Leaf minors, spider mites, and aphids 😬 help!!

• Thread starter Letsgrowthroughit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
ok,. i’m in ontario,..
i buy 5 gallon pails between $125-150
try grow stores (ask them if not),..try farming supplies, it’s used a lot on horses etc,.. you would like to find 99.9-99% isopropyl,.

Z

Zab

Yep ok, I will check with the farming places here, and or tack shops maybe, thanks 😍 .

I have to go still write an intro sheesh, I've just been bombing around for the last 2 months reading and soaking up some wicked pics, (and picking up a lot of info), thanks to everyone here at the Farm🥰

Letsgrowthroughit

Letsgrowthroughit

You are bringing the pest eggs inside with a better environment to thrive without any of the natural predators to go after them. If you need to bring them inside for supplemental lighting you should use a shed or a garage. I ain’t gonna lie I would have been trying the same thing to save money on power but it’s too hot or cold where I reside to have made the same mistake.
No, I keep them outside. I have a light on my back porch.

Letsgrowthroughit

Letsgrowthroughit

not true the 50% strength isopropyl will kill all forms of the mite life stages and their eggs in one soaking/spraying,.. best to give a couple sprays over a couple days just to be sure,. obviously pesticide/insecticide companies don’t want you knowing this,…
yes i agree predator insects are good too but im not into maintaining or managing the plant to maybe get to a harvest,..
my grow now that i’ll be harvesting today/tomorrow was infected with spider and broad mites about 3 months ago,. the plants are stunningly beautiful (weekly updates on my thread),.
Thank you I will look into that!!!

Letsgrowthroughit

Letsgrowthroughit

50% strength isopropyl,, soak the plants,. though putting it outside will just continue the infestation,.
It was more so just a test to see if I can grow but now I love my girls and am trying to learn to get in full swing. Am I diluting the isopropyl? Ratio? Is this the right stuff?
B743D8BD 9C8A 43B5 9FC7 6A853F771D83

juanderer

juanderer

not true the 50% strength isopropyl will kill all forms of the mite life stages and their eggs in one soaking/spraying,.. best to give a couple sprays over a couple days just to be sure,. obviously pesticide/insecticide companies don’t want you knowing this,…
yes i agree predator insects are good too but im not into maintaining or managing the plant to maybe get to a harvest,..
my grow now that i’ll be harvesting today/tomorrow was infected with spider and broad mites about 3 months ago,. the plants are stunningly beautiful (weekly updates on my thread),.
Will a higher % iso be detrimental to the plant? I think I have a store-bought 80% spray bottle and was wondering if I could use that if I were in the situation.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Will a higher % iso be detrimental to the plant? I think I have a store-bought 80% spray bottle and was wondering if I could use that if I were in the situation.
just add water to mix it down,. as long as your between 50-60% your good, ive heard of people or person using 70% with no issues,.
also try to figure out where the mites came from as they have to be brought into the grow area to infect it, either by person, pet, wind,. they cannot walk to your plant and they don’t fly or jump, they only survive 3-11 days without plant material,. they hate soil surfaces as being vulnerable to predators,. high humidity slows down the mite cycle, low humidity will help them populate,.

Letsgrowthroughit

Letsgrowthroughit

I checked close by trees, bushes and plants and come to find out leaf miners are everywhere 😬 will a small green house help keep them out if I be extra careful with entering in only clean clothes straight out of the house? Or am I kind of screwed? Can’t do an inside grow out of respect for others in my home. Legal or not some just don’t like the smell 🙄😂

Letsgrowthroughit

Letsgrowthroughit

Also… does anyone know how long I should wait before introducing predatory bugs after spraying capt. jacks? I’m going to give it one more spray tomorrow for anything that hatches, but want to flush it out and then introduce a more natural pest control, has anybody used ladybugs? I am not a very big bug person so I tried to find one I wouldn’t mind landing on me lol don’t judge me, I’m still a girl. 😂😂😂🤷🏼‍♀️

Letsgrowthroughit

Letsgrowthroughit

Keeping the iso tip in my mind as well but need more info. That one seems scary and the sun may play a factor in drying out the plant too much but I’m thinking I need multiple control methods going with the nuisance of a back yard tree with falling leaves all year long, that I have here.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Keeping the iso tip in my mind as well but need more info. That one seems scary and the sun may play a factor in drying out the plant too much but I’m thinking I need multiple control methods going with the nuisance of a back yard tree with falling leaves all year long, that I have here.
i did post about it, starting here, might be a bit annoying going through post but,.. and these same plants are the ones i’m about to harvest anyday now,..
Post in thread 'What’s GNick55 up too'
https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/what’s-gnick55-up-too.122736/post-3048079

Letsgrowthroughit

Letsgrowthroughit

i did post about it, starting here, might be a bit annoying going through post but,.. and these same plants are the ones i’m about to harvest anyday now,..
Post in thread 'What’s GNick55 up too'
https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/what’s-gnick55-up-too.122736/post-3048079
Great read!! Thank you that is more helpful than I hoped for and definitely gonna do the iso next if capt jacks didn’t work. I’m not seeing any movement on the plants but obviously hard to tell with the minors being that the larva is inside of the leaf, but I’m not seeing new damage so that has to be a good sign, but when it comes to the mites and aphids, I am pretty sure they all died off in past 2 days

Misanthrope

Misanthrope

I don't have any experience with the other little bastards but I've been fighting/living with aphids for the past 18 months....Ladybugs are a godsend and miraculously available from Home Depot, at least in Ontario Canada....they don't seem to eat the nymph aphids so they won't eradicate the infestation but definitely keep it in check
The other option (and can be used with the ladybugs) is insecticidal soap. You can pay too much or follow any online DIY recipe to make some for pennies, I've tried both and they work identically: a writhing painful death on contact for the little fuckers.
I've realized the only way to get completely free from aphids is to start fresh and I need a significant personal use stockpile before I can do that.

Letsgrowthroughit

Letsgrowthroughit

I don't have any experience with the other little bastards but I've been fighting/living with aphids for the past 18 months....Ladybugs are a godsend and miraculously available from Home Depot, at least in Ontario Canada....they don't seem to eat the nymph aphids so they won't eradicate the infestation but definitely keep it in check
The other option (and can be used with the ladybugs) is insecticidal soap. You can pay too much or follow any online DIY recipe to make some for pennies, I've tried both and they work identically: a writhing painful death on contact for the little fuckers.
I've realized the only way to get completely free from aphids is to start fresh and I need a significant personal use stockpile before I can do that.
I only seen one aphid and killed it so I’m hoping I caught it before it got to that. My biggest issue was spider mites and leaf miners but of course Now I’m seeing thrips 🤦🏼‍♀️ fml I got a lot of great advice to I’m just gonna put them all in their own spots away from each other and experiment on each lol I’m gonna do a summer grow so might as well get as much experience as I can with these! Have a green house setup coming for my summer grow.

N

Natep

Using beneficial insects will give you continuing control. I tried a million differnt pesticides when I grew synthetic. Nothing really worked. I used predators and problem was solved.

DECB5DB9 19AC 4A68 B971 D76948B090F0
Letsgrowthroughit

Letsgrowthroughit

Using beneficial insects will give you continuing control. I tried a million differnt pesticides when I grew synthetic. Nothing really worked. I used predators and problem was solved.
Thank you!! When I set up my small greenhouse I ordered today I’m for sure going to release some predatory bugs inside.

Letsgrowthroughit

Letsgrowthroughit

Maybe plant (and surround your ladies) with some basil and rosemary
Yes I was just reading something like that and was wondering which plants to get. I should do that in the green house with the lady bugs!! Thank you! Or do you think outside the green house surrounding it?

Top Bottom