Lactic Acid Bacteria/ Fermented grain

• Thread starter ezenzyme
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ezenzyme

ezenzyme

Yo yo yo! I know some folks on here talk about lactic acid and have heard a few different ways of culturing your own....Well i am doing seed sprouted teas this year, and have found a rather expensive option from our local health foods store. Its organic sprouting barley un hulled, and in that packaging came a note on fermenting your feed.
Fermenting is the process of using naturally occurring lactic acid bacteria to enhance the digestibility and nutrition of a food source – both for humans and for animals. In our case, the process involves adding 3 parts water to one part feed and letting it sit for three days. As the bacteria reproduce in the anaerobic environment, they pre-digest some of the grains, turning the complex compounds into simple compounds. The soaking in water breaks the dormancy of the whole grains, making them not only softer and easier for the animals to digest but also starts to change the enzyme inhibitors that protect seeds. When the whole grains reach the gizzard, the softened shells are easier to pulverize into small pieces that are easier to digest. Plus, the expanded population of bacteria in the feed is a source of vitamins and protein as well – exactly like the probiotic cultures found in Greek yogurt.
What do yall think? how about a nice anaerobic smoothie?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Anaerobic... no, but I have used malted barley that I have for beer making extensively. Not even sure when or why I stopped?
I would make a thick mash and convert the starches into sugars and add that directly to my resivoir. Provides a pile of activated enzymes and maltose. I'd also sprinkle the ground malt flour on the top of the promix too. It was good stuff.

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

Yeah yeah, coot talks about it a bunch and i have used malted barley tea, topdressing and in soil mixes. Uhhh resivoir? Inside? DWC? its interesting stuff. doesnt malted barley have a lot of it converted already? If you eat malted barley its sweet. Same smell i get from my SST, if you let the sprouts go to long they eat most of that and just smell like water... i know that people talk about LAB. Royal queen seeds talks about its benefits and there are even a few older threads on here talking about doing milk cultures

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

Anaerobic... no, but I have used malted barley that I have for beer making extensively. Not even sure when or why I stopped?
I would make a thick mash and convert the starches into sugars and add that directly to my resivoir. Provides a pile of activated enzymes and maltose. I'd also sprinkle the ground malt flour on the top of the promix too. It was good stuff.
would lactic acid bacteria cultivated on rice starch sustain life in an hydroponic system? or am i looking at the wrong strain?would they be fed sugars throughout the grow, obviously, idk?and lastly wont these sugars and dead bacterial matter clog pipes pumps etc?thanks, if these questions seem dumb it is because i am new at both bacteriology and hydro

Last edited:
S

Stonemason7767

Yo yo yo! I know some folks on here talk about lactic acid and have heard a few different ways of culturing your own....Well i am doing seed sprouted teas this year, and have found a rather expensive option from our local health foods store. Its organic sprouting barley un hulled, and in that packaging came a note on fermenting your feed.
Fermenting is the process of using naturally occurring lactic acid bacteria to enhance the digestibility and nutrition of a food source – both for humans and for animals. In our case, the process involves adding 3 parts water to one part feed and letting it sit for three days. As the bacteria reproduce in the anaerobic environment, they pre-digest some of the grains, turning the complex compounds into simple compounds. The soaking in water breaks the dormancy of the whole grains, making them not only softer and easier for the animals to digest but also starts to change the enzyme inhibitors that protect seeds. When the whole grains reach the gizzard, the softened shells are easier to pulverize into small pieces that are easier to digest. Plus, the expanded population of bacteria in the feed is a source of vitamins and protein as well – exactly like the probiotic cultures found in Greek yogurt.
What do yall think? how about a nice anaerobic smoothie?
Had some in my smoothie a few hours ago.i culture it in rice water /milk. My buddy ferments his chicken feed and goat feed pig feed cow feed with it.its on a two day cycle.so he ferments 2 days before it gets fed.

Peat_Phreak

Peat_Phreak

would lactic acid bacteria cultivated on rice starch sustain life in an hydroponic system? or am i looking at the wrong strain

When you get LAB from rice or barley or something like it, you get more than just lacto. You get also get a mix of wild yeast and bacteria that isn't lacto.

If you really want to use lacto, I suggest using pure lacto. The other issue is there are hundreds of strains of lacto and most of them don't work well at room temperature. They need 85F-105F to work well. One exception is lactobacillus plantarum. It works well at room temperature. I use it to make sour beer.

I haven't used it for weed yet. But might use it next time.

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

When you get LAB from rice or barley or something like it, you get more than just lacto. You get also get a mix of wild yeast and bacteria that isn't lacto.
wasnt aware im very new at this.
If you really want to use lacto, I suggest using pure lacto.
is there a method on not aware of to increase the population of lab in the suspension to the point of replacing all other strains? or a way to kill of any non beneficials entirely
The other issue is there are hundreds of strains of lacto and most of them don't work well at room temperature. They need 85F-105F to work well.
i have been keeping the suspension under close proximity to an hps bulb providing 90f consistently.
One exception is lactobacillus plantarum. It works well at room temperature. I use it to make sour beer.
interesting, do you cultivate it yourself?

Last edited:
Peat_Phreak

Peat_Phreak

is there a method on not aware of to increase the population of lab in the suspension to the point of replacing all other strains? or a way to kill of any non beneficials entirely

Yes, if you are a micro biologist or a very determined hobbyist. But it's a lot easier to just buy pure lacto and cultivate it yourself.

Step one. Acquire lacto pills on Amazon. Then make a 1.2L starter with 120g of Dry Malt Extract and 1/2 tsp of yeast nutrient. Let it ferment for 3-4 days. Ideal fermentation temperature depends on the type of lacto strain. Most will work fine at 90F.

If your media temperature runs cool, keep in mind many lacto strains struggle below 75F. Except for the Lactobacillus Plantarum that I previously mentioned. Beware that LP might work too well in terms of creating acid for gardening. I won't know until I try it for gardening.

It makes beer with a 3.0-3.5pH.

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

keep in mind many lacto strains struggle below 75F
well there goes the idea of using lacto strains. i'm set on running the temps in the res at 75f or even slightly less to promote expression of anthocyanins in the varietal.

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

That's why I'm suggesting Lactobacillus Plantarum. It works at room temperature.
understood, my lab has been under direct light at 90f. i just added the lab to 10parts milk. it now looks like only milk. do i leave it sealed or breathing, do i keep them under low light or darkness. id really like to make a usually culture for my soil grow

Peat_Phreak

Peat_Phreak

Generally, sealing it with a bubbler airlock is what people do. You probably don't have that. So I'd put a lid on, but don't seal it tight. It could explode. Darkness is preferred.

When it's done fermenting, it will last about 60 days stored in the fridge. This site has a ton of info about lacto starters. It's written for beer, but it has plenty of relevant info for this topic.

Peat_Phreak

Peat_Phreak

UHT milk legit for this purpose?

Yes. Lacto will eat that. A lot of yeast won't. So this will reduce one group of yeasts in your culture. Not eliminate it because there are some types of wild yeast that will eat lactose. Same with other types of bacteria.

Milk has a lot less sugar than the method I mentioned. So there will be less growth.

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

i brew mine with rice wash thats sat for a few days then add raw milk and allow the curd and whey to seperate, then dilute the whey and ka bam you cookin with gasss!!! Jadam has some really cool and intresting methods to making different solutions. Jadam microbial solution, and a ton of different IMO ferments. the potato starch one is wicked cool and easy, big UP to doc fricken cho!!!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom