the ground from the license plate to the case frame. I will probably redo it once I get the chance to do a little shopping, but it will do for now.

I use a plastic clamp to hold the power cable to the license plate, preventing accidental tugs on the connections.

I then use some chain hangers with hooks to hang the light from the pole in my tent.

Alaska 1500w complete

Harvested 1500w Alaska 1500w and King Plus 1500w
Trifecta below

And that's it. I had 2 lights. I got a warranty replacement LED board I didn't need. I spent 30$ on some Chinese power supplies. Reused some junk I had laying around. And now I have 3 lights. Feeling pretty good about it.

Still open to any thoughts ideas or suggestions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom