Leaf Claw And Some Wilt, Need Some Advice

• Thread starter DGP
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
chemistry

chemistry

The plant was only wet cause I took the dripper out to take the picture. Normally they are hidden under the coco mat that is preventing algae blooms.

I was doing 15 minutes on 45min off but I was warned about letting the roots dry out. However, I was still skeptical that they would dry out that fast. I have a timer capable of gong 15 on and 15 off but I don't have 24 hour resolution that will go any finer....digital ones only have 7 programs so every 10 is not possible with timers I currently have. Is there a timer that can do smaller increments out there? I looked around but didn't find any.

Just curious about your opinion: If DWC and RDWC have the roots in the water all the time then why would having moving water on the roots all the time matter or be a problem? Not being critical but just wondering.

Many times I don't get replies to posts so I really do appreciate the feedback.

D

Would it be possible to use two pumps and two timers to cover the 24 hour period until you find a permanent solution? Just a thought.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Would it be possible to use two pumps and two timers to cover the 24 hour period until you find a permanent solution? Just a thought.
Good Afternoon Chemistry.. Ready for the superbowl?
He really just needs to build his control bucket, and get it set up, and he will be golden..
He could build the bucket in an hr, and really he just needs to wait for a float valve, and he is cool..
You can tell, this one has more common sense, and will listen to directions..
I can't help anybody that won't let me...

chemistry

chemistry

Good Afternoon Chemistry.. Ready for the superbowl?
He really just needs to build his control bucket, and get it set up, and he will be golden..
He could build the bucket in an hr, and really he just needs to wait for a float valve, and he is cool..
You can tell, this one has more common sense, and will listen to directions..
I can't help anybody that won't let me...

Ready for any bowl dude. Yep, Wish has the patience of a saint, and I'll admit it, broke me in the end. :D

DGP

DGP

Growing cannabis seems easy but it really isn't. After a few years growing and doing deep water for 2 years I feel like I am just scratching the surface. I learned early on that I suck at soil growing. Sure I could grow a little but my first good harvest was not right out of the chute. In fact my first real harvest was only two cycles ago.

I know there are smart people here that have paid the price of growing underground and taking big risks. Even with all the legalization some live in states where they still have to risk everything including their freedom just to grow a silly plant. I respect those folks. For this reason and more I am all ears when it comes to building my growing skills. I offer some simple advice now and then to a brand new grower if it is a subject I do know but for the most part I am here to learn.

Thanks,

D

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Growing cannabis seems easy but it really isn't. After a few years growing and doing deep water for 2 years I feel like I am just scratching the surface. I learned early on that I suck at soil growing. Sure I could grow a little but my first good harvest was not right out of the chute. In fact my first real harvest was only two cycles ago.

I know there are smart people here that have paid the price of growing underground and taking big risks. Even with all the legalization some live in states where they still have to risk everything including their freedom just to grow a silly plant. I respect those folks. For this reason and more I am all ears when it comes to building my growing skills. I offer some simple advice now and then to a brand new grower if it is a subject I do know but for the most part I am here to learn.

Thanks,

D
And learn you will! By this time next year, you will be teaching others!
just get your float valve ordered.
:)
And some +life bacteria...

DGP

DGP

Ordered a 1/4 horse chiller today. What a relief I will not to have to haul 1 gallon ice containers in and out of the grow. Also, ordered a float valve.

One thing that is not clear to me is why some folks just use a single res without a control bucket and some use a system with a control bucket. Seems like if the pump dies in the control it will flood the grow....maybe I need redundant pumps in the control bucket.

D

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Ordered a 1/4 horse chiller today. What a relief I will not to have to haul 1 gallon ice containers in and out of the grow. Also, ordered a float valve.

One thing that is not clear to me is why some folks just use a single res without a control bucket and some use a system with a control bucket. Seems like if the pump dies in the control it will flood the grow....maybe I need redundant pumps in the control bucket.

D
Im not for sure what you mean. The only way you can use a chiller is if you have 2" pvc lines connecting all the buckets... Im not for sure if you quite understand the piping and water flow of the rdwc system.. When my lights turn on in an hr I will take pictures of mine..

DGP

DGP

Im not for sure what you mean. The only way you can use a chiller is if you have 2" pvc lines connecting all the buckets... Im not for sure if you quite understand the piping and water flow of the rdwc system.. When my lights turn on in an hr I will take pictures of mine..

Ok, cool I am curious to see the design you are using. Been doing a lot of reading and have seen some systems that feed water in the side of the bucket near the top of the rim and then return from the bottom back to the res with no control bucket. Then I have seen some that are using top feed rings with or without a control bucket so yeah it is a little confusing. Trying to work through it. there seem to be a lot of variations on the RDWC theme.

Thanks,

D

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Ok, cool I am curious to see the design you are using. Been doing a lot of reading and have seen some systems that feed water in the side of the bucket near the top of the rim and then return from the bottom back to the res with no control bucket. Then I have seen some that are using top feed rings with or without a control bucket so yeah it is a little confusing. Trying to work through it. there seem to be a lot of variations on the RDWC theme.

Thanks,

D
well there is some variation to what other have designed.. The know looking cool is half the battle to nubes..

710a7af139fcc25a73782b93bf171034
EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Ok,, the first pic is my control bucket. You see a 2" pvc come off it and T off to the 1st set of buckets. Then the next pic shows the 2" bulk heads and pvc pipe connector between the buckets. Then the 3rd pic is the 2" pvc coming off each end and meeting in the middle where it T's off to smaller 3/4 line with a filter and a valve.. and white 3/4 line which goes to my water pump, which pumps it up thru the black 3/4" black line out of the tent and thru my wall, into the chiller, and back thru the wall and intoi the tent.
The next picture shows the black 3/4 line coming back into the tent and hooking to the control bucket to complete the circle... Study that some and then draw it out on paper and shoot a puic at me and I see if you got it...

20180205 180932
20180205 181000
20180205 180949
20180205 181010
20180205 181034 HDR
20180205 181624
20180205 181057 HDR
20180205 181113
chemistry

chemistry

A guy on the Den grew in this system, grew some really good plants, TUCA, under current culture, don't know if he's on here or not, helped me a lot when I first started indoor growing, passed one if your on here dude. :smoking:

DGP

DGP

Ok,, the first pic is my control bucket. You see a 2" pvc come off it and T off to the 1st set of buckets. Then the next pic shows the 2" bulk heads and pvc pipe connector between the buckets. Then the 3rd pic is the 2" pvc coming off each end and meeting in the middle where it T's off to smaller 3/4 line with a filter and a valve.. and white 3/4 line which goes to my water pump, which pumps it up thru the black 3/4" black line out of the tent and thru my wall, into the chiller, and back thru the wall and intoi the tent.
The next picture shows the black 3/4 line coming back into the tent and hooking to the control bucket to complete the circle... Study that some and then draw it out on paper and shoot a puic at me and I see if you got it...
Well, from what I understand your system is an under current type. Do I understand exactly how it works....well no. I tried to diagram it out but don't quite get it yet. I will continue to study since there seems to be a lot written about the one your using as well as other systems like it.

Thanks,

D

P

Pwilliams

Recently I changed my DWC system and added top feed with the reservoir outside the grow room to keep the water cooler and to have a reservoir that is easier to maintain rather than 12 dang buckets to ph and change out.

However, before I switched it up I noticed some bad smell developing in the old buckets so I cleaned everything and rebuilt the system. When I look at the plants I see claw, some slight darkening of leaf tips indicating nitrogen toxicity, some leaf spotting (no bugs seen even at 100x) as well as some old roots that look like they were affected by the start of root rot but there are tons of new white roots coming out even from some of the slightly damaged roots. I think they are recovering but I wanted to get some other opinions so that I don't F it up worse.

Grow data:
1. Strain Cheese Quake f2
2. LED lights 12 cobs 3 x 4 at 12" spacing
3. 36" above plants (currently dimmed to 400 watts out of the wall)
4. Plants in 4th week after sprout
5. Nutes: GH Flora 3 part with some CalMag
6. Ppm: 350
7.Water: clear tap 50ppm or less
8. Use a low concentration of H2o2 (about .5ml/L)
9. Temp: 75f humidity about 55%
10. Water temp: 65 - 68f
11. Ph 5.8 to 6.2

View attachment 775130 View attachment 775131
Man

P

Pwilliams

Man what do you do? I've some say nitrogen, but the one discrbes it perfectly as WINDBURN? If so how do you treat it.? They say it comes from the fans being directly on them and symptoms are the claw and spots looks like nitrogen and toxicity, or lockout. Dwc not coco or soil.

DGP

DGP

My design layout for my room.
@EventHorizan let me know if this looks correct.

Thanks,

D

UC
DGP

DGP

The plants recovered from the original symptoms but I still want to put in a nicer system that I can run long term. So, I decided to go ahead with an undercurrent system. Will add the chiller between the pump and control bucket and the system will have a top off reservoir and a float valve that was not shown in my design layout. I am looking forward to having a system that is able to run without so much maintainence. Just adding the chiller to my current system is saving a ton of time already.

I am waiting for some additional parts to arrive that weren't available locally. Should have it running in test in a few days. Will prbably assemble it in the driveway and run it for a couple of hours before installation in the room.

Capture
The The most difficult thing to source was the square buckets. I would just buy a Current Culture system but they are over $2,000 for a 8 site setup and I think I have spent about $250 on my own. I would love to buy one but cannot afford their price point. my top feed system was mostly from parts in my shop so no real loss there and it was an interesting experiment.
20180210 065716

P

Pwilliams

I'm first and foremost a builder and if you are open to advice on your system I will share. I have a few revolutionary designs and concepts that im currently working on to bring to market but will share with you some of my findings about what's already out there being used, pros and cons. Hmu.

Top Bottom