Ladybugs and thrips

• Thread starter Confuten1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
So in 4-5 weeks into flower and im battling PM/fungus gnats, and now Thrips. Sux, but i figure it comes with the territory. NEways, PM and Gnats are under control, but in the thrips, I just found last night and one of my BlueberryXWhite Widows, (leafy bitch) had alot. I immedately sprayed her and surrounding plants down with Azamax at 25ml per gal.
Today I bought Lady bugs to help with the infestation/moniter it. Ive read that Lbugs dont completely kill the population of thrips but will help a grip and when the lady bugs die off, its a good sign the thrip population is vanishing.(lbugs die as food source dies off).
So i have questions on the ladybugs if i may;

1) are they worth introducing into my room
2) since i sprayed azamax 24 hrs ago, should i wait to release Lbugs? How long?
3)I was told to release them at lights off, correct? Why?
4) I was told to spray them with sugar water/ Sprite, to keep them from flying to my lights(which are bare bulbs), is that correct, and whats the logic(sticky wings cant fly?)

Thanks for the help in advance Farm.

Confu...

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
So I added the Lbugs this morning, (lights off fir me) I put them in a bag and sprayed therm with 7-up, tied the bag to a branch on the infected plant, and now we wait.

If someone can please still address my questions, Id be super greatful, as im sure this wont be the last time i use the pretty army (lbugs)

Confu...

OGONLY

OGONLY

I used Spinosad for Thrips. It works for sure. Wouldn't spray it past week 2 or 3 in flower though.

Would be sweet if Ladybugs work for you. Haven't heard of many people having success with them in general.

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
I used Spinosad for Thrips. It works for sure. Wouldn't spray it past week 2 or 3 in flower though.

Would be sweet if Ladybugs work for you. Haven't heard of many people having success with them in general.

Thnx OG, yeah im to far in flower so Im trying to do all i can w/o hurting my girls.

Ill post the results.

Confu...

OGONLY

OGONLY

One ything I can say about Thrips is I'd much rather have them than mites. They didn't seem to cause all that much damage. They mostly munched leaves, never really saw them on buds.

Melvan

Melvan

Ladybugs are good preventative medicine. Release them when you put fresh plants in the grow. They'll catch things as they come in the room and help keep an infestation from starting.

But they can only eat so much, kind of like lions can only kill and eat so many antelope. They'll eat some, but they'll barely make a dent at this point. You need poison. You can avoid spraying the buds by wiping the poison on the leaves, buckets, stakes, etc w/a soft cloth. Make sure you wear gloves.

U

UCtestn

So in 4-5 weeks into flower and im battling PM/fungus gnats, and now Thrips. Sux, but i figure it comes with the territory. NEways, PM and Gnats are under control, but in the thrips, I just found last night and one of my BlueberryXWhite Widows, (leafy bitch) had alot. I immedately sprayed her and surrounding plants down with Azamax at 25ml per gal.
Today I bought Lady bugs to help with the infestation/moniter it. Ive read that Lbugs dont completely kill the population of thrips but will help a grip and when the lady bugs die off, its a good sign the thrip population is vanishing.(lbugs die as food source dies off).
So i have questions on the ladybugs if i may;

1) are they worth introducing into my roomI currently think so
2) since i sprayed azamax 24 hrs ago, should i wait to release Lbugs? How long?Yup, Azamax will kill them. So you can't spray now. I don't believe it will kill many of them after it's dried, just like it won't kill any thripes or mites it didn't contact when sprayed.
3)I was told to release them at lights off, correct? Why? Not sure, I release whenever they come in.
4) I was told to spray them with sugar water/ Sprite, to keep them from flying to my lights(which are bare bulbs), is that correct, and whats the logic(sticky wings cant fly?) My understanding was sugar water helps take the shock of travel out

Thanks for the help in advance Farm.

Confu...

Most people new to predators release some ladybugs when they have a problem. they never follow up or continue treatment.

I like em as a preventative... keep releasing them.

Melvan

Melvan

You can use the potato trap method to help control the fungus gnat larvae. Cut up potatoes into 1 1/2 inch pieces put on top of soil. Let sit for a couple of days, larvae will flock their to chow, remove potatoes, start over.

In the meantime, go online and order beneficial nematodes. You water them into the soil, they'll eat gnat larvae Keep on with the potato traps until you see no more larvae coming up to eat.

And don't over water. Let the buckets go almost dry before you water in the nematodes.

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
Most people new to predators release some ladybugs when they have a problem. they never follow up or continue treatment.

I like em as a preventative... keep releasing them.

UCtestin, thnx for the info, I will be using these as part of my perventative measures next round

So far i can say that between the azamax and Lbugs, day 2, I found very little thrips, almost none so needless to say im very happy! Not sure how much was the azamax or the lbugs, but its workin. at first i thought the lbugs were useless because everytime i went in the room they seemed to b everywhere but on the plants( and i do mean everywhere, including outside my "sealed" room). Do they do their thing at night?

Confu...

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
You can use the potato trap method to help control the fungus gnat larvae. Cut up potatoes into 1 1/2 inch pieces put on top of soil. Let sit for a couple of days, larvae will flock their to chow, remove potatoes, start over.

In the meantime, go online and order beneficial nematodes. You water them into the soil, they'll eat gnat larvae Keep on with the potato traps until you see no more larvae coming up to eat.

And don't over water. Let the buckets go almost dry before you water in the nematodes.

Dude, this is new to me, Thnx fir the info! LUckly the azamax soil drench took care of the fungus gnats, but next time Melvan.

Confu..

U

UCtestn

UCtestin, thnx for the info, I will be using these as part of my perventative measures next round

So far i can say that between the azamax and Lbugs, day 2, I found very little thrips, almost none so needless to say im very happy! Not sure how much was the azamax or the lbugs, but its workin. at first i thought the lbugs were useless because everytime i went in the room they seemed to b everywhere but on the plants( and i do mean everywhere, including outside my "sealed" room). Do they do their thing at night?

Confu...

In a week you'll wonder where they all went. That's why I would just keep refilling the room. If they leave and they are dying, that's a good thing. You could buy food for them to stick around and I even plan on releasing a few thousand in my yard this spring. I'll be feeding those some bugs that won't hurt my plants, but will keep them around. We have a mite problem in these parts.

The other thing is they are exhibitionists...
DSC02620

M

Mr. McGregor

... Not sure how much was the azamax or the lbugs, but its workin. at first i thought the lbugs were useless because everytime i went in the room they seemed to b everywhere but on the plants( and i do mean everywhere, including outside my "sealed" room). Do they do their thing at night?

Confu...

The azamax is growth regulator; it will prevent the immatures from reaching adulthood and reproducing. It doesn't have any effect on adults. If you notice an immediate reduction I would say it's the ladybugs. If the absence continues then it is the azamax. IGR's are usually used where low pest populations can be tolerated. Using multiple controls as you are doing is a good strategy.

Melvan is right on about overwatering. I would let the soil dry completely, just short of wilt. That will reduce the survival rate of the larvae. I also favor nematodes over ladybugs as a bio control. Beneficial as lady bugs are they can become a household pest if not contained.

Regards,
MM

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
In a week you'll wonder where they all went. That's why I would just keep refilling the room. If they leave and they are dying, that's a good thing. You could buy food for them to stick around and I even plan on releasing a few thousand in my yard this spring. I'll be feeding those some bugs that won't hurt my plants, but will keep them around. We have a mite problem in these parts.

The other thing is they are exhibitionists...
View attachment 126967

LOL on the picture, ive been seeing them doing alot of that. My son was like" lady look the lady bugs r wrestling". haha
Confu..

Confuten1

Confuten1

Supporter
The azamax is growth regulator; it will prevent the immatures from reaching adulthood and reproducing. It doesn't have any effect on adults. If you notice an immediate reduction I would say it's the ladybugs. If the absence continues then it is the azamax. IGR's are usually used where low pest populations can be tolerated. Using multiple controls as you are doing is a good strategy.

Melvan is right on about overwatering. I would let the soil dry completely, just short of wilt. That will reduce the survival rate of the larvae. I also favor nematodes over ladybugs as a bio control. Beneficial as lady bugs are they can become a household pest if not contained.

Regards,
MM

Respect dude, thanks

Confu...

Top Bottom