Lava rocks

• Thread starter FastForward
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FastForward

I want to use lava rocks in my waterfarm instead of hydroton - can I use the replacement bbq ones commonly available? (maybe smash them up a bit to make smaller)

(e.g. google campingaz lava rocks for UK ppl)

Kuntjoose

Kuntjoose

yeh man i would think so but i think i remember reading that they can cut up the roots if the plant is jostled around and that they are a bitch to clean and reuse. but they have better air and water retention than the hydroton. you would proly want to rinse em good when you first em like you would when u use hydroton.

F

FastForward

Cheers KJ....wanted to try to get away from hydroton for the waterfarm (can't stand the silting)...will give it a go and post results.

J

Jalisco Kid

If you have enough buckets you can get a small cement mixer with a plastic bucket drill holes in it and clean with a pressure washer. If you want you can buy x2 of what you need and soak your rocks in some enzyme like Carefree's pond protector. Let that clean your rocks. I have heard of one grower struggling with lava and found out it was leaching sulfates. If this is something you will invest in you can soak some dust of the lava and send it to a lab. Cost about 35 bucks in Cali. Suerte JK

Top Bottom