Landrace? Where You At?

• Thread starter Sherlock
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Sherlock

Hey All,
Been growing now almost 15 years. Tried many ways to grow, and many more strains. I am in awe of the work that some breeders these days are doing. And on the other side of that token, am in awe of how narrow the taste of the cannabis market it. Give me cookies or give me death! Well, Im honestly one of those people who didn't see the hype the first time I tried em. Yes, since then I have tasted some amazing cookie stuff, but that leaves me and I am sure many many others thinking, what next?

I would like to join the group of growers out there that breed not from two packs they just bought, but from an unworked landrace, raw and ready to produce a mountain of genetic potential. I want to find that next male that just makes all those girls go wild. So I have a few questions as I get started.

First, I don't at this time know anyone that has a cut of a Viet Black, Columbian, etc. Therefore I need to go with a breeder that sells landrace f1s, semi worked landraces, etc. I have looked into Bodhi and his trips but no idea if that is happening again or where he will go. After that, found ACE and CannaBioGen. Both claim to have some pure sativa and indica landraces, as well as some crosses of these. No idea if these are legit but so far its all I have found. Question is, anyone have any exp with these two or their strains?

Second, where else should I be looking? I want to do this right, I want to respect the work that has already been done and truly add my own stamp. Give me some advice as to where to acquire these kind of strains and help me start the long process of developing a new strain line.

Thanks for the read, Ill keep all posted on any progress I make on finding the raw ingredients.

Sherlock

whitepistols

whitepistols

Only breeder that comes to mind on landrace is snowhigh. There maybe others but alot of his are from the landrace side, not bred and boxed in.

I have a pack of the jamacian blood klot of theres, its panama red and lambs bred crossed. Flowering time is 16 weeks but as we know they go longer.

Really like to have some sativa's that have that heart attack rush that can toss you out of here. Not sure if any help but start there and insta gram has a shit load more on it than any .com does. Alot easier to find exclusive seeds

S

Sherlock

Only breeder that comes to mind on landrace is snowhigh. There maybe others but alot of his are from the landrace side, not bred and boxed in.

I have a pack of the jamacian blood klot of theres, its panama red and lambs bred crossed. Flowering time is 16 weeks but as we know they go longer.

Really like to have some sativa's that have that heart attack rush that can toss you out of here. Not sure if any help but start there and insta gram has a shit load more on it than any .com does. Alot easier to find exclusive seeds
Thanks for the rec, Ill check out snowhigh. Im new to IG but getting there so I will keep looking there as well. Thank you!

Sherlock

GreenLion

GreenLion

So ur going to take someone else's work on landrace strains and make it your own? Not much difference if u think about it. I'd say if u want to do it right.. go get these seeds from the place they originated from. If ur too cheep for that, buy some mexican brick weed and search threw that. Mexican grower buy bulk seeds from all over. But u don't know what u really have.. sorry if I came off like a d. Just tired of people using the same old genetics and it seems like that's what ur trying to get away from

S

Sherlock

So ur going to take someone else's work on landrace strains and make it your own? Not much difference if u think about it. I'd say if u want to do it right.. go get these seeds from the place they originated from. If ur too cheep for that, buy some mexican brick weed and search threw that. Mexican grower buy bulk seeds from all over. But u don't know what u really have.. sorry if I came off like a d. Just tired of people using the same old genetics and it seems like that's what ur trying to get away from
Well ya, you started to come off like a D, but hey, with Ron White representing you how could I expect anything less!! No hard feelings.
But I think your a little off to be honest. I am looking for 2nd or 3rd generation landrace strains. No I cannot travel to Pakistan right now so yes you are right I will be standing on at least a few shoulders who worked the first generation, guess that makes me too cheap. I dont see this the same as buying some Dos si Dos and some Thin Mints and crossing them and calling it my new killer strain. I will have to work that Pakistani through many more generations before I am even ready to cross with anything else, and hopefully that cross is another 2nd or 3rd gen landrace I worked such as a honduran or columbian mangobiche. And as for the mexican bag seed, no.
So ya, hope I didnt come off like a D either, i think we both are kinda tired of the same thing.

Sherlock

malamus

malamus

Hey All,
Been growing now almost 15 years. Tried many ways to grow, and many more strains. I am in awe of the work that some breeders these days are doing. And on the other side of that token, am in awe of how narrow the taste of the cannabis market it. Give me cookies or give me death! Well, Im honestly one of those people who didn't see the hype the first time I tried em. Yes, since then I have tasted some amazing cookie stuff, but that leaves me and I am sure many many others thinking, what next?

I would like to join the group of growers out there that breed not from two packs they just bought, but from an unworked landrace, raw and ready to produce a mountain of genetic potential. I want to find that next male that just makes all those girls go wild. So I have a few questions as I get started.

First, I don't at this time know anyone that has a cut of a Viet Black, Columbian, etc. Therefore I need to go with a breeder that sells landrace f1s, semi worked landraces, etc. I have looked into Bodhi and his trips but no idea if that is happening again or where he will go. After that, found ACE and CannaBioGen. Both claim to have some pure sativa and indica landraces, as well as some crosses of these. No idea if these are legit but so far its all I have found. Question is, anyone have any exp with these two or their strains?

Second, where else should I be looking? I want to do this right, I want to respect the work that has already been done and truly add my own stamp. Give me some advice as to where to acquire these kind of strains and help me start the long process of developing a new strain line.

Thanks for the read, Ill keep all posted on any progress I make on finding the raw ingredients.

Sherlock
Ace and cannabiogen are what you're looking for. Working with straight land races as you mentioned is a lot of work. I'm working with Ace's Zamaldelica and it's wonderful, definitely full Sativa but not wild as shit so it can be grown indoors.

malamus

malamus

If you do really want to work with unworked stains seeds of Africa I believe still has strains that are just collections from the area. World of seeds seems to be in the same boat, although theirs maaay be one generation off. Other ppl have complained but my Pakistani Valley Kush from them seemed to be a landrace.

malamus

malamus

Also to give you an idea of working with unworked, highly inbred strains I picked up some Ethiopian highland sativas. These were a single generation after the original release.

I thought that working with GDP was slow.... these are fucking awful. Approximately two months to show sex and the plants aren't even a foot tall. Out of 15 seeds 11 sprouted and I threw out 7 for having 0 interesting traits. These have clogged up my perpetual grow and I had to reconfigure to account for their timing. I saved one male and three females to preserve the line, but I'm not planning on growing any of them indoors, just way too much time mostly. I got some Zamaldelica pollen that I will use instead to get some vigor back in the line.

PavitrJadoo

PavitrJadoo

I have to believe a regression back to landrace growing is the next wave. Genetics have gotten so trivial/plagiarized its pointless and annoying...It's not so much the strain but how it's grown/fed. e.g If you've got "Cookies" that stay lit and taste like hay, they're not Cookies. Sorry I don't want to have a garden full kindergartener named cannabis strains anyway.

Well right now I've got Pakistan Chitral, Hindu Kush, Acapulco, Afghanica, + Malawi growing both indoors and out.
Let me just say...when you've got a landrace you will know it. They just look wild if that makes since...And they'll do weird and cool things. Especially if you play with Bloom Khaos and Growswitch together. Right now I'm in love with the Malawi. Its resilient, mutates often, and grows rapidly.

As for sources, Seeds of Africa for Malawi. World of Seeds for Chitral. Sensi Hindu Kush. My own Afghanica (x military) and Acapulco. Since I know for certain two of my landraces are honestly sourced, watching them grow side by side with the other landraces and some hybrids helps those "wild" characteristics to become more apparent.

I'm cataloging on instagram @cartogro.

B

besofthebes

When I read the persons wants, I immediately thought of snowhigh. The two strains I wish I could have gotten from them were the hawaiian gold and the columbian gold. My breeding would be 1000%better if I had them. If you want Landrace, go snowhigh.

BombBP

BombBP

Hazeman has Monkey Balls, which is just Deep Chunk. You could also do a search for Aunt of Farouk, Afghan helman and Iraqi pilgrim, all landrace indicas.

S

Sherlock

Thank you All!
I never expected so many responses with valuable information. I went with ACE and Canabiogen for now but am still looking for more. I checked out snowhigh, maybe im looking in wrong spot, but I couldn't find much as far as the pure landrace genetics. Found many crosses with newer strains, and i think I did see a BX of some choc thai. But ill keep looking!!

Super excited to get these seeds, the Honduras Breeders Pack comes first, and is most likely the first I will get to work on. Very excited about these breeders packs as it seems there is a lot of potential, and a lot of information given by the seed bank. This first pack for example has 30 seeds, 10 from one pheno mom, 10 from another, and 10 from another. Quick explanations of the pheno, and what she has been used for. Cannabinoid readouts, terpene profiles. Stoked I am.

Anyone ever experiment with Honduran sativas? And again thanks all for the help and suggestions!

Sherlock

SpiderK

SpiderK

snowhigh has some good stuff. he just went on va ca so he might not be around for a bit' .... in the past hes gone dark for over a year so maybe grab some of his gear now if you interested. it will go quick over time as some are only one or two packs in stock.

one big issue is growing them inside. very, very few people can grow inside for 14-20 weeks and get the most out of the genetics. i have not tried but one of the very few good sativa growers ( a+ indoor nevils haze ) i studied talked about switching lighting and intensity during the day. so your talking about hands on growing all day every day, but this guy did it ..... and your talking research, study and testing as your environment ( say dry like colorado will provide road blocks or heat like a.z ... ) u must match conditions in the host country and how those change over a growing season. i'd say many guys are using fresh outdoor air over this extended period.

so maybe study who the guys are that hang in certain threads on different forums then research older post they have made over time and pick up tips'. e.t. is one guy on the forums in the past who could grow sativa indoors , guys like this ...

it would be much easier in a greenhouse that you could control and use the sun.

many will not begin flowering until they veg for 60-90 days.

Last edited:
SpiderK

SpiderK

and snowhigh has not dropped pure landrace for the most part. even the columbian has a mix of genetics. ..... many of the strains are poly hybrids.

closest thing you may find is something like cambodian khmer gold x chiang mai northern thai ... ( 22 weeks ) the cambodian was from gypsy trip on icmag and thai from old hippy head. he does have a few landrace x landrace crosses ...

make take lots of seeds till you find those great plants then grown for a few generations.

snoplow20

snoplow20

I just recieved a pack of world of seeds landrace afghan kush. Obviously a pure indica, not a sativa. But if you look on attitude im pretty sure wos has some sativa landraces.

snoplow20

snoplow20

Yes, it would be nice if we could all just put our lives on standby and go collect some seeds from all over the world. But a landrace is a landrace. They have been pollinating themselves for years. Which is why they are true breeding stable lines. F1, F2 seeds refer to a hybrid cross. So to me, theres no such thing as a f2 landrace seed. A landrace seed is a landrace seed.

snoplow20

snoplow20

Unless your talking about f1 of 2 landraces. Which by definition only a cross of 2 true breeding lines results in a f1 hybrid.

Top Bottom