Landrace varieties, who has grown them?

• Thread starter homebrew420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
homebrew420

homebrew420

Hey all, will be starting a breeding program, if all goes well, within a few months. Trying to get together a list of seeds to begin this project. My ideas is to breed toward a variety with strong specific medical attributes. Thinking of using most of Real seed Co. charas cultivars as well as Thais, Malawi's, and other sativas. Any suggestions for unique landrace seeds would be great, especially if you have first hand knowledge. Going to try for very visually appealing flowers as well. The more color, and flavor, the better. Will not be breeding for yield per say, that would be a bonus but is certainly lower on the list of attributes of importance. Thanks.

Peace

HB420

homebrew420

homebrew420

Thanks northone. Thanks kind of the idea. However what I am interested in is strains grown and where they were obtained. All of varieties would be open pollinated in the first generation to secure a large number of seeds to then choose breeding stock from. They will be grown out before any real breeding would take place, allowing for a proper selection of parental stock from 30 or 40 at a time though multiple generations. Also the idea of open pollination will ensure genetic variability within a population. I know what I am going for. Just looking for a little help from anyone who has "First hand knowledge" of growing any of these varieties.

What have you grown Northone? It is unimportant how long these plants flower or how tall they get. I will be in a warehouse setting with a good deal of room.

Peace

F

frogeye

Nice to some1 putting in work with the l.r varieties.If ur just tryin to make some seed stock first then i would put into 12/12 almost immediately as l.r strains can take a longgggggg time to flower,not to mention become giants.Malawi,nigerian,thai,durban,kerela,nepal,indian,guat and so and so....You could find alot of the l.r strains info over at icmag.No disrespect to the good people at the farm,but most on here dont seem to care for growing l.r genetics.Ive grown out a couple over the years some african,central american,thai and indian.Most took a lonnnnnng time to flower and hermied but definately an interesting variety in shape and high.The thais and asian l.r in general can flower foreverrrrrr,But when u find a jewel it will be well worth it.gypsy used to carry a laos l.r that was supposedly quite unique.Here are some places that carry landrace strains still. ace seeds,afropips,seedsman,the real seed co,tropical seed co,world of seeds. between these companies this should give you a good start and an idea of whats to come from a breeding aspect.Other then that its all word of mouth and people you meet to find other good l.r strains.If you send an E MAIL to aceseeds or tropical seed co they could help you find ALOT of l.r strains.good luck h.b if i hear of any legit l.r strains ill let you know...peace

homebrew420

homebrew420

hey thanks frogeye. I will be placing orders to at least 3 of the seed co. you listed as I had already made up a list of potential parental candidates. Most of the research I have done confirm what you've written, loooooooong flowering phenos are to be expected. If the laws change to legalization the breeding program will shift to a more connoisseur leaning end goal. FLAVOR FLAVOR FLAVOR. Will keep you all updated. Plan to cross Rez's Double Sour Diesel with a very nice Grindhouse Diesarella male over the next few days. He is just starting to open up now. Wish me luck.

7rayos

Check in this forum for Tropical Seeds, sharing the path of Cannabiogen and ACE, they know their job and got some long work on several landraces, both sativas and indicas. I grew some of their Purple Pakistani in crosses. Also CBG's Taskenti, which i suppose has a bit of something in it to help it get used to our climates, but a beautiful multicolor plant with very little variation. Me, just a pollenchucker, but if i understood any of it, in today's offer that should be top breeding landrace material.

M

MASSES 420KING

Thanks northone. Thanks kind of the idea. However what I am interested in is strains grown and where they were obtained. All of varieties would be open pollinated in the first generation to secure a large number of seeds to then choose breeding stock from. They will be grown out before any real breeding would take place, allowing for a proper selection of parental stock from 30 or 40 at a time though multiple generations. Also the idea of open pollination will ensure genetic variability within a population. I know what I am going for. Just looking for a little help from anyone who has "First hand knowledge" of growing any of these varieties.

What have you grown Northone? It is unimportant how long these plants flower or how tall they get. I will be in a warehouse setting with a good deal of room.

Peace

dna/reserva privada have landrace indicas paki and afghani un-hybridized

F

frogeye

what strains have you narrowed it down to so far? almost every seed company now offers 1 l.r at least it seems so. i believe seedboutique still has some zamal and the pure laos strain and even a cambodian called foxtail,its located under their seed list under the gn collection.try to also find the kerela strain if you can,real seed co used to have them but i think most are sold out. the indian sativas were used in the origional haze lines so you might be able to find some really good gems,if unavailable try the seedsmans kerela/og haze cross for the $20 bucks.you will be able to find 2 diff phenos from 1 pack,kill 2 birds with 1 stone.this thread makes me want to crack some gear ive had for awhile now shiiiiite .peace

bodhi seeds

bodhi seeds

your looking at a lot of work with little return at first, except for the nourishment of your mind and spirit and the gene pool.

sativas: build yourself a green house quick, get those seeds popping for this season, or create a nice metal halide high ceiling grow space and be prepared to weed through alot of plants. africans and mexicans tend to be quickest, asian and south americans longer. if you want to bulk seeds from different varieties, try using individual grow tents, 12/12 from seed, when the males have blown their load, remove them from the tent to give the females more light. evaluate the high of sativas after a nice long cure min 3 months.... talk to you around this time next year to hear how your seeds came out.... your looking at about 3 years for your first f1 hybrids, or 2 years if you do it indoors.
have fun... thanks for taking the time, the big mama salutes you for your service.

homebrew420

homebrew420

THanks for all the feedback. To answer a few questions, seeds have been narrowed down to Malawi, Thai, a fw packs of real seed co varieties , difficult decision, Will be obtaininig columbian stock within a month. I know a chap who is traveling down for a vacation. Will be doing some work to create a different type of haze style sativa. Figure with medium population to start with, say 20 or so at a time I whould be able to find some winners within a fw generations at the very least.
Thanks for your comments Bodhi. Will all be indoor in a warehouse. This is to try finding new novel flavors and smells. And being as I would be working with a dispensary the flowers produced would be a standard one month cure, or less. But very good to know. And I am sure very important in selecting the proper parental stock

Just purchased a pack of Aces Golden Tiger, and will prob get their double Thai.

Thanks again all

Top Bottom