L.A.B with powdered milk?...Help...

• Thread starter Zerberus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Zerberus

Zerberus

Ok so i have looked everywhere and can't find specific instructions on how to make L.A.B with powdered milk, i have tried making two batches, both stored in the same place same amount of time given, same ratio of water/powdermilk, i did follow the instructions as if it was being made with regular milk though... The only step i altered was the milk i used... After 5 day rice wash fermentation, and then 5 days with the milk, in the 1/10 ratio this is what my L.A.B looks like....

I have no idea what is inside these things right now, it sure doesn't look like the L.A.B videos i have watched, but anyway I'm looking for some insight, and maybe some guidance into how to make it correctly with powdered milk. There is no access to regular milk where i am. I would have to drive 4+ hours to just get regular milk. So that's out of the question.

Please help.
Lab with powdered milkhelp

S

Stonemason7767

Mabey you won't get much curd out of powder milk.the one on left looks like it went to long.5 days is along time for the rice wash water in a warm inviroment. As soon as it starts to smell sweet dump into the milk might be as short as two days.dont dump in the sediment from rice wash water.looks like white flakes.as soon as curds separate its done.that step proubly won't take five days either. Your nose knows if it smells nice and sweet I would filter and use it. There are a few recipes to culture with no milk I will see if I can dig them up for you.

Zerberus

Zerberus

It dosnt like direct sun light.
I know i had them both in a dark cabinet around 70-75 degrees, and yeah I think i left it too long, i will throw out the left one with that weird crust and keep the clean sweet smelling one on the left, but i will attempt to make another batch today, I'll just follow up on it daily and smell it to know when to mix in the milk.

S

Stonemason7767

Can you get on you tube.here is a guy on there that makes it without milk.it has a few other beneficial bacteria and yeast in it not a pure culture but it works for him mabey give it a try.i have always made it the way you are minus the powdered milk.there is away to make it with beans too.im having trouble finding that recipe.

Screenshot 20230405 145629 YouTube
Top Bottom