Layering Propogation - Is It Still 1 Plant?

• Thread starter MamaBear
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Is a layered-propogated "multi-plant" considered 1 plant?

• Total voters
M

MamaBear

By pinning down the tips and letting them root (called “simple layering”) you get multiple root systems on 1 plant. If you cut the new rooted tip-plants off, you’ve got dirt-cloning. But if you DON'T cut each new rooted plant loose from the main plant, isn’t it still just 1 plant with several sets of roots along it’s stems?

Since I only get 1 grow per year (greenhouse), I’d like to increase production while still staying within my legal limit number of plants.

I’m planning on doing this for my PAK next year. She’s a tiny thing, stays under 3’ but spreads wide (perfect for layering). Great production for such a small plant but I still can’t get more than 2-3oz (dry) off her. She does great in a 3-gal pot (organic soil). If I use a 20-gal pot and tip-rooted her 3 times (for a total of 4 “plants”), it should take less space than 4 separate plants. I figure she’ll need some extra veg time but I can just start her early. Common sense says I should get 4x finished buds, maybe more since technically each of the 4 “linked” plants can draw nutrients from any of the 4 root systems.

But is this still only 1 plant?

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
By pinning down the tips and letting them root (called “simple layering”) you get multiple root systems on 1 plant. If you cut the new rooted tip-plants off, you’ve got dirt-cloning. But if you DON'T cut each new rooted plant loose from the main plant, isn’t it still just 1 plant with several sets of roots along it’s stems?

Since I only get 1 grow per year (greenhouse), I’d like to increase production while still staying within my legal limit number of plants.

I’m planning on doing this for my PAK next year. She’s a tiny thing, stays under 3’ but spreads wide (perfect for layering). Great production for such a small plant but I still can’t get more than 2-3oz (dry) off her. She does great in a 3-gal pot (organic soil). If I use a 20-gal pot and tip-rooted her 3 times (for a total of 4 “plants”), it should take less space than 4 separate plants. I figure she’ll need some extra veg time but I can just start her early. Common sense says I should get 4x finished buds, maybe more since technically each of the 4 “linked” plants can draw nutrients from any of the 4 root systems.

But is this still only 1 plant?
That is a good question. Because technically unless you separate the new shoot from the main plant, reason would tell you it is still 1 plant. But I would be curious how the law would be interpreted concerning plant count.

Homesteader

Homesteader

I don't get how would this help your situation in terms of production increase? Do apple orchards do this to get more fruit bodies? Focus on horizontal training IMO.

M

MamaBear

Do apple orchards do this to get more fruit bodies?
No, apple trees don't work this way. But it's how I (and most people) grow raspberries and strawberries. If PAK were a large plant, I could train her.
The same goes for Urkle - she's a small bushy plant. I can mess with horizontal training all day, she's not gonna get any bigger. So I'm looking for a different angle to increase plant size while staying organic.

Homesteader

Homesteader

...Are Strawberries and Raspberries perennials? How about Cannabis?

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
No, apple trees don't work this way. But it's how I (and most people) grow raspberries and strawberries. If PAK were a large plant, I could train her.
The same goes for Urkle - she's a small bushy plant. I can mess with horizontal training all day, she's not gonna get any bigger. So I'm looking for a different angle to increase plant size while staying organic.
You dont need to increase plant size you need to increase the amount of light reaching the bud sites. There are a few ways to do it, horizontal growing, supercropping and scrog, vertical lighting and lst.
Also bigger pots and longer veg times will grow bigger plants, I dont know that rooting them like that would grow the roots any better than a 20 gallon cloth pot and a good long veg.

NightsWatch

NightsWatch

\

She may not get taller but she will get wider with more shoots growing into buds there fore more yield ..
I always wanted to train a plant low and wide lets say covering 10 x 10 area one plant
as for your post like saying placing 20 plants into a 100 gallon pot no matter what its still 2o rooted stalks .
And 20 plants and 20,000 dollars worth of plants in there eyes even if it yielded 1 oz total
I think they rule 1000 dollar value of a plant no matter what size

M

MamaBear

This girl won't be able to do any of that. She only gets 3' tall, side branches only get about 12-18" long. And that's after 12 weeks veg in a greenhouse (full sun). How do I get more light than that? If I start her extra early in a huge pot, she may get a little bigger but not twice the size. She don't stretch at all - just goes right into bloom end of July.
This one is just way different than all the other plants I've grown and it's a real puzzle figuring out the best way to grow her. If she weren't so good, I wouldn't bother.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Force her growth into the top by taking away bottom branches leaves completely and again when they regenerate. This will trigger the plant hormones to the growing tips. She still wont stretch anymore in flower but this will allow you to get her laid out and ready for flower.

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

That is a good question. Because technically unless you separate the new shoot from the main plant, reason would tell you it is still 1 plant. But I would be curious how the law would be interpreted concerning plant count.
It's still one plant I'd imagine .would probably b a pain in the arse to do though

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
It's still one plant I'd imagine .would probably b a pain in the arse to do though
It is actually fairly simple to do. I have tried air layering several times and it works great. But compared to traditional cloning it is more difficult and time consuming.

xavier7995

xavier7995

I believe that legally it would be considered one plant until you removed the clone. Let's say for instance you break a limb and then wrap it in cloth to allow it to heal, roots could form. However it would be a hard legal fight (or not, law isn't on the side of weed) to demonstrate that a branch attached to plant could be considered it's own separate plant.

Then again, lsd gets weighed with whatever the substrate is and that doesn't make logical sense to me either.

Top Bottom