Large Mag Drive Pump Question

• Thread starter 91stang
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

91stang

I have heard that magnetic drive pumps can cause some nutrients to fall out of suspension. I don't think this is much concern on smaller pumps but what about large ones like doubleds uses in his systems [ 1800GPH]. Anyone ever experience this, your input would be appreciated

91stang

good to Know

I was a little concerned about the heat as well. I was suprised at the size and wieght of these pumps when I recieved them. I am going to run them inline as well. Thanks for the input

K

kushpheen

Do you have a pic of your pump/reservoir setup northone?

K

kushpheen

That looks awesome, brilliant idea. I was under the impression those had to be submersed to dissipate their heat. Any sound/vibration issues?

D

DazedNconfussed

just a medicated amateur idea, but could someone benifit from mounting the sub pumps in a external water res just to help cool the pump and disapate the pumps heat without warming the main res, yet keep it plummed up only to the main res?

B

bakershredhead

I don't see why not Dnconfussed. Hey Northone how many magnetic drive pumps you got total. I've got four, two 1800gph and two 1200gph. I kind of was wondering the same thing about the nutes or I guess it would be iron falling out. Probably shouldn't be a problem though with weekly nute changes.

O

oldtimer60

I used to have a reef saltwater aquarium and I had to add calcium every day because of it falling out of the makeup water because of magnetic pumps. All the books warn reef keepers about this problem. Just be aware.

O

oldtimer60

P.S. It only happens with the submersible pumps. Ones that are in line are no problem.

L

Lost

Guys, I run my pumps IN the res to keep them cool. Everything should be on a chiller system bringing the water temp down to the required 65 degrees. That way the pump is actually "Chilled" as well..

Top Bottom