Leaf death in Chocolope only. Phosphorus? Organocide?

• Thread starter saltr
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

saltr

Here's a pic of a couple of leaves from my Chocolope mother. I've never mothered her out before, and I've never had this issue. Her stems are also reddish.

She's currently in a 5 gal. smart pot with coco, getting:
5 mL cal-mag+
7.5-9 mL cns17 grow for coco (3-1-2)
5 mL hygrozyme
1 mL roots excel
3-5 mL silica blast
sometimes I hit her with 3-5 mL molasses or 3-5 mL microblast or 1/2 cap great white. All of my mothers are getting the same mix, the only other one with an issue is Ken's GDP with slightly reddish stems, but it's getting better.

My gut is a phosphorus deficiency, and I don't think I'm having a lockout, so I think I may switch to PBP for grow (3-2-4). I've always stuck with the cns17 in grow for the price, but I use PBP grow in transition so it wouldn't be hard to switch over, especially just for my moms.

The only other thing I can think of is that I recently started using Organocide to control PM and prevent gnats and mites. Could the Chocolope really be more sensitive to the Organocide than my other, often more troublesome plants?

Sick choc leavesjpg
deadcat

deadcat

yeah looks like phosphorus def, but can't be sure. May want to check your PH against a PH/Nute chart. From what I hear some strains can be more sensitive to nutes than others.

E

edux10

my leaves kinda looked like that when i had a low humidity problem in my tent.

what is your temp and humidity? may be an environmental problem if your nutes are on point.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The color of the petioles (looks reddish-purplish to me on this monitor) plus the ends of the leaves going necrotic also reads as a phosphorous problem to me.

No other issues?

S

saltr

Thank you all for your input!

I keep pH between 5.7 and 6.3 and environment is 70-80F, 40-60% RH, with the leaves dancing in the wind, so I should be good there.

Seamaiden: the petioles were the first thing to tip me off to a P-def, so I'm thinking that's it. The plant is also exhibiting similar-colored stems, but no other issues. I'm definitely going to try using the PBP instead of the cns17 and see if the added P makes a difference.

The more I think about it, the Organocide hunch really doesn't make much sense based on the patterned progression of the necrosis and the fact that none of my other, more finicky strains, have any issues with the spray.

I read lil miss lone's thread on root aphids and while the damage looks quite similar, I haven't noticed any remarkable activity on my yellow sticky traps.

L

lil miss lone

I read lil miss lone's thread on root aphids and while the damage looks quite similar, I haven't noticed any remarkable activity on my yellow sticky traps.

Nevermind then, lol. Good luck!

Z

zombywolf

How much (often) are you watering them? If I hadnt read the above and just looked at the picture, I would guess overwatering. Maybe the pots with those plants arent using water as fast as the others?

S

saltr

I hadn't even thought of over-watering (probably because I'm definitely not over-watering), but what leads you to believe that this could be caused by over-watering? While there are certainly many downfalls to over-watering, I've never seen this edge necrosis.

I water to ~10% runoff every 3-5 days, when the pots get super light. Before I had a job, I'd wait until an ever-so-slight wilt appeared to get a feel for the pot weight--one of the best things I've ever done. Since I've started waiting a little longer (I used to water every 3 days, religiously) I've noticed much healthier plants with hella explosive root growth.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Saltr, based on everything you've posted, I think you're looking at a P deficiency, for sure. Of course, as you already know, that would also explain why one girl of a different strain is showing this problem whereas the others aren't.

But I hear so many great things about going with the CNS line. Last year a friend tried pretty hard to get me to jump on it, but you really have to understand both your plants and how nutrients play together and I'm not there yet. This guy has over 30yrs growing experience, so he can play with the complex lines, it's too much for me right now.

B

BigCountry

The organocide thing might be a slight issue, but maybe not.
I've noticed necrosis similar to this from pyrethrum oil that is a bit harsher on plants. After a spray or dip, if there is oil redisue on the leaves (not just film, but shiny deposits) it can burn the leaf margins. A good way to prevent this would be to follow up your organocide spray a few days later with a good Nitrozyme spray. My two cents...

S

saltr

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate all of your feedback.

Seamaiden: I've been very very impressed with Dr. Morgan's work, so that's why I tried the cns in the first place (...and price). I'm definitely going to keep using it in veg for my babies, but now think that my moms (at least this one) may need the extra bump from PBP grow's NPK.

BigCountry: I don't use a very aggressive dilution of organocide and ensure to add surfactant, mix often, and gently shake the branches after spraying, so I don't have any oil droplets. Regardless, the Nitrozyme sounds like a good idea.

I watered two days ago with the PBP and haven't noticed very much progression of the necrosis, so I hope I'm all good. Those root aphids pics are hella scaring me either way, so I'll probably grab some Merit as long as I'm still in veg.

Top Bottom