Leafs Curling When Using C02

• Thread starter Steven123
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Herb Forester

Herb Forester

Something else possibly to consider, though I'm just adding this for awareness. I'm not trying to solve anything here.

At any rate. By products from reduction of nitrate in plant tissues Does compete for CO2 uptake in plants. CO2 and Nitrate Reductase pathways are interconnected to some degree. In cases where Nitrate nitrogen is the only source and CO2 is low or atmospheric; then CO2 uptake will be reduced by as much as 30%. Conversely, elevated levels of CO2 will lower the plants ability to form nitrate reductase and thus lower its' ability to assimilate nitrate nitrogen. This does not occur with NH4 as the nitrogen source as it does not rely on nor is it invovled with Nitrate reductase.

It is possible maybe (if your feeding Nitrate nitrogen only) that your CO2 levels are negatively impacting your plants ability to uptake nitrate. If this is the case; you can eliminate this via; A. lowering CO2, or B. use other forms of nitrogen to make up your total N (e.g. NH4 or NO2).

EDIT: I should also note that this interconnection and response occurs BEFORE any other plant signals can happen. E.G response from low or excess nitrate, etc.
Damn, lightbulbs popping here, been messing with NH4 and co2 levels lately and had no idea I was watching this^.

Midnightgardener

Midnightgardener

If the plants are only drooping when the c02 is turned on then I would replace the burner and try again. I have had Hotboxx stop working a few times, also check your connections for leaks by spraying soapy water onto them.
Even though the opticlimate claims its a closed system you still need atleast 100m3 per m2 of air out, so in your case it would be 1200 m3 exhaust.

Top Bottom