Last year’s outdo soil in grow bags. What do you do with it?

• Thread starter Letsgrowit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

Letsgrowit

Hi Growers. I have 6 30gal and 6 20gal bags from Oct harvest. They are sitting outside in winter. I removed the stems and roots. What should I do with the soil? Do you reuse? It’s coast of Maine stonington full of BAS organics, rootwise, and tribus. Costs me about $500 a year for the soil.

My thinking is I should dump the soil into my raised beds, wash the grow bags and buy new for 2023.

I also have read a bit about reusing soil… this is nice dirt and full of nutes, ph 6.5. I had no soil issues.

I just don’t know what’s it is going be like in the spring… the more I write this the more I think why take the chance to amend. Just start clean.

What do you all do?

Last years outdo soil in grow bags what do you do with it
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
i’ve been using the same 10 gallon bags now for about 10 grows, i spray them down with the hose than i’ll wash them in the washing machine once or twice, tiny bit of soap and use full water capacity.. probably change to new ones this round..
re using soil is something i don’t do just because i don’t like the idea of it.. but i know you can..

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I put it in my veg garden and work it in. I'll be putting in at least one raised bed this spring, so that will probably be getting most of what I have on hand.

I know people who reuse soil, and they run water through it to leach out as many remaining nutrients as possible. But I have a lot of calcium in my soil and that doesn't wash out easily. Heirloom tomatoes love it.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I put it in my veg garden and work it in. I'll be putting in at least one raised bed this spring, so that will probably be getting most of what I have on hand.

I know people who reuse soil, and they run water through it to leach out as many remaining nutrients as possible. But I have a lot of calcium in my soil and that doesn't wash out easily. Heirloom tomatoes love it.
washing out soil would be such a mess, time consuming,
geezus not for me..

steamroller

steamroller

4 grows all fox farms and coast of maine and I have not reused yet. 🤷‍♂️
The cost compared to yield says I go new everytime, with like 20 5g buckets each grow.
Mine goes into gardens and landscaping?

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I reuse it. Dump it all into a pile. Add whatever amendments I think it will need. Right about now. Let it sit for four months. Do a slurry or get it tested in the spring. And away we go again. I don’t add any nutes During the grow. Just recharge and water. Can’t afford to be throwing away good soil. Making the soil is almost as much fun as growing the dope.

ezenzyme

ezenzyme

alwyes ru use, spent dirt is nice for seedlings, and with a lil manure and ammendments is ready to rock; some peat or coco after a few years will keep texture good. Be a baller and toss in worms, water and cover crop during the off season, with a little love you can have forever dirt!!!

sambapati

sambapati

I reuse it. Dump it all into a pile. Add whatever amendments I think it will need. Right about now. Let it sit for four months. Do a slurry or get it tested in the spring. And away we go again. I don’t add any nutes During the grow. Just recharge and water. Can’t afford to be throwing away good soil. Making the soil is almost as much fun as growing the dope.
Agree with @Oldchucky -- making a unique soil mixture is just plain fun. Will it make the 'best' weed? Maybe or maybe not but will put roots and other debris in the compost pile and keep adding more green and brown on top....and on....and on....

rayi

rayi

My outside 40 gallon bags and soil are reused every year. In the fall I add Dolomite lime and compost. In the spring I use Azomite the ground limestone. If I have to take some of the old stuff out because the bag is full that goes on the garden beds of fruits and vegetables

L

Letsgrowit

I ended up choosing to use the old COM stonington for other plants. Washed the grow bags in baking soda and vinegar, air dried them, and will use new soil.

Latest posts

Top Bottom