Ladybugs. Have you tried using them?

• Thread starter iLoveCannabis
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

iLoveCannabis

I had spider mites on my last grow, but I read somewhere (I think it was on this site) that ladybugs would help.

I bought the ladybugs and set them loose in the tent and it APPEARS that they got rid of the problem.

Most of the ladybugs died within a few days of being released, but there were a few who stayed alive for weeks.

Before the ladybugs arrived, I had JUST sprayed everything down with Dr. Zymes.... so I don't really know which one fixed the problem..

Has anyone else used ladybugs?what are your thoughts?

2Bad

2Bad

I had spider mites on my last grow, but I read somewhere (I think it was on this site) that ladybugs would help.

I bought the ladybugs and set them loose in the tent and it APPEARS that they got rid of the problem.

Most of the ladybugs died within a few days of being released, but there were a few who stayed alive for weeks.

Before the ladybugs arrived, I had JUST sprayed everything down with Dr. Zymes.... so I don't really know which one fixed the problem..

here for comments...interesting

S

Stonemason7767

I use lady bugs.i put predator mites and lady bugs in my tent.i have never had a pest problem,so I don't realy know if they work.i like to think they are the reason why I have never had pest,but who knows.i put cut up wet raisins in a bowl for them .its the realy young ones and the babies that hunt realy hard.the big ones are kinda lazy it seems.to be honest I realy just like watching them.i prefer dogs and bugs to people most days. You Can't have anything sticky in the room ,like tape .they always find it and stick themselves to it.

Z

Zill

Cannabis,

Great idea to purposely release lady bugs in your tent. Too bad they don’t also dine on powdery mildew.

But, do you guys see a lot of sucking insects on your indoor plants?

Here is link to buy ladybugs:

Hey 2bad,
You sure you want to voice an opinion before checking in with moe?

Zill.

HighChiefClones

HighChiefClones

Supporter

We have used many different great insecticides for mites most that actually work. One thing for certain is that one single application USUALLY doesn't rid of the problem. As for lady bugs they will slowly eat out those sider mites, so if you only sprayed the plants one time then yes it would of helped but the lady bugs is what got rid of the mites at the end. My opinion.

rayi

rayi

I use ladybugs on my outside grow. I bring some in for the winter. Been doing this for years. Very few bugs outside none inside. They need water they can't drown in. I put a wet paper towel in the tent. The raisin idea works ok but any fruit will do.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Using them!!!??? USING them?? Aaaargh!!!

They are my nemesis! Probably the wrong choice of words......hate? Deeply despise???

Of course, I'm not talking about the real ones we all know and love from our childhood, but the invasive Asian Lady Beetle that swarms at your house by the tens of thousands in the fall and make the siding look like it's moving and worm their way in to your house........that stink up a foul order when their disturbed and leave this orange gunk behind......

I want 5 minutes with whoever decided to bring these things into the United States......

GrilledCheeze

GrilledCheeze

I had spider mites once that decimated a commercial grow. They spread so rapidly and their eggs are like little super tanks that cannot be destroyed. To answer your question, no I don't use ladybugs or any other beneficial mite predator. Your number one focus should be to prevent pests in the first place. Practice good housekeeping and awareness. Don't go from handling your garden or other plants outside and then to your grow room. Change your clothes, or shower, first. Don't wear your outside shoes in your grow room. Use screens/filters if bringing in air from outside. Always clean your equipment between runs. I no longer allow pets in my grow space. I'm not trying to run a sterile environment but being mindful on the little things will go a long way in saving you the time and frustration of dealing with pests.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

I had a spider mite infestation with my previous grow. I lost the crop and learned more than I ever wanted to know about spider mites. Many things were done poorly, but the worst was that I didn't understand how these mites can rapidly adapt and evolve, so I ended up breeding super spider mites. I got so frustrated that I destroyed the whole crop, bought a new tent and moved the whole operation to a different room. The one thing I didn't try and wish I had was the use of predator mites. Some folks here recommended them and I wish I had taken their advice. I'd be okay with ladybugs, too. My current grow is in flower and I haven't seen any sign of spider mites yet.

GrilledCheeze

GrilledCheeze

I had a spider mite infestation with my previous grow. I lost the crop and learned more than I ever wanted to know about spider mites. Many things were done poorly, but the worst was that I didn't understand how these mites can rapidly adapt and evolve, so I ended up breeding super spider mites. I got so frustrated that I destroyed the whole crop, bought a new tent and moved the whole operation to a different room. The one thing I didn't try and wish I had was the use of predator mites. Some folks here recommended them and I wish I had taken their advice. I'd be okay with ladybugs, too. My current grow is in flower and I haven't seen any sign of spider mites yet.
I understand the frustration but you would have been fine to clean your existing tent well and then do it again a few days later, then one more time a few days after that as the eggs continue to hatch. If the mites don't have food they will die so initiating a quarantine period of a couple/few weeks after the initial cleaning phase would have likely been sufficient. Your main priority should be focusing on how the mites entered your space to begin with and start your process changes there. If you establish and maintain good grow area practices it's unlikely you'll ever need the predator mites or ladybugs at all.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

I understand the frustration but you would have been fine to clean your existing tent well and then do it again a few days later, then one more time a few days after that as the eggs continue to hatch. If the mites don't have food they will die so initiating a quarantine period of a couple/few weeks after the initial cleaning phase would have likely been sufficient. Your main priority should be focusing on how the mites entered your space to begin with and start your process changes there. If you establish and maintain good grow area practices it's unlikely you'll ever need the predator mites or ladybugs at all.
It was a heck of a learning experience. That much is certain. One thing I decided was that a 4x4 tent was too big for my capabilities as a new grower. So I downsized to a new 2x4 tent and set my goal to have a successful grow. It looks like I'm going to get there, too. The plants are in their third week of flower and generally look good but I think there are some nutrient issues. Because my first crop didn't finish, I'm in new territory now and have more learning ahead.

I have several ideas about how the mites got into my grow tent. I started the plants outside because I didn't have a tent when I began. At the time, I didn't know what I needed. The plants were near some violets I bought from Lowe's that were destroyed by mites later in the season. I'm pretty sure that's how they got started. I have cleaned the first room, which is attached to the garage and not part of the house. I have also kept plants out of that room to let eggs hatch so the mites will starve and die. So I have done what I can to prevent another infestation. If it were to happen again, however, I would definitely consider predators. Those damn mites are hard to eradicate with insecticides.

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
Ladybirds prefer aphids witch they are ok for as they will eat up to 100 a day

They won’t control spider mites they will eat them if there hungry & can’t fly away to find the food they prefer however they can’t keep up with a spider mite infestation the spider mites lay upto 300 eggs a day they can’t eat that many.

Also mites Reproduce at a faster rate meaning meaning that ladybirds will never keep up & be able to control them

If you ever get them again & want to control/wipe them out without sprays you can buy predator mites witch will work well.

Hopefully you won’t 😋

Last edited:
Top Bottom