Large/healthy enough to flip into flower?

• Thread starter Bauhinia
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bauhinia

Bauhinia

I'm a first-time grower to really trying to gauge when to flip into flower. I've read a lot about different endpoints for veg, but I have a few factors that I'm not sure which to prioritize. The plant is mostly an indica and is quite bushy, she's only around 7" tall, I topped for a second time three days ago. She has a bit of a calcium deficiency as I ran out of CalMag, and shipping has been badly delayed for the replacement, so she has a few yellowish spots, though I am supposed to get it within the next two days. So, I feel like she is ready to flip and I'll just add the CalMag when it arrives, as I'm planning on filling out the net throughout the stretch. It's approaching the midpoint of her 5th week of veg and I'm only growing in a 2x2x4 tent so space is my main concern. Should I wait longer or do you guys think it's ok to flip now?

Largehealthy enough to flip into flower
ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

I'm a first-time grower to really trying to gauge when to flip into flower. I've read a lot about different endpoints for veg, but I have a few factors that I'm not sure which to prioritize. The plant is mostly an indica and is quite bushy, she's only around 7" tall, I topped for a second time three days ago. She has a bit of a calcium deficiency as I ran out of CalMag, and shipping has been badly delayed for the replacement, so she has a few yellowish spots, though I am supposed to get it within the next two days. So, I feel like she is ready to flip and I'll just add the CalMag when it arrives, as I'm planning on filling out the net throughout the stretch. It's approaching the midpoint of her 5th week of veg and I'm only growing in a 2x2x4 tent so space is my main concern. Should I wait longer or do you guys think it's ok to flip now?
I'd give her a few more days to recover from the top. Usually a week after topping before flipping to reduce overall stress. Double check but I'm pretty sure you can supplement some cal mag with epsom salts in the meantime. Also length of veg plays a factor. I've read that 4 weeks veg is best as a minimum so the plant has the proper structure to support flowering.

Bauhinia

Bauhinia

...Usually a week after topping before flipping to reduce overall stress. Double check but I'm pretty sure you can supplement some cal mag with epsom salts in the meantime. Also length of veg plays a factor. I've read that 4 weeks veg is best as a minimum so the plant has the proper structure to support flowering.

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, that definitely sounds like a better way to go about it, I'll give her the rest of this veg week and that'll bring her to 5 weeks total of veg which I think should be enough support to flip? Forgot to mention this is also a DWC grow. I'll also take a look into an epsom salt replacement treatment.
In terms of size, is this pretty typical of indica strains to remain this bushy? I have LST'd her a bit, but I see a lot of pictures of other grows that seem to be much taller at this stage.

growsince79

growsince79

Agree with a week after top. But not only because of stress but because the new shoots need tine for hormonal development. Flipping too soon after topping makes for tiny buds instead of big colas.

ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, that definitely sounds like a better way to go about it, I'll give her the rest of this veg week and that'll bring her to 5 weeks total of veg which I think should be enough support to flip? Forgot to mention this is also a DWC grow. I'll also take a look into an epsom salt replacement treatment.
In terms of size, is this pretty typical of indica strains to remain this bushy? I have LST'd her a bit, but I see a lot of pictures of other grows that seem to be much taller at this stage.
7" seems a little short for 4 weeks of veg.

growsince79

growsince79

What is veg time anyways? I always thought when a seed sprouts and the pads open that's day one veg. To me nothing else makes sense. But for some reason, people say vegging doesn't start until after the seedling stage. But of course everyone has a different opinion on when seedling end and veg begins. So who knows how old it really is.

Dub_City405

Dub_City405

They will double in size usually. They will grow vertically the first 21 days of flower.

ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

What is veg time anyways? I always thought when a seed sprouts and the pads open that's day one veg. To me nothing else makes sense. But for some reason, people say vegging doesn't start until after the seedling stage. But of course everyone has a different opinion on when seedling end and veg begins. So who knows how old it really is.
Very true. If counting from seedling opening up, I'd say short, if counting from first day after seedling stage, maybe not so much. I'm no expert yet 😁

Bauhinia

Bauhinia

Haha yeah veg time I’ve heard varies on interpretations from grower to grower. For me it’s been a couple days longer than 4 weeks since the sprout emerged from the rock wool. Probably still on the shorter side? The interesting thing is that there’s a lot of new growth but it’s all compacted like a bush.

Top Bottom