Lack of dryback in coco/perlite

• Thread starter thisisfun661
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

thisisfun661

First grow - 70/30 coco perlite - 4 gal fabric pot
N.Lights from seed - day 60 of veg (more on this later)
Temp 73-75F RH 65% VPD just below 1
In the picture old growth looks much lighter green than it is - not sure why iPhone does this.
23000 lux @ 36” SP3000 LED

I’ve been having issues with this pot drying back and I’m wondering if it’s because of the salt/algae on the outside?

I’m feeding 1qt 1X daily (@1500 EC) GH nutes w/5ml p/gal CalMag 6 hours into 18/6 lights on. It just started with these dryback issues where the coco is consistently damp. Plant looks good and is growing ok, but I’m sort of afraid to water because the coco isn’t drying back. When I do feed I’m only getting a 1/2 pt (25%) runoff at 850 EC. PH in 5.8/out 7.0 (I’ve heard because I’m not feeding often enough)

I’ve let it veg this long because I have a second plant running that I started later and I’m trying to get it at least to the point where I can flip it to flower too. That said I’m a little concerned about this guys height when I flip?

Lack of dryback in cocoperlite

B

BillyBanchan

I'm using 70/30 coco (I added more perlite, so 60/40-ish) as well and after presoaking my fabric pots I noticed they didn't really dry back. And while it feels moist, it's definitely not wet.

Interested to see what others have to say!

T

thisisfun661

I'm using 70/30 coco (I added more perlite, so 60/40-ish) as well and after presoaking my fabric pots I noticed they didn't really dry back. And while it feels moist, it's definitely not wet.

Interested to see what others have to say!

I prebuffered the coco too - but it was a while ago at this point (2 mos)

It didn’t ever dry out entirely, but recently it’s stayed more compressed and damp for longer than it was before. Before it would be less damp and looser after 24 hours.

T

thisisfun661

You might want to search……. How to water Coco for best results.
Thanks for the response - These are the general rules of thumb I’m following - 4 gal pot - 1 qt 1x per day, ~20%-25% runoff.

The soil is pretty damp and compacted 24 hours after feeding (this is a recent change) but this is telling me I should be still watering 1 qt daily. Plant looks good, but don’t want to risk overwatering.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Just thought that thread might help with your understanding of growing in coco. I don’t grow in it. Maybe some cocoa growers will chime in about the build up on the pots. Don’t know if it signifies anything or not. Plants look OK. Good luck!

B

BillyBanchan

Thanks for the response - These are the general rules of thumb I’m following - 4 gal pot - 1 qt 1x per day, ~20%-25% runoff.

The soil is pretty damp and compacted 24 hours after feeding (this is a recent change) but this is telling me I should be still watering 1 qt daily. Plant looks good, but don’t want to risk overwatering.

Is your coco pre-made? If so, what brand?

In my research, I've read that larger pots need more perlite in the mix. 4 gal pots need 60/40, and 5 gal or more 50/50 even. I went for a 60/40 by adding more (5 gal pots that look more like 4 gal, but are square). I'm using Mother Earth coco/perlite, btw. Expensive but sexy AF.

20 mins after flooding (ebb and flow system), it is still very moist, but loose and fluffy. In fact, my little ones stalled out I believe (a gut feeling got me off my ass and evaluating 😂) because I fell into the "water it like soil" trap. Oh, and I forgot to lower the pH of the presoak water. 🤬

Like2Grow

Like2Grow

I’ve been having issues with this pot drying back and I’m wondering if it’s because of the salt/algae on the outside?
I’ve let it veg this long because I have a second plant running that I started later and I’m trying to get it at least to the point where I can flip it to flower too. That said I’m a little concerned about this guys height when I flip?

The amount of salt/algae on the outside suggests your water might be hard. I grow in coco with autopots watering at night and the plants drying out through the day. They never get dry and it isn't a problem. The plants are Himilayan Blue Hash from Lucky13 and are going to flower or proving their maleness soon. (regular seed)

As for pictures not being their true color look up White Balance.

DSC07764a

T

thisisfun661

Is your coco pre-made? If so, what brand?

In my research, I've read that larger pots need more perlite in the mix. 4 gal pots need 60/40, and 5 gal or more 50/50 even. I went for a 60/40 by adding more (5 gal pots that look more like 4 gal, but are square). I'm using Mother Earth coco/perlite, btw. Expensive but sexy AF.

20 mins after flooding (ebb and flow system), it is still very moist, but loose and fluffy. In fact, my little ones stalled out I believe (a gut feeling got me off my ass and evaluating 😂) because I fell into the "water it like soil" trap. Oh, and I forgot to lower the pH of the presoak water. 🤬
I’m hand watering - it’s a dehydrated brick I rehydrated and rinsed the peat out of and
then double buffered with 1.5x dose of CalMag.

I can’t dig down in the coco without hitting roots, and it’s pretty tight - hence my concern. I’m pH’ing the nuts mix and checking each time I feed to watch for drift

T

thisisfun661

As far as hard water - maybe? I’m running bottled drinking water from Walmart and the starting EC is ~200 I’m wondering if the salt buildup is a combination of the time I’ve been begging and the fact that I make sure to water around the edge as much as the center to ensure I don’t get any hot spots

Latest posts

Top Bottom