Leafs Curling When Using C02

• Thread starter Steven123
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Steven123

Hello could do with some advice I am running a sealed room with a opticlimate, opticlimate c02 controller, I am using a c02 burner, everytime it's used it is effecting my plants it makes them droop and the leafs start hooking even when the c02 is on 500ppm, any ideas to why? Thanks.

Midnightgardener

Midnightgardener

check that your LP tank is not leaking, usually that causes the plant to droop (off gassing) C02 @ 500ppm will not cause your plants to droop, there also could be a issue with your burner.

Opticlimates can be a headache. Lynx system works better IMO.

Good luck
regards
MG

Wee Zard

Wee Zard

Hello could do with some advice I am running a sealed room with a opticlimate, opticlimate c02 controller, I am using a c02 burner, everytime it's used it is effecting my plants it makes them droop and the leafs start hooking even when the c02 is on 500ppm, any ideas to why? Thanks.

Might be temperature.

Plants don't seem to benefit from added CO2 if the temperature is <90F.

In fact, it asphyxiates them by displacing Oxygen in the root zone.

Also lowers PH through formation of carbonic acid.

Just my 2 grams.

Aloha,
Wee 'zard

S

Steven123

Hello Could it be that my c02 controller isn't properly calibrated?

cephalopod

cephalopod

Pics are probably the best bit of information you can give the community, it's really hard to say whats what without them.

Midnightgardener

Midnightgardener

the opticlimate C02 uses a dual sensor for calabration, I dont think that is the issue. What PPM does it read in a normal room? 400?

Regards
MG

S

Steven123

It was reading 134, the manual calibration was way out, so I set the manual calibration to 0 and then auto calibrated it now it sits at 400ppm. I've done that about an hour ago so maybe that was the problem?

Dunge

Dunge

Get some pics going so we can share in the recovery process.

T

Tylrr420

Hey @Steven123. I am interested in the same question you are asking bud. I recently bought the hydroGEN pro water cooled c02 burner and I have to say my plants DON'T LIKE IT. Initially I thought it was the coolest thing ever upon arrival and plugging It in for the first time. Thing fired right up, didnt put off to much heat, and got my co2 where it needed to be (1500). Which in my opinion is way to high. Unfortunately, I can't turn it down since the hydrogen pro co2 monitor isn't adjustable (dumb as fuck) so it stays at 1500 when plugged in. For the longest time people were telling me the co2 wasn't the prob and that wasn't the reason why my plants were looking like a nitrogen deficiency. It wasn't until 2 weeks later when I was to lazy to fill up the propane tank that my plants snapped right back into health. I was kind of in denial that it was the burner. My friend has a co2 setup (with a bottle and regulator not propane) and she rocks her ppms at 1500 steady sometimes I see it reading 2000+ and her plants THRIVE. So someone please tell me why I'm getting different results with a different method of co2

S

smoothbud

Hey @Steven123. I am interested in the same question you are asking bud. I recently bought the hydroGEN pro water cooled c02 burner and I have to say my plants DON'T LIKE IT. Initially I thought it was the coolest thing ever upon arrival and plugging It in for the first time. Thing fired right up, didnt put off to much heat, and got my co2 where it needed to be (1500). Which in my opinion is way to high. Unfortunately, I can't turn it down since the hydrogen pro co2 monitor isn't adjustable (dumb as fuck) so it stays at 1500 when plugged in. For the longest time people were telling me the co2 wasn't the prob and that wasn't the reason why my plants were looking like a nitrogen deficiency. It wasn't until 2 weeks later when I was to lazy to fill up the propane tank that my plants snapped right back into health. I was kind of in denial that it was the burner. My friend has a co2 setup (with a bottle and regulator not propane) and she rocks her ppms at 1500 steady sometimes I see it reading 2000+ and her plants THRIVE. So someone please tell me why I'm getting different results with a different method of co2
CO2 is different with a burner than with a bottle. With a bottle you can just be sealed room and its great. I personally prefer 1050 ppm with a bottle no ventilation. A burner will produce more than just CO2, there will also be some other hydrocarbons and also no burner has 100% combustion. So with a burner you will also have a very small percent of uncombusted propane/natural gas. Many of the people that are successful with burners will vent the room 2-3 times a day, this will keep the unwanted exhaust from the burner from getting too high of an accumulation.

Wee Zard

Wee Zard

Excellent thought!
And easy to check.
Run down to Wallyworld and buy a Carbon Monoxide detector.

If it so much as peeps, adjustments are in order.

Aloha,
Weeze

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

Your unit is either leaking or there is some weird shit in your propane that's causing offgassing...biggest reason I stick with co2 tanks even though they're a total pain in the ass. I've seen a 40 light room completely dead from ac units blowing out a pilot.

Skuna Tuna

Skuna Tuna

whats ur elevation/altitude of your grow? if your above 5,000 feet, u need to be running a High Altitude burner.

S

Steven123

I'm using an auto polite, my elevation isn't that high no where near.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

My bet would be ethylene coming from the burner/combustion process itself,lots of us have had the same problem.Some people vent and some use bottled,both work.Only way i would even try a burner again is if it was a very large space,I think even some large production facilities use bottled for that reason.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Like @fishwhistle mentioned you are getting other elements other than C02 using that burner. My partner had same symptoms. We set up another vent fan rated for the cubic feet of space based on CFM flow. Set it on a timer. It licks on 4 times a lights on cycle and walahhhhh no more issues. Works like a charm.

S

Steven123

The room is about 12 SQ metres.. What size venting fan is suitable.

MGRox

MGRox

Something else possibly to consider, though I'm just adding this for awareness. I'm not trying to solve anything here.

At any rate. By products from reduction of nitrate in plant tissues Does compete for CO2 uptake in plants. CO2 and Nitrate Reductase pathways are interconnected to some degree. In cases where Nitrate nitrogen is the only source and CO2 is low or atmospheric; then CO2 uptake will be reduced by as much as 30%. Conversely, elevated levels of CO2 will lower the plants ability to form nitrate reductase and thus lower its' ability to assimilate nitrate nitrogen. This does not occur with NH4 as the nitrogen source as it does not rely on nor is it invovled with Nitrate reductase.

It is possible maybe (if your feeding Nitrate nitrogen only) that your CO2 levels are negatively impacting your plants ability to uptake nitrate. If this is the case; you can eliminate this via; A. lowering CO2, or B. use other forms of nitrogen to make up your total N (e.g. NH4 or NO2).

EDIT: I should also note that this interconnection and response occurs BEFORE any other plant signals can happen. E.G response from low or excess nitrate, etc.

S

smoothbud

The room is about 12 SQ metres.. What size venting fan is suitable.
That would be 129 square feet. With a cieling of 9 feet (guessing here) a 232 cfm fan would do for you. Maybe less even. The conventional wisdom is a fan that will vent the cubic feet volume of the room in 5 min. take your square feet x height to get cubic feet in room. If your room is 9 foot tall you will have 1162 cubic feet. divided by 5 gives you 232 cfm fan which will vent 1160 feet in 5 min. So look for a fan near that cfm rating. Vent for 15 min. per venting cycle.

Top Bottom