Leaf going brown at tip/edge please help.

• Thread starter denoss
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

denoss

Hi guys I'm 5 weeks in with a photoperiod (gelat.og) and I've noticed the edges of a big fan leaf has started turning brown and looking crispy. Does anyone know what could be the cause of this? Currently I'm growing in a very small tent 60x40x60 but will be moving to a bigger tent in the next week, I've been making sure I've had the ph of the water between 6-7 and only just started to nute the plant with 4ml of terra vega per 1 litre of water.

I'm watering the plants every 2-3 days I'm doing runoffs and my ec was around 0.8 ph of 6.5, ppm was just under 500

I'm having to keep the plant very low with lst due to being in small tent but moving to bigger tent in a week.

If you need any more info then please let me know

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Leaf going brown at tipedge please help
Leaf going brown at tipedge please help 2
Leaf going brown at tipedge please help 3
T

Tyrant

Hi guys I'm 5 weeks in with a photoperiod (gelat.og) and I've noticed the edges of a big fan leaf has started turning brown and looking crispy. Does anyone know what could be the cause of this? Currently I'm growing in a very small tent 60x40x60 but will be moving to a bigger tent in the next week, I've been making sure I've had the ph of the water between 6-7 and only just started to nute the plant with 4ml of terra vega per 1 litre of water.

I'm watering the plants every 2-3 days I'm doing runoffs and my ec was around 0.8 ph of 6.5, ppm was just under 500

I'm having to keep the plant very low with lst due to being in small tent but moving to bigger tent in a week.

If you need any more info then please let me know

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

TIA
For me im thinking you don't need any nutes yet and your watering to often what type of soil are you using and are you letting the soil dry completely out before watering again. Also how high is your light up above the canopy. And what's your temps and humidity. I see it says 19 which is good for a dark time temp but could come up higher for lights on times. Looks like humidity says 58 that's pretty good there.

D

denoss

For me im thinking you don't need any nutes yet and your watering to often what type of soil are you using and are you letting the soil dry completely out before watering again. Also how high is your light up above the canopy.
Hi tyrant I'm using biobizz light soil I only water when the first inch of top layer of soil is dry every 2-3 days, the light I'm using is spiderfarmer sf1000 and the light is roughly 8 inches from the canopy due to being in a tiny tent I'm using 20 litre fabric pot in 60x40x60 tent aslo to correct imn4 weeks in not 5 sorry

Paleosoul

Paleosoul

Looks like it could be the beginning of a potassium deficiency.

I agree you are probably watering too often. If the soil is still damp when you water, it's too often. Pick up the pots when dry and judge when you need to water that way -- when the pots are light, water until the soil is fully wet. I am not seeing symptoms of over watering, though.

But I disagree on when to feed. After 5 weeks, they certainly want to be fed, unless your soil has a lot of organic nutes in it.

T

Trae1170

The tips may have Nute burn, have you tried flushing the plants with just PH'ed water and not feeding for 2-3 days?

T

Tyrant

Hi tyrant I'm using biobizz light soil I only water when the first inch of top layer of soil is dry every 2-3 days, the light I'm using is spiderfarmer sf1000 and the light is roughly 8 inches from the canopy due to being in a tiny tent I'm using 20 litre fabric pot in 60x40x60 tent aslo to correct imn4 weeks in not 5 sorry
I would raise your lights way up. Like 30 inches above the canopy and cut back on the watering. Maybe invest in a moisture tester. To help till you can determine by lifiting the pot. When it's ready to water it should feel like your lifting a pot of Styrofoam. You could weigh the pot dry on a scale then you would no when it needs to be watered by whieght untill you get a feel for it. As it looks tho I'd water once every 7-10 days. Also cut your nutes back give like half of what ypu are using. It will bounce back.

Pilted

Pilted

And first inch of soil being dry is not the proper way to do it, you wanna pick pot up and see if it's lite, first inch of soil being dry leaves a lot of soil being wet. Thinking if you adjust those two things, water when whole pot is dry and pull the light away a bit would help resolve the issue.

Pilted

Pilted

A good flush wouldn't hurt also, just in case it is nute burn but your runoff seems fine, so kinda took nute burn out the equation for me.

D

denoss

I would raise your lights way up. Like 30 inches above the canopy and cut back on the watering. Maybe invest in a moisture tester. To help till you can determine by lifiting the pot. When it's ready to water it should feel like your lifting a pot of Styrofoam. You could weigh the pot dry on a scale then you would no when it needs to be watered by whieght untill you get a feel for it. As it looks tho I'd water once every 7-10 days. Also cut your nutes back give like half of what ypu are using. It will bounce back.
Unfortunately I'm unable to raise my lights until I move into a bigger tent which will be on the 8th of June, I'll hold back on water until the soil is completely dry thanks

D

denoss

The tips may have Nute burn, have you tried flushing the plants with just PH'ed water and not feeding for 2-3 days?
I have only fed twice with a gap of watering every 2-3days, the last water was on the 2nd with just ph'ed water

D

denoss

And first inch of soil being dry is not the proper way to do it, you wanna pick pot up and see if it's lite, first inch of soil being dry leaves a lot of soil being wet. Thinking if you adjust those two things, water when whole pot is dry and pull the light away a bit would help resolve the issue.
OK thankyou once I'm in a bigger tent the light from canopy won't be an issue, but I was thinking maybe I've been over watering it. I will wait for it to go completely dry then water and check weight when I have watered compared to when it's dry

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
OK will flush next water thanks
don’t be flushing the medium..

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

OK will flush next water
Many folks don't recommend flushing, me included. There may be times when it would be helpful, but they are few.

I was thinking maybe I've been over watering it.
I think so. A soil moisture meter is inexpensive and can report the soil moisture deep down in the pot. I wait to water till the meter is at the low end of the scale at about an inch or two from the bottom. These plants like to let their roots dry. Then, just as you think there's not enough moisture for them to survive, water slowly and completely.

D

denoss

The plant is 4 weeks old and I've nute twice once with 3ml of canna terra vega per litre of water and once with 4ml I very much doubt its nute burn but I could be wrong I think I'm not letting the soil dry out enough before every water. I'm going to do a runoff the next time i water and check Ppm to see if I need to hold back on the nutes.

D

denoss

Many folks don't recommend flushing, me included. There may be times when it would be helpful, but they are few.

I think so. A soil moisture meter is inexpensive and can report the soil moisture deep down in the pot. I wait to water till the meter is at the low end of the scale at about an inch or two from the bottom. These plants like to let their roots dry. Then, just as you think there's not enough moisture for them to survive, water slowly and completely.
OK thanks for the advice đź‘Ť

Eledin

Eledin

don’t be flushing the medium..
I think he will be fine, he is phing his water and its biobizz light mix, it only has food for the first 3 weeks. The only downside is the ph buffer but if he is phing his water it doesnt matter, right? That said if its potassium deficiency it will only make it worse... As I said that substrate has food for the first 3 weeks from seed and he started giving nutes at week 5, so maybe not flushing would be better after all.
EDIT: I also agree with the soil moisture, pots 5 gallons or above can be still quite wet even if the top is dry. The best way is to feel the weight as people suggested. Biobizz light mix has 30% perlite but its still mostly peat (55% to be precise) and it has quite a lot of water absorption and retention, specially indoors.

Last edited:
Top Bottom