Lawyer challenges marijuana DUI laws in California

• Thread starter Cali smoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cali smoke

Cali smoke

Well-known California DUI lawyer Lawrence Taylor is now challenging whether DUI can be applied to marijuana usage.

Taylor is questioning whether marijuana impairs a person's ability to drive to the degree alcohol does. While there have been various tests regarding alcohol-impairment in driving, there are relatively few to support the same is true of cannabis.

The California Department of Justice has produced studies showing marijuana impairs the motor abilities that are needed for driving. This mostly occurs at high doses or among young, inexperienced drivers. Taylor is citing federal studies that contradict these findings.

One such study performed by the U.S. Department of Transportation researched the topic using a simulator to compare the affects of alcohol and marijuana, both separate and when combined. Alcohol created impairment across the board, while marijuana only occasionally impaired drivers.

Another study cited claims that cannabis, or THC, is not "profoundly impairing." Some information processing skills are impaired, but not to the ability that a person cannot control driving, according to the study.

A further issue over marijuana DUI laws is the fact that the drug is metabolized quickly but can stay in the body for hours or days. Traces of THC will remain in the body for weeks. Measuring these levels in blood tests may point to chemicals that have been in the body for days.

It would be difficult to prove a person was significantly impaired by marijuana at the time of an arrest for these reasons. First, marijuana only occasionally creates significant impairment, according to federal studies. Second, testing for marijuana use cannot pinpoint if and when the person was actually affected by the drug, only that it is in his or her system.

Laws in California are further complicated by the legal use of medicinal marijuana. Not every person who is found with marijuana in his or her system has even committed a crime. Some may have prescriptions for use of the drug, making the crime in effect no different than driving after taking anti-anxiety or anti-depressant medication.

Cali smoke

Cali smoke

n/p, if anyone has any mj related articles they'd like to see on the front page, feel free to pm me.

I

ismokepot

Most pot smokers who are not nubies will tell you they can drive fine while high. I tend to slow down and drive more carefully so I think I'm even a better driver while high.

S

Slips

Hmm I'm high every day and drive, just don't smoke and drive ... as it is as distracting as a cell phone .... now I don't think I would want to drive with someone who just took a toke for the first time ever either .... or someone who has taken way to many edibles.

As far as I'm concerned if you can pass a DUI test well high as I have, you should not be cited.

R

RIcaregiver

Most pot smokers who are not nubies will tell you they can drive fine while high. I tend to slow down and drive more carefully so I think I'm even a better driver while high.

Exactly, I'm much more aware and less of a speed demon especially on highways !!

Peace,
Bill

BC_Bud

BC_Bud

Premium Member
Supporter
Shit, I burned one just before I went to get my driver's license, passed without a problem :)

Now to me, booze is a totally different thing. All it takes is a couple of beers for me to start driving funny. It completely affects my cordination while driving a vehicle. So I never do it.

20north

why do they have to make more and more limits to everything

where the hell are the stupid laws for big corporations doing very wrong very wrong things to the public big companys get away with anything they want because they have the most money

all this will do is totaly screw up our medication , i think when i took xanax or valium and drove my car i would count how many accidents i would ALMOST get in to

i would run red lights and stop at green lights all the time

its way safer than pharmie farmed anxiaty medication

R

redog

Been doing it since 1976

Drive blinded all the time.Worked as a mechanic for a major airline for 16 plus years BLINDED.
I ain't buying it.
Been doing it for years.

H

headband707

Well-known California DUI lawyer Lawrence Taylor is now challenging whether DUI can be applied to marijuana usage.

Taylor is questioning whether marijuana impairs a person's ability to drive to the degree alcohol does. While there have been various tests regarding alcohol-impairment in driving, there are relatively few to support the same is true of cannabis.

The California Department of Justice has produced studies showing marijuana impairs the motor abilities that are needed for driving. This mostly occurs at high doses or among young, inexperienced drivers. Taylor is citing federal studies that contradict these findings.

One such study performed by the U.S. Department of Transportation researched the topic using a simulator to compare the affects of alcohol and marijuana, both separate and when combined. Alcohol created impairment across the board, while marijuana only occasionally impaired drivers.

Another study cited claims that cannabis, or THC, is not "profoundly impairing." Some information processing skills are impaired, but not to the ability that a person cannot control driving, according to the study.

A further issue over marijuana DUI laws is the fact that the drug is metabolized quickly but can stay in the body for hours or days. Traces of THC will remain in the body for weeks. Measuring these levels in blood tests may point to chemicals that have been in the body for days.

It would be difficult to prove a person was significantly impaired by marijuana at the time of an arrest for these reasons. First, marijuana only occasionally creates significant impairment, according to federal studies. Second, testing for marijuana use cannot pinpoint if and when the person was actually affected by the drug, only that it is in his or her system.

Laws in California are further complicated by the legal use of medicinal marijuana. Not every person who is found with marijuana in his or her system has even committed a crime. Some may have prescriptions for use of the drug, making the crime in effect no different than driving after taking anti-anxiety or anti-depressant medication.

Good for him I was wondering when someone would bring that up? Look how long ppl have been smoking and driving and nothing has happened. It's alcohol that causes all the problems always has been and they made that legal. The Gov. lies lol peace out Headband707

D

downdon

I think this is wonderful. Finally someone is going to challenge this Law.

D

Dgafaboutanyone

yeah that would be great if they got that shit thrown
out becuase i got a dui a few months for having pot in my system
well they pulled me over telling me there was a warrent on my plate....
i duno how that could have been i got the car a year ago and just registed
it then they change the subject and just asked me to step out
and say's i reek like pot and this and that doesnt belive me and take me
in and charges me with dui and read me my rights at the station
then go 2 court the da gives me all this bull shit that its a dui no matter what i did its in my system so i just pleaded guilty

MileHighChic

MileHighChic

ha ha..don't give a fuck about anyone...I like that name. Anyways..that sucks about your DUI. I've always drove and smoked in the car...it makes me a lot more awared and alert. But..it is a risk everyday and I'm just gonna chill, smoke at home or friend's house.

M

MediVapeMan

There is a vid on youtube of some researchers in Great Britain that did a fairly scientific study of driving under the influence of cannabis and the results suggested that Marijuana IMPROVED ones ability to drive an automobile safely. DUI for marijuana is serious bullshit though because it is in your system for so long. I would argue it was on my clothes from the day before. I would never ever plead guilty to that shit for any reason. You might as well get into your car and take somebody out if you get a DUI nowadays.

Latest posts

Top Bottom