Last week of flower

• Thread starter Steel Erection
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Steel Erection

My canopy is way too thick. I'm in week 7 right now and was thinking that in week 10, my last week of flush, I would pull most if not all of the fan leaves to get light to the lower sites for the last week to help them ripen up. What do you guys think?-SE

j wizzle

j wizzle

alot of people do that, myself included....helps fatten up the lower buds. i do it 2 weeks before i chop, so right before flush basically.

S

Steel Erection

Cool bro thanks for your response. I think I'm gonna take some the first week of flush and pull a lot of them in the last week also. Thats what I was hoping to get light to the lower sites so they can mature the last 2 weeks. -SE

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
My canopy is way too thick. I'm in week 7 right now and was thinking that in week 10, my last week of flush, I would pull most if not all of the fan leaves to get light to the lower sites for the last week to help them ripen up. What do you guys think?-SE
If they're blocking light to lower bud sites, then either those sites should have been removed, or the leaves should have been removed. Unless this is a long-running strain I don't really see what you're going to get at this point in time, it's a little late. Do it now, see what happens at the end.

j wizzle

j wizzle

If they're blocking light to lower bud sites, then either those sites should have been removed, or the leaves should have been removed. Unless this is a long-running strain I don't really see what you're going to get at this point in time, it's a little late. Do it now, see what happens at the end.

thats true...i also do it during the stretch so the lower branches can make it up into the canopy....basically anytime im in the garden, im trying to get light to as many bud sites as possible, so if i see a huge fan leaf blockin a bud site, its going to get pulled.

some people hate doing this and say you should leave the plant as it is, but thats not for me and i think it lowers yield and quality when you dont pull fans off...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Fan leaves that are toward the center of the plant, that aren't getting much light themselves anyway, find their way into my compost pile. I take a bottom-up, inside-out approach, and apply the concepts of Medjool farming, where I select out the sites that have the least potential based on amount of light and other physical location factors. This is when I usually take clones, and that's once I see that buds are beginning to set well, which makes it easy for me to say, "Oh yeah, that's not going to be a good bud because I look up the stem and I see this."

Does that make sense? I'm still learning, to be perfectly honest. I'm really reducing my popcorn to cola ratios, but I'm still learning.

I do try to leave the leaves that are collecting good amounts of light.

S

Steel Erection

I trimmed pretty much the bottom half of the plants bare. However I have too many in the table. There are tons of nice frosty colas but I know that under those colas are sites that aren't as mature due to the lack of light. What I'm trying to achieve is getting light to those lower sites so they ripen. I'm pulling at 70 days its day 42 today soooo... I'm thinkin if I pull those leaves the lower sites will have 2-3 weeks to catch up and mature. So whatcha think?-SE

j wizzle

j wizzle

i think that will increase your yeild for sure... you want to pull the large ones on the top of the canopy too. anything that doesnt look like a nice little nug yet, you can pull that too. it will help your kolas get larger

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I grow outdoors and have never remove fan leaves unless they were yellow. But I may try that out.

Fan leaves that are toward the center of the plant, that aren't getting much light themselves anyway, find their way into my compost pile. I take a bottom-up, inside-out approach, and apply the concepts of Medjool farming, where I select out the sites that have the least potential based on amount of light and other physical location factors. This is when I usually take clones, and that's once I see that buds are beginning to set well, which makes it easy for me to say, "Oh yeah, that's not going to be a good bud because I look up the stem and I see this."

Does that make sense? I'm still learning, to be perfectly honest. I'm really reducing my popcorn to cola ratios, but I'm still learning.

I do try to leave the leaves that are collecting good amounts of light.

That Makes a lot of sense.
I too am learning to prune better. Partly from having to trim that crap after harvest.
The "bottom-up, inside-out approach" is what I am doing too.
Makes Perfect sense.

JACKMAYOFFER

JACKMAYOFFER

Playing with Fire Son...
Supporter
We start removing fan leaves at week 5 all the way until the end really helps..JACK:character0095:

Wi fi 007
Wi fi 013
motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
I do a good clean up about 17-20 days before harvest

has always worked for me

S

Steel Erection

Thanks for your responses guys. I'm gonna start pluckin them tomorrow. And I guess I'll pull some every week for the next 3 weeks.-SE

S

Steel Erection

I deleafed a bunch today. It definitely helped with the light penetration. Thanks for the help.-SE

D

DazedNconfussed

I had 14 casey's under 2 -1k's grown semi organic in soil and just harvested 3.75lbs of golfball to softball size nugs. in week 4 i was away for a week or so and my brother was watchin the crop and he messed the ph up bigtime i think (still not sure how he did it)....damm near every fan leaf turned yellow and died. I started slammin them with ph'd nutes and the buds kept swellin....every bud...I never had such an even crop. This crop turned out better then my run in hydro (dwc) with casy wich I only trimmed a few fans and bent other and got about 2.5lbs.

I cant say forsure though the crop turned out so well due to all fan leafs being removed, I did use AN connie nutes with moab this run, last run I used GH nutes with hydroplex. All other factors were the same.

I do plan on around week 7 removing ALL fans again.

S

Steel Erection

I took at least a 5 gallon bucket of fan leaves off today. Will do some more each week for the next 2 weeks. nice harvest bro. I got Shmoes Casey veggin right now. I never ran it before. Can you tell me anything about it.-SE

D

DazedNconfussed

I took at least a 5 gallon bucket of fan leaves off today. Will do some more each week for the next 2 weeks. nice harvest bro. I got Shmoes Casey veggin right now. I never ran it before. Can you tell me anything about it.-SE

Well I have found 75 days of flower about perfect. She stretches also...be ready and the buds will get too big for the branches so dont be suprised if you need string them up or some other kind of support. They really frost up with larger trichomes in colder weather also, and colder temps can add some purple also...not alot but awsome tones. Not super dense nuge, but massive, funky calyxs and pretty low bud to leaf ratio.

Latest posts

Top Bottom