Lamp wont relight

• Thread starter NBfrost
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

NBfrost

i need some urgent help with hydro issues ... i have a 400w mh and i unpluged it for a moment to hook up my bat wing , i had the bulb horizontal , for a moment but then noticed i didnt have the right nuts and bolts . so i put the light back in its vertical position hanging by the chain . on the outside of the socket plate , now the light wont re light , but the balist is humming . does it just need to cool down ?? thanks man im a little worried i dont have a back up , all i have is a dest lamp , thanks for the help :):):)

O

ojd

yeah let it cool down for 10 mins then try it
it should come back on then

N

NBfrost

um back up and going , thanks man had me freaked out i broke the bulb , see i have 3 1000 watters at my other home but thats an hour away lol and i just cANT walk in adn get em ... du to parents lol

N

NBfrost

what would happen if the power went out then came back on and that happened? would the light eventually turn on or would there be something worse?

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
It would turn back on might have to wait a bit like before for the ignitor and shit to cool. Its really not good for it imo. Keep that from not happening in the future if you can help it. Im sure it doesnt help the bulb life or ballast life either. If power was off for a while it would just fire right back up, no cool down needed.

GTD

J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
You can get products that will prevent hot-starts. Basically it's just a time delayed relay. One thing i always do, i keep a fan blowing at my ballasts when they're on. Being that it's just a small desk top type fan and runs on 120v, it's on a different circuit than my 240v for my ballasts. Keeps them nice and cool. Just an idea. ;)

N

NBfrost

thanks , i use to do the same with my 1000w ballast and it helped considerbly , it ran really cool. this is my first time running a 400w , all i have is 1000w switchable systems before . I'm surprised they dont sell a fan cooled system like a pc , or even an liquid cooled system , like they do with pc's . thanks for all the help

J

johnnyballbag

Premium Member
Supporter
They've been made air-cooled, but i like having the fan and the ballast on totally different circuits.

G

greenthumb

most ballsast companys tell you if the lights go off to leave it for about30 mins before turning back on.
i accidentaly turned my maxibright 600w off and then turned it back on again strait away and the bulb wouldnt light and the ballast was humming loudly so i waited turned it back on only to find that the ballast had blown .so cross your fingers and hope your ballast hasnt blown.

Latest posts

Top Bottom